Hastings Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kapital98

Silver

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Post by kapital98 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If any of the people from sections 2, 3, or 4 are still here, I am curious as to how many people in your sections dropped out prior to finals.

For Section One the bodycount was 2 for sure, and probably a 3rd guy (unless he was one of the UCSF MSLs).

Edit:
And to any of our 2Ls/3Ls/etcs, I'd be curious to hear what the attrition rate was for your sections at this point during your 1L years.
I was section 4 last year, and I definitely remember that we had one person drop out before finals, but the bigger hit came at the start of second semester. I also know that there was at least 1 guy who did like the first week of 2nd semester classes only to decide to drop out as well.

I'm somewhat curious as to why people drop out before finals even take place...it's like you've already paid your money, why not take the chance?
I completely agree.

Also, the way they gave us grades back last year was very strange. They waited until the 2nd week of classes to give back first semester grades. Not cool.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If any of the people from sections 2, 3, or 4 are still here, I am curious as to how many people in your sections dropped out prior to finals.

For Section One the bodycount was 2 for sure, and probably a 3rd guy (unless he was one of the UCSF MSLs).

Edit:
And to any of our 2Ls/3Ls/etcs, I'd be curious to hear what the attrition rate was for your sections at this point during your 1L years.
I was section 4 last year, and I definitely remember that we had one person drop out before finals, but the bigger hit came at the start of second semester. I also know that there was at least 1 guy who did like the first week of 2nd semester classes only to decide to drop out as well.

I'm somewhat curious as to why people drop out before finals even take place...it's like you've already paid your money, why not take the chance?
My friend had made up his mind to drop out around the beginning of November, so he figured why not go to class and hang out with friends before moving back home once classes were over.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:04 pm

kapital98 wrote:Also, the way they gave us grades back last year was very strange. They waited until the 2nd week of classes to give back first semester grades. Not cool.
Oh my. I admire their moxie for devising such a nefarious scheme. By waiting until we're busy with our next round of classes, they ensure that people with relatively lower grades don't feel like they have sufficient time to contemplate dropping out, and plus by that point the students already feel emotionally invested in their Spring courses. That explains why none of our grades have been revealed yet.

In other news, Professor Hillman is going to be the new Academic Dean. Does anyone have any idea if she is expected to bring any reforms in her new role, or if she will maintain the status quo?

The role of Academic Dean is to:
Oversee academic programs including:
- All Faculty matters
- The development of departments including law library, clinics, centers, admissions and
financial aid, records and career services
- Department support
Her Civ Pro classes included a lot of projects that were done in conjunction with the Torts classes, as well as including group projects. I suppose we will see more interdisciplinary things like that in the 1L Curriculum. That would also be in line with her existing role on the Hastings Committee to "Create Outstanding Professionals to Solve 21st Century Problems".

She has an interest in Military Law, so perhaps we might see the creation of a Military Aid Clinic.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Grades are coming out today.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Grades are coming out today.
Good luck to all the 1Ls! If your grades aren't that great, don't be discouraged. A lot of my friends improved drastically second semester. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Any success stories? This is the perfect place to get bragging out of your system. I want to hear about some A+'s!!!! :)

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Our Chancellor is more badass then your Chancellor. Here admissions are based upon GPA, LSAT, and how good of a biker you are.

For the benefit of future Hastings Sharks, I will list when the professors released their grades (or when the records office posted them. whichever):

Section 1:
Martinez/Contracts: Wednesday, Jan 2nd
Takacs/Torts: later on Wednesday, Jan 2nd
Jung/Torts: Thursday, Jan 3rd
Hillman/Civil Procedure I: Friday, Jan 4th
LWRs: later on Friday, Jan 4th for at least some LWR sections

We found it interesting that the Contracts grades came out first, since we took the Contracts final a week after the Torts final.

Section 2:
All(?) were posted by Friday, Jan 4th except for LWR
LWRs were posted by Saturday, Jan 5th

Section 3:
Unknown.

Section 4:
All(?) were posted except for Property by Friday, Jan 4th
Property was posted Saturday, Jan 5th

nagelbett

New

Post by nagelbett » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Any success stories? This is the perfect place to get bragging out of your system. I want to hear about some A+'s!!!! :)
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so, I will definitely take this chance to boast.
I got an "A" in torts, contracts and LWR, and a "B+" in civpro. Thanks a lot to some of the people on this forum who helped me and gave advice as well, I always paid close attention to whatever you said, as all of you had success in your first year.

As the second semester starts, I wonder if you guys have any advice or possible outlines that you would not mind sharing for these professors:

1. Con law - Lee
2. Crim - Marcus
3. Property - Carillo
4. Employment - Bornstein

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

had Carrillo for Comm'y Property; I liked her a lot. She makes her own study supplement for CP, and studying that exclusively got me an A in that course. I don't know whether she does this for the 1L course.

heard good things about Lee, but never had him.

heard bad things about Richard Marcus, if that's who your crim prof is. but he usually teaches Civpro, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sheydabi

New

Post by sheydabi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Last edited by sheydabi on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 pm

nagelbett wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so, I will definitely take this chance to boast.
I got an "A" in torts, contracts and LWR, and a "B+" in civpro. Thanks a lot to some of the people on this forum who helped me and gave advice as well, I always paid close attention to whatever you said, as all of you had success in your first year.

As the second semester starts, I wonder if you guys have any advice or possible outlines that you would not mind sharing for these professors:

1. Con law - Lee
2. Crim - Marcus
3. Property - Carillo
Marcus is teaching Crim?

Oh god I can't imagine how entertaining that would be.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 pm

sheydabi wrote:Hi Everyone,

I too wanted to get your collective advice on my profs for next semester. Also ditto on what was previously said: advice for my first semester was very helpful :-) Allowed me to survive while maintaing some sanity.

Second semester:

1) Civ Pro - Marcus
2) Crim Law - Diamond
3) Con Law - Paul
4) Tax - Field
Do not sit in the first row of Diamonds class.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

ilovesf wrote: Do not sit in the first row of Diamonds class.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or near the edge of any row. Best yet, sit right in the middle of each section of seats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nagelbett

New

Post by nagelbett » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am

hiima3L wrote:
nagelbett wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

1. Con law - Lee
2. Crim - Marcus
3. Property - Carillo
Marcus is teaching Crim?

Oh god I can't imagine how entertaining that would be.
Nevermind, I don't know why I said Marcus is teaching Crim. I checked it is actually Little. No clue why I mixed that up... :roll:

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm

sheydabi wrote:Hi Everyone,

I too wanted to get your collective advice on my profs for next semester. Also ditto on what was previously said: advice for my first semester was very helpful :-) Allowed me to survive while maintaing some sanity.

Second semester:

1) Civ Pro - Marcus
2) Crim Law - Diamond
3) Con Law - Paul
4) Tax - Field
Field is a good prof who knows that she's teaching a complex subject. Last spring I realized, after I had already signed in for the final, that I left my calculator at home. Turned out I didn't need it (everything was super-round numbers like $10,000 or 30%). She's easily one of my favorite instructors ever.

I concur with what was said before about Diamond. Also, he's just entertaining as all get-out.

Finally, the thing about Marcus is that he's REALLY polarizing. I know students who believe he was hands-down the best prof they ever had, and other students who think he was a total waste of time. I definitely liked him as a prof, but I know many in my class did not. Just keep an open mind before you pass judgment (though I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for disliking him, it's just how it is).

I haven't heard anything about Paul, so good luck with that! Have a good semester!

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 am

10error10error10error . . . 10error10error10error. Two spaces between sentences. Spaces between the periods in ellipses. So glad that's over.

Anyone considering being one of our Moot Court heroes for next year?

It sounds like the current moot court season is going pretty well for us what with our school's big win in Davis, Jessup going to the internationals, the Mardi Gras championship, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”