Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
mrtoren

Silver

Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 pm

After much consideration, I believe Camden may be the right choice for me. I visited the campus this past weekend and I was fairly impressed..the law building looked brand new, classrooms were equipped with the latest technology, and campus security was very visible. I felt very safe, but I wouldn't dare to venture outside of the University District unless it was toward Philadelphia. Public transportation was easily accessible. Above all, The Victor, a converted RCA-Victor warehouse featuring luxury lofts, was quite impressive.

We have a couple of months until we have to worry about leases, but I would like to solidify my living arrangements as soon as possible. I’m looking for a roommate or two to get a place at The Victor (http://www.thevictorlofts.com/index.php). A little about myself: I’m a twenty-two year old senior in college, laid back, fit and active, fairly outgoing, responsible, and respectful. I’m looking for someone who is low key and keeps a fairly clean apartment.

Prices vary from $1600, for a two bedroom, to $1995, for a three bedroom. All utilities are included except for electricity and internet/cable.

Amenities include:
- 14-20ft concrete ceilings
- Exposed concrete columns and metal ventilation ducts
- Industrial-sized windows
- Large walk-in closets
- Personal bathrooms
- State-of-the-art appliances
- In-house fitness center
- Three roof-top decks
- Courtyard garden
- Caruso music room with a grand piano, fire place, and flat screen TV
- Free private boardrooms available for rental
- Free media presentation room
- In-house dry cleaning pick-up and drop-off
- Pizzeria and mini market on the ground floor of the complex
- 24/7 concierge desk, keycard entry
- Private, gated parking ($25/month)

Comcast has a monopoly on the cable and internet market, but I’ve found it for as low as $60/month for an introductory package (80 channels, 15MB/s). Cable price ($30/month) is frozen for 12 months; the internet price ($30/month) is frozen for 6 months.

Everything included, it would probably be about $850/month. It’s cheaper than the dorms and much, much nicer.

Let me know if you're interested.
Last edited by mrtoren on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drmguy

Silver

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

mrtoren wrote:After much consideration, I believe Camden may be the right choice for me. I visited the campus this past weekend and I was fairly impressed..the law building looked brand new, classrooms were equipped with the latest technology, and campus security was very visible. I felt very safe, but I wouldn't dare to venture outside of the University District unless it was toward Philadelphia. Public transportation was easily accessible. Above all, The Victor, a converted RCA-Victor warehouse featuring luxury lofts, was quite impressive.

We have a couple of months until we have to worry about leases, but I would like to solidify my living arrangements as soon as possible. I’m looking for a roommate or two to get a place at The Victor (http://www.thevictorlofts.com/index.php). A little about myself: I’m a twenty-three year old senior in college, laid back, fit and active, fairly outgoing, responsible, and respectful. I’m looking for someone who is low key and keeps a fairly clean apartment.

Prices vary from $1600, for a two bedroom, to $1995, for a three bedroom. All utilities are included except for electricity and internet/cable.

Amenities include:
- 14-20ft concrete ceilings
- Exposed concrete columns and metal ventilation ducts
- Industrial-sized windows
- Large walk-in closets
- Personal bathrooms
- State-of-the-art appliances
- In-house fitness center
- Three roof-top decks
- Courtyard garden
- Caruso music room with a grand piano, fire place, and flat screen TV
- Free private boardrooms available for rental
- Free media presentation room
- In-house dry cleaning pick-up and drop-off
- Pizzeria and mini market on the ground floor of the complex
- 24/7 concierge desk, keycard entry
- Private, gated parking ($25/month)

Comcast has a monopoly on the cable and internet market, but I’ve found it for as low as $60/month for an introductory package (80 channels, 15MB/s). Cable price ($30/month) is frozen for 12 months; the internet price ($30/month) is frozen for 6 months.

Everything included, it would probably be about $850/month. It’s cheaper than the dorms and much, much nicer.

Let me know if you're interested.
On the Victor,

-"Industrial sized windows" are industrially inefficient
-State of the art is an overstatement on the appliances
-The in house gym is 25 dollars a month if i remember correctly
-Decks closed in winter(New Years)
-The parking you will likely get as a new resident will be in a lot disconnected from the building but across the street. Indoor parking is 125(again if i remember correctly)

All that aside, I feel that The Victor was the best choice.

Also, they told me electricity would most likely be around 80 in the summer. It was ~150 a month for me and up to 400 for some others in a one bedroom.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

drmguy wrote:On the Victor,

-The parking you will likely get as a new resident will be in a lot disconnected from the building but across the street. Indoor parking is 125(again if i remember correctly)

Also, they told me electricity would most likely be around 80 in the summer. It was ~150 a month for me and up to 400 for some others in a one bedroom.
The appliances in the model looked pretty nice, but the gym was another $25/month. Electricity obviously ranges based on use, but I heard around $60/month or $30 per person in a two bedroom. It may be around $875/month.

The Victor is definitely the best set-up around though.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:20 pm

mrtoren wrote:
drmguy wrote:On the Victor,

The appliances in the model looked pretty nice, but the gym was another $25/month. Electricity obviously ranges based on use, but I heard around $60/month or $30 per person in a two bedroom. It may be around $875/month.

The Victor is definitely the best set-up around though.
The combination of a 5 minute walk to class and it not being the dorms makes it hard to beat.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 pm

drmguy wrote: The combination of a 5 minute walk to class and it not being the dorms makes it hard to beat.
Sounds like you currently go to RU-Camden or attended recently. Would you recommend it? What are the best and worst features of the school in your opinion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 pm

mrtoren wrote:
drmguy wrote: The combination of a 5 minute walk to class and it not being the dorms makes it hard to beat.
Sounds like you currently go to RU-Camden or attended recently. Would you recommend it? What are the best and worst features of the school in your opinion?
I do

The fact that not so nice Camden is around isn't the best, but other than that I can't complain. However, I think that Camden's reputation actually helps the school. They know that the other parts of town down have the best reputation so they work hard to compensate for that.

Actually, after thinking about it, I have a complaint. The financial aid department isn't so hot. Everything will get done, but they will be very unpleasant during the whole process.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 pm

drmguy wrote:
mrtoren wrote: Sounds like you currently go to RU-Camden or attended recently. Would you recommend it? What are the best and worst features of the school in your opinion?
I do

The fact that not so nice Camden is around isn't the best, but other than that I can't complain. However, I think that Camden's reputation actually helps the school. They know that the other parts of town down have the best reputation so they work hard to compensate for that.

Actually, after thinking about it, I have a complaint. The financial aid department isn't so hot. Everything will get done, but they will be very unpleasant during the whole process.
Thanks for the input! I figure most of my life will be spent in class, in the library, or in my apartment so I don't mind the area too much. Are you and your classmates fairly optimistic about the job search? Do most graduates seem to find respectable, stable careers?

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 pm

1L so i can't really help you there.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

drmguy wrote:1L so i can't really help you there.
Thanks anyways. To incoming students, find me on facebook (Michael Toren; attending Illinois State University) and we'll start a group.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 pm

I went to RU-C 1L year, but I have a tip about the Victor. Most of the 1BDR's are really really big. Get one of the bigger ones and split it with a roommate. Just buy standing room dividers and you can split the living room. I did this and saved a lot of money by doing so. I paid $690 a month including the $25 for parking (I got a good space in one of the closed lots) and $25 for the gym.

Also, a tip about saving on energy costs at the Victor: do your laundry in the large laundry room on the 6th floor, and turn off the heat (trust me, you don't need it... those rooms are generally pretty warm). We never stopped using the laundry, but turning of the heat and not using the A/C if not necessary helped bring down costs tremendously.

Also, TLS'ers that go here tend to do VERY VERY well in law school :D. However, I will leave the job stuff for the current 2L's that are probably still lurking around :lol:.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 pm

keg411 wrote:I went to RU-C 1L year, but I have a tip about the Victor. Most of the 1BDR's are really really big. Get one of the bigger ones and split it with a roommate. Just buy standing room dividers and you can split the living room. I did this and saved a lot of money by doing so. I paid $690 a month including the $25 for parking (I got a good space in one of the closed lots) and $25 for the gym.

Also, a tip about saving on energy costs at the Victor: do your laundry in the large laundry room on the 6th floor, and turn off the heat (trust me, you don't need it... those rooms are generally pretty warm). We never stopped using the laundry, but turning of the heat and not using the A/C if not necessary helped bring down costs tremendously.

Also, TLS'ers that go here tend to do VERY VERY well in law school :D. However, I will leave the job stuff for the current 2L's that are probably still lurking around :lol:.
good looks. in undergrad i split a house with 6 guys in a 4 person house and the money saved was awesome

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:49 pm

keg411 wrote:I went to RU-C 1L year, but I have a tip about the Victor. Most of the 1BDR's are really really big. Get one of the bigger ones and split it with a roommate. Just buy standing room dividers and you can split the living room. I did this and saved a lot of money by doing so. I paid $690 a month including the $25 for parking (I got a good space in one of the closed lots) and $25 for the gym.

Thanks for the tip! Cost-of-living is one of the biggest differences I've noticed between where I go to school now and more urban campuses like RU-Camden. Out in the sticks of Illinois, I pay $430/month (all utilities included) in a four bedroom apartment with my buddies. Its not the Ritz-Carlton, but it sure beats the $800-$1000/month rents that are so common out in the Philadelphia area (Chicago too!).

I'm going to see what the new graduate tower, 330 Cooper Street, charges before making a final decision, but I'd be much happier in a two or three bedroom at The Victor. Money's money though.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 pm

All I know about the new dorm is that they're supposed to charge somewhere between the prices of the current dorms and the Victor (at least, that's what they told us last year). If I were you, I would check out both on ASD before making a decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 am

anyone know when scholly info comes out?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 am

zuckaz48 wrote:anyone know when scholly info comes out?
Mine was in my acceptance email.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 pm

mine too. i gotta start reading my shit. whenever i get mail from the college, i see that im accepted and just put it in a folder. im retarded

rs88

New

Post by rs88 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 pm

For all of those looking at Rutgers-Camden, be aware that there is a good chance that it will be merging with Rowan University. This includes the law school. It will turn into Rowan Law School. I do not attend Rutgers-Camden, but several friends do and are seriously concerned about how that could potentially affect their job prospects. Just make sure you do your research.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:27 pm

rs88 wrote:For all of those looking at Rutgers-Camden, be aware that there is a good chance that it will be merging with Rowan University. This includes the law school. It will turn into Rowan Law School. I do not attend Rutgers-Camden, but several friends do and are seriously concerned about how that could potentially affect their job prospects. Just make sure you do your research.
I was set to mail my tuition deposit check in a couple of days; however, this revelation just blew apart my entire plan.

Rowan isn't Rutgers. And employers don't like change or the lack of confidence this merger could present.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

FYI, sit tight for the next week or so. The students and faculty are angry and organizing. I have a feeling the law school will be saved. But consider calling admissions and voicing your concerns.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 am

keg411 wrote:FYI, sit tight for the next week or so. The students and faculty are angry and organizing. I have a feeling the law school will be saved. But consider calling admissions and voicing your concerns.
I signed two of the petitions floating around and sent an email to Rutgers-Camden supporting the autonomy of the law school. Hopefully you'll create a big enough disturbance to prevent this from happening. I'll hold my decision until the situation develops further.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Well I'm not there anymore but I'm following the situation very closely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 pm

keg411 wrote:Well I'm not there anymore but I'm following the situation very closely.
What's your take on the impact of merger? I know a lot of people are worried about the name and the identity, but what do you think this would do to graduate's job prospects?

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:55 am

mrtoren wrote:
keg411 wrote:Well I'm not there anymore but I'm following the situation very closely.
What's your take on the impact of merger? I know a lot of people are worried about the name and the identity, but what do you think this would do to graduate's job prospects?
Currently, the only downside I have heard people(students) talking about is the name.

I want to know if our campus makes more money that it receives from new Brunswick and also the financial data of Rowan.

I'm pretty sure Yale would remain #1 if they changed their name to "Worse than Cooley Law Shack."

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:13 pm

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 am

Does Rutgers-Camden disclose the Fall 2011 Entering Class Profile?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”