Hastings Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
DildaMan

Bronze

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Post by DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Nice, are you headed to SLS instead of UCB now?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Yup. Withdrew my app when I accepted at Berkeley per their email. Got a call from Faye Deal notwithstanding. Couldn't say no, and could honestly tell Berkeley that unforeseen circumstances arose.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm

lisavj wrote:Also really hoping to do some writing on tax policy and churches as 501(c)3's - is a tax break a subsidy? how does that interact with, oh, say certain amendments, etc. Should there be a housing tax allowance? Should the ACA only permit religious exceptions to the tax penalty for Christian Scientists...that sort of stuff. (And Prof Bankman tells me there is oh so much more to plumb here - yay!)
Sounds interesting! Are you planning on trying to get it published in one of the Stanford Law Reviews?

Getting something published is one is one of my main academic goals for law school. I loved working on undergraduate research during college, so I am looking forward to trying to take it to the next level.

The University of California (at least in the campuses run by the regents) has a very strong reputation in research. I am curious as to whether the love of research holds true among the professors at Hastings as well, since Hastings doesn't follow the regents' commands.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:42 am

apollo2015 wrote:
lisavj wrote:Also really hoping to do some writing on tax policy and churches as 501(c)3's - is a tax break a subsidy? how does that interact with, oh, say certain amendments, etc. Should there be a housing tax allowance? Should the ACA only permit religious exceptions to the tax penalty for Christian Scientists...that sort of stuff. (And Prof Bankman tells me there is oh so much more to plumb here - yay!)
Sounds interesting! Are you planning on trying to get it published in one of the Stanford Law Reviews?

Getting something published is one is one of my main academic goals for law school. I loved working on undergraduate research during college, so I am looking forward to trying to take it to the next level.

The University of California (at least in the campuses run by the regents) has a very strong reputation in research. I am curious as to whether the love of research holds true among the professors at Hastings as well, since Hastings doesn't follow the regents' commands.
You have a very high chance of getting published at Hastings--some secondaries publish 1/2 their members' Notes.

Every legal prof. tries to publish a lot cuz it's what tenure and dat prestige is based on, but lol @ legal academia. Truly the greatest of circle jerks. I don't think Hastings is any more or less noteworthy, though we do have a few profs who the SCOTUS routinely cites (Park, Marcus, Faigman).

(I'm submitting 3 papers for publication in next few months and want in.)

success888

New

Post by success888 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

anyone here looking for apartments near hastings? i'm having trouble finding single bedroom apartments near the school, and the tower is full. if anyone needs a roommate, let me know!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 am

apollo2015 wrote:

I am curious as to whether the love of research holds true among the professors at Hastings as well, since Hastings doesn't follow the regents' commands.
Yes and yes. Academia is still publish or perish, no matter what the regents command or decree. I would like to be published, but am not yet - have to find a topic first (someone already wrote about the housing thingy).

I had 2 profs ask me about RAing during 2L year - it's pretty easy to find that sort of gig if you a) express interest and b) show up to class having done the reading/are competent. Also pretty easy to find a prof to help you with your note/research if you are engaged/go to office hours/are competent. Hastings has some really awesome profs who not only are good at teaching but seem to really enjoy it and be invested in training the next crop of lawyers (IMHO).

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 pm

hey 1Ls - did you get your class schedules yet? I'll be happy to sell my VERY used textbooks to you (I'm open to compromise but I mean like $25). E&Es, too.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Hastings bros, go to the book pile on floor 22 of the Tower before buying books. Myself and a few other friends will be dropping off a ton of books for assorted 1L and 2L classes.

surfSD

New

Post by surfSD » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:hey 1Ls - did you get your class schedules yet? I'll be happy to sell my VERY used textbooks to you (I'm open to compromise but I mean like $25). E&Es, too.

Just got the schedule today! I have Evan Lee for crim, shwartz for property, and dodson for civ pro... any thoughts on those professors?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 pm

surfSD wrote:
ilovesf wrote:hey 1Ls - did you get your class schedules yet? I'll be happy to sell my VERY used textbooks to you (I'm open to compromise but I mean like $25). E&Es, too.

Just got the schedule today! I have Evan Lee for crim, shwartz for property, and dodson for civ pro... any thoughts on those professors?
Sorry I had depoorter for property, diamond for crim, and mammen for civ pro. We had Evan lee for 2 weeks as a sub and he seemed really cool and super nice.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:03 pm

surfSD wrote: Just got the schedule today! I have Evan Lee for crim, shwartz for property, and dodson for civ pro... any thoughts on those professors?
Schwartz is a really nice older lady, she kinda comes off as a wisecracking granny. I am not sure how she teaches 1L courses, but she was fine for W&T. I don't think she will be a harsh cold caller.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:51 pm

hiima3L wrote:Hastings bros, go to the book pile on floor 22 of the Tower before buying books. Myself and a few other friends will be dropping off a ton of books for assorted 1L and 2L classes.
Thanks for the heads up. When is the best time to go by there? This week, or should we wait until closer to the start of school?

Time to look up the curve on my professors.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 am

apollo2015 wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Hastings bros, go to the book pile on floor 22 of the Tower before buying books. Myself and a few other friends will be dropping off a ton of books for assorted 1L and 2L classes.
Thanks for the heads up. When is the best time to go by there? This week, or should we wait until closer to the start of school?

Time to look up the curve on my professors.
It's open 24/7, so go whenever. It's a free book pile.

For those of you taking Schwartz for Property, I am very sorry. I had her 1L year when it was her first time teaching it, and she was hands down the worst prof I had at Hastings. Do yourself a favor and buy the Emanuel's, because that was what she would read from literally verbatim. And now that I have post-bar perspective, I think bar materials teach property infinitely better than a casebook or prof does. Get your hands on some to learn the black letter law. PM me if you want some suggestions. This also goes for you 2Ls learning Evidence and Con Law 2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mathnerd

New

Post by mathnerd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Other than buying books from 2Ls, is Amazon generally a good place to buy used text books?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

mathnerd wrote:Other than buying books from 2Ls, is Amazon generally a good place to buy used text books?
I bought all mine from amazon prime, but I liked new books so I could highlight the cr@p out of em. Free shipping is awesome.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 pm

I'll have Takacs for Torts, Martinez for Contracts, and Hillman for Civil Procedure.

Who does everyone else have?

(Or who did you previously have, in the case of our wonderful 2Ls/3Ls.)

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:17 pm

mathnerd wrote:Other than buying books from 2Ls, is Amazon generally a good place to buy used text books?
I like looking at a used book before I purchase. I've gotten some near mint ones from Amazon and some total crap ones too. Its a mixed bag.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:22 pm

apollo2015 wrote:I'll have Takacs for Torts, Martinez for Contracts, and Hillman for Civil Procedure.

Section 5 had

Torts : Takacs
Contracts : Knapp
Civil Procedure : Mammen

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:24 pm

DildaMan wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:I'll have Takacs for Torts, Martinez for Contracts, and Hillman for Civil Procedure.

Section 5 had

Torts : Takacs
Contracts : Knapp
Civil Procedure : Mammen
That's me. Apollo send me your email address and I'll send you my torts outline and tell you what you need to do for takacs to get an A

success888

New

Post by success888 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey all! Was wondering who is running the Hastings c/o 2012 FB group, because they haven't accepted my request to join yet. :(

So, who is in my section?? This is my schedule:

Legal Writing & Research: Mon 5-7pm - Lambert
Torts: Mon,Wed 10:50-11:50am -Reiss
Property: Tues, Thurs 1:10-3:20pm - Depoorter
Contracts: Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs 9:40-10:40 - Prince

Any tips or possibly notes for these professors? Thanks! :)

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 pm

success888 wrote:Hey all! Was wondering who is running the Hastings c/o 2012 FB group, because they haven't accepted my request to join yet. :(

So, who is in my section?? This is my schedule:

Legal Writing & Research: Mon 5-7pm - Lambert
Torts: Mon,Wed 10:50-11:50am -Reiss
Property: Tues, Thurs 1:10-3:20pm - Depoorter
Contracts: Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs 9:40-10:40 - Prince

Any tips or possibly notes for these professors? Thanks! :)
Send me an email address, I'll send you something about depoorter

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lucield

New

Post by lucield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:59 pm

I had prince for contracts, so i can tell you about that if you're curious.

also to all incoming 1l's, i have all my 1L textbooks for sale with some supplements - if interested shoot me a pm. most are in good condition.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:04 pm

ilovesf wrote: That's me. Apollo send me your email address and I'll send you my torts outline and tell you what you need to do for takacs to get an A
Messaged! Thank you!
success888 wrote:Hey all! Was wondering who is running the Hastings c/o 2012 FB group, because they haven't accepted my request to join yet. :(
Melissa just added the most recent wave of 1Ls to the group. If she didn't get to yours yet, send me a PM.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm

success888 wrote: Legal Writing & Research: Mon 5-7pm - Lambert
Is that Fred Lambert? If so, I'm sorry

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:58 pm

I heard lwr counts this year in your gpa too, lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?