IUB class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
gummy19vp

New

IUB class of 2015

Post by gummy19vp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

Anyone looking for a roommate?

gummy19vp

New

Re: IUB class of 2015

Post by gummy19vp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 pm

No future Hoosiers out there??

rijed

New

Post by rijed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:05 am

Have you received your admission packet yet? I was admitted but have still not received the packet.

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

gummy19vp wrote:No future Hoosiers out there??
I'll most likely be heading to Bloomington in the summer. Probably living with the girlfriend, but you're welcome to come over and drink whenever.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:38 pm

gummy19vp wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate?
I'm considering it. I'm a better human being when I have a roommate. I eat healthier, I go to bed at a reasonable time, I don't watch as much tv... just because I don't want people to judge me. So I figure that self-consciousness of having a roommate will make me be a better student. But on the other hand, I really enjoy occasionally completely wasting a Saturday by watching college football all day.

What are people's thoughts? They going for a roommate or they going solo/having a SO move with them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I live in Columbus now (35 miles east), trying to decide if I'm going to need an apartment in Bloomington in addition to the place in Columbus - I'm worried the commute might take too much out of my study time and I might stay in Bloom. a few nights a week. In that case I will prob. need a roommate. Anyone else commuting?

I want to do the summer program - anyone know how limited it is/how much it costs?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Well, I just wrote an epically long response about how crazy you were to commute while in law school... then I realized you meant Columbus, IN and not 35 miles east of Columbus, OH. I'm an idiot.

Anyway.... According to a conversation I had with Dani, the coordinator from last year, the summer class is supposed to be capped at around 70 students. The tuition is likely a pro-rated version of what it is on a semester basis, so for in-state, I assume $3k-4k. Your scholarship might cover a portion of it. If not, there are likely going to be summer-specific scholarships available.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm

TommyK wrote:Well, I just wrote an epically long response about how crazy you were to commute while in law school... then I realized you meant Columbus, IN and not 35 miles east of Columbus, OH. I'm an idiot.

Anyway.... According to a conversation I had with Dani, the coordinator from last year, the summer class is supposed to be capped at around 70 students. The tuition is likely a pro-rated version of what it is on a semester basis, so for in-state, I assume $3k-4k. Your scholarship might cover a portion of it. If not, there are likely going to be summer-specific scholarships available.
I'm starting to enjoy that you know the answers to all my questions. I included a plea for a summer scholarship with my negotiation letter.

Agreed - Columbus OH would be crazy. Still a little unsure about driving almost an hour each way but it might not be so bad.

Are you considering summer start? Also - did you go to ASW last year/are you going this year? There doesn't seem to be quite the TLS following as last year, but its still early.

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Anyone know if they are going to offer travel vouchers to students that deferred from last year? I would really like to visit the campus before school starts to get a feel for everything and check out housing but I don't really want to do it on my own dime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 am

iowalum wrote: I'm starting to enjoy that you know the answers to all my questions. I included a plea for a summer scholarship with my negotiation letter.

Agreed - Columbus OH would be crazy. Still a little unsure about driving almost an hour each way but it might not be so bad.

Are you considering summer start? Also - did you go to ASW last year/are you going this year? There doesn't seem to be quite the TLS following as last year, but its still early.
:oops: Yeah, I spend way too much time on TLS. I really wanted to start last year, so I have spent the last 13 months looking up and asking most of these questions. I'm very ready to start and going on TLS is the only thing that keeps me sane.

I would love to do summer start. I don't see it happening though. I'm still trying to sell my condo and work is asking me to lead a team while my boss is on maternity leave. We'll see, though. It seems like a great opportunity. You get the chance to focus on one class and get exposure to a law school exam before your entire future is riding on it.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:56 am

gummy19vp wrote:Anyone know if they are going to offer travel vouchers to students that deferred from last year? I would really like to visit the campus before school starts to get a feel for everything and check out housing but I don't really want to do it on my own dime.
No clue. Could you let us know if you find the answer? I'd love to go back for a day or two and find an apartment and if Maurer wants to pay for it, I will happily accept the charity.

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Anyone know how the apartment situation is? Are there plenty of places or should I be scrambling to look for a place? I'm thinking I'm going to do the summer start. Finally visiting next week. :D

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 pm

mrmojojak wrote:Anyone know how the apartment situation is? Are there plenty of places or should I be scrambling to look for a place? I'm thinking I'm going to do the summer start. Finally visiting next week. :D
There were still lots of options during ASW, which was held in March last year... so you should be fine. Though, iirc, the complexes near the law building were starting to be gobbled up shortly after asw when people were committing. You'll be fine finding a place - especially if you start looking next week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the info, that's a little relief. I'll let you all know what the situation is looking like when I get back.

cedarseoul

New

Post by cedarseoul » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm curious about housing as well. I'm planning to send my acceptance letter this week...but because I presently live overseas (Korea), it's a little tricky to arrange for housing in advance. I want an apartment that is spacious enough for my wife and I to live comfortably, and I'm a little concerned that options will be very limited by the time I arrive in Indiana (mid-late July).

Any suggestions? I wonder if I should ask a family member to drive down and scope out apartments for us...kind of an imposition, but I'd hate to end up far away from campus / in a terrible apartment (had enough of that in UG).

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm

x-post from the other IUB thread, but wanted to post it here as well....

I'm thinking about going out to Bloomington this weekend to go apartment shopping. Anybody thinking about doing the same thing?

For those folks who are too far from Bloomington for a drive, can I check out anything on your behalf and report back to you? Cedarseoul? I'm lookin' at you!

If you are going to be in the area, let me know and we can grab a brew.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

This thread has had a slow start! Hopefully it will pick up - maybe I'm just overexcited.

I'm in the area (obviously, as I live close), but I won't be in Bloomington. It'd be good to get a TLS group together at some point (I know you guys tried/did this last year at SLD), so maybe we can do it again. I enjoy being around people who are as obnoxiously neurotic as I am yet are still able to drink others under the table. Yes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 am

You could check out the Cambridge apartments for me

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 am

iowalum wrote:I would like to drink. Would you like to drink? Yes?
Yes.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 am

gummy19vp wrote:You could check out the Cambridge apartments for me
Sure - the ones on N Pete Ellis Drive? Cambridge Square? I'll add it to my list!

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't remember the road but they are literally a block from the law school i could look it up

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 pm

gummy19vp wrote:I don't remember the road but they are literally a block from the law school i could look it up
Yeah, if you could... That way I'm not reporting back with information that wouldn't be useful. It looked like the Cambridge square ones I thought you were referencing were a couple miles away - NE of campus... So we're likely thinking of different places.

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Ok they are three separate buildings all relatively small at 700 east atwater ave mostly onebedroom and its like a block and a half to the law school thanks in advance

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 am

Hey All,

I found a place I'm really excited about so I'm posting to see if anybody would be interested in considering a roommate situation. It's a 2bed room / 2 full bath. Includes cable tv, high speed Internet, water utilities included, indoor pool, patio, tanning bed (if youre into that), free parking, comes with a 42" tv and washer and dryer in the apartment.

It would be $994 if we're on the same lease or $530 a person if we sign separate leases, which compared to similarly sized apartments is really reasonable. The only downside is that it is 1.9 miles away from the law school. It's on the campus bus line and the apartment complex has their own drop off shuttle with the first pick up at 7:05. From some of the 1Ls I have been talking to and those familiar with the university, they have indicated that living a couple miles away isn't that big of a deal and actually recommend it because you can find a better place for cheaper.

Reply or PM if you're interested. We can tell each other a little bit about ourselves to see if we'd be compatible roomies.

Some quick edits: there's a good mix of undergrads/grad/professional students there so definitely not a kegger feel. Also, here is the link to check it out, if you're so inclined: http://Www.bloom-living.com

Cheers,
TK

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 pm

I spent the past few days in Bloomington checking out apartments and the school. I'm now 99% sure this is where I'm heading. Overall I just got a very positive vibe from the place. The students were approachable and friendly, it did not seem like a cutthroat atmosphere at all. These are people I think it would be very easy to get along with and go grab a drink with later. The campus and surrounding area is pretty stunning. I'm a little shocked I haven't heard this more often.

The career services and financial aid office seem to be on top of their game. They seemed like they actively watch out for students and try to send you in the right direction for your goals. I'm looking forward to working with them in the future.

I looked at apartments close to the law school. It was a lot easier to gauge what I wanted once I got to campus. A lot of the one bedroom options near the law school were kind of meh. But, I don't think I would mind them too much if I was living alone, but since my girlfriend will be with me we found a little bigger and nicer place. I'm on the south side of campus but I would have probably gone as far north as 10th street and found that to be a very doable walk everyday. If anyone has any questions about places close to campus I could probably field them.

Overall I had a very positive experience in Bloomington. I'm looking forward to meeting you peeps in the summer start/regular year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”