Texas Tech University School of Law

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
MissLawLady23
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 am

Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby MissLawLady23 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi guys! I'm from Texas but I've never been to Lubbock. I was wondering if anyone can advise me on neighborhoods to avoid. I've heard the town is pretty small (~225k people live there :shock: ). I've also noticed that there's no WFM :shock: :cry: (Whole Food Market) and was wondering how's an organic foodie/vegetarian to survive? TTU is definitely one of my top choices and I don't want to have to eliminate it for this reason.
Last edited by MissLawLady23 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chickenfed
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby chickenfed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:43 pm

[quote="MissLawLady23] was wondering how's a organic foodie/vegetarian to survive? [/quote]

You could always learn to cook instead of buying food that comes in a can, bag or box.Considering all food is organic that is grown naturally, and all farmers have to use some form of pesticide, I think with a little effort you will be fine.

GK5150
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby GK5150 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Your best bet for organic type foods would be a Sprouts Supermarket at 82nd St. and Quaker. They generally have a decent selection of that type of stuff, and there's a place called Well Body Foods for a kind of health-nut vibe (not accusing you of anything, just saying things that come to mind).

All in all, no Whole Foods, but it is possible. I've had vegan friends living here for quite a while, so it's not that much of a stretch.

MissLawLady23
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby MissLawLady23 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 pm

GK5150 wrote:Your best bet for organic type foods would be a Sprouts Supermarket at 82nd St. and Quaker. They generally have a decent selection of that type of stuff, and there's a place called Well Body Foods for a kind of health-nut vibe (not accusing you of anything, just saying things that come to mind).

All in all, no Whole Foods, but it is possible. I've had vegan friends living here for quite a while, so it's not that much of a stretch.



There is hope. I didn't want to have to drive 5+ hrs to WFM. Thanks a bunch.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby texas man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 pm

I split my shopping between Market Street (I prefer the 98th street location) and Sprouts. Neither is as good as Whole Foods, but they suffice for healthful living.

User avatar
leacha5
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby leacha5 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 am

My fiancé got his Master's at TTU, and I am a vegetarian. We had to live there for several years. It was no picnic, but between Sprouts and Market Street, I made it work. Also, as far as eating out goes, check out the restaurant called Bless Your Heart. AWESOME healthy, vegetarian options. Home Cafe has some pretty amazing stuff too. I wouldn't let the food options really stop you from going there. Full disclosure - we HATED living in Lubbock. But the food situation... meh. It isn't a deal-breaker.

As far as your neighborhood question goes, we lived off Milwaukee Ave. at Springfield Apartment, which are some of the newest in town. Those are on the outskirts of town, but the commute was worth it for my fiancé because a lot of the downtown apartments (near Tech) have the reputation for being filled with loud, crazy undergrad kids. We lived with a lot of graduate students in our complex. Generally speaking, the southwest part of the city is considered to have some of the nicer houses and apartments. Some of the apartments downtown are pretty crusty. Avoid anything just west of Tech - it can get a little sketchy once you leave the confines of the school.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby texas man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

leacha5 wrote:Generally speaking, the southwest part of the city is considered to have some of the nicer houses and apartments. Some of the apartments downtown are pretty crusty. Avoid anything just west of Tech - it can get a little sketchy once you leave the confines of the school.


Many houses in southwest Lubbock are really nice, and I think that area is nice overall (why I like to go to the Market Street on 98th). But, did you mean to avoid anything just east of Tech? I live just west of the law school (16th and Quaker), and it's been great so far (and very convenient); this also helps financially--I usually go more than a month on a tank of gas.

User avatar
leacha5
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Texas Tech University School of Law

Postby leacha5 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm

texas man wrote:
leacha5 wrote:Generally speaking, the southwest part of the city is considered to have some of the nicer houses and apartments. Some of the apartments downtown are pretty crusty. Avoid anything just west of Tech - it can get a little sketchy once you leave the confines of the school.


Many houses in southwest Lubbock are really nice, and I think that area is nice overall (why I like to go to the Market Street on 98th). But, did you mean to avoid anything just east of Tech? I live just west of the law school (16th and Quaker), and it's been great so far (and very convenient); this also helps financially--I usually go more than a month on a tank of gas.


Yeah, that's what I meant. EAST of Tech. Sorry!




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest