USC class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
sdphill

Silver

Re: USC class of 2015

Post by sdphill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:22 pm

coldpixies wrote:
sdphill wrote:Checking in! :) If I get scholly money from USC, I will definitely be there!!! Does anyone know when we should hear about scholarship information?
Hopefully and most likely within the next few weeks! Where else are you thinking of going, sdphill?

I sat in on a last class week and it was awesome seeing the students at SC engaged with the professor the whole time. No socratic method that I saw, but then again, whenever the prof asked a question, there were volunteers. Small class size/section size is a definite plus, everyone seemed really close to each other.
This is what is definitely attracting me to USC... I'm looking at WUSTL and USC...

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:07 am

////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomWest

New

Post by TomWest » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:02 am

Danggit. If you haven't gotten an acceptance from USC yet, does that mean you're probably rejected?

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 am

TomWest wrote:Danggit. If you haven't gotten an acceptance from USC yet, does that mean you're probably rejected?

I wouldn't say that you're probably rejected. I just know that USC takes a LONG time with reading each application.

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 am

coldpixies wrote:I'm going crazy over the lack of USC's scholly info... I've been shopping a liiiiittle too much lately and I need some sort of wake up call
STORY OF MY LIFE.

:cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mandy

New

Post by mandy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Last edited by mandy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 pm

mandy wrote:Anyone heard about the Rothman? I did :)
Damn, I did not. Guess that means no finalist for me...

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 am

Did you hear by mail? Congratulations! I'm bummed, I let myself dream a bit too much. :-)

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

innernetp wrote:
Did you hear by mail? Congratulations! I'm bummed, I let myself dream a bit too much. :-)
oh it was mail? damn, i'm out of town for a while. is there any way to know without having access to snail mail?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
innernetp wrote:
oh it was mail? damn, i'm out of town for a while. is there any way to know without having access to snail mail?
I don't know if it was or not. I know from last year that scholarships went out by snail mail, but I don't know how the Rothman works.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Just some interesting information I found....

USC is ranked #12 in the percentage of graduates who are took a job in a NLJ 250 firm. Ahead of some T-14! :D

Source: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Just left Financial Aid... They have sent out two batches of scholarships.. They will send all of them out by Friday of this week. Only sent via snail mail.

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:30 pm

////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I'm trying to stay away from TLS as much as possible so it's nice to know it's time to man the mailbox. Just booked my bnb for April! So excited!

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 pm

sdphill wrote:Just left Financial Aid... They have sent out two batches of scholarships.. They will send all of them out by Friday of this week. Only sent via snail mail.

YAY!!!

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 pm

^^^^^Best Avatar EVER!^^^^^

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:19 pm

sdphill wrote:^^^^^Best Avatar EVER!^^^^^
:D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ttunsehc

New

Post by ttunsehc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

So depending on scholly info. I'll probably be going to USC. I'm abroad and won't be back in the States until August. How should I go about finding housing?
I want to live walking distance. If I wait till August will people have already rented everything? Or do I need to get online and figure things out soon?

Anyone looking for a roomie?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

ttunsehc wrote:So depending on scholly info. I'll probably be going to USC. I'm abroad and won't be back in the States until August. How should I go about finding housing?
I want to live walking distance. If I wait till August will people have already rented everything? Or do I need to get online and figure things out soon?

Anyone looking for a roomie?
Here's my thought for you - the area right around USC is a little rougher, so if I were in your situation unable to tour properties, I'd probably do terrace or ask USC what apartments they endorse that are within walking distance. If you count downtown (which is an easy trip to USC by bus) then that widens your options a bit. If you do terrace, it's probably best to go ahead and book that. The pro: easy to book, USC owned so no landlord hassles, near plenty of 1Ls. The con: looks much like freshman year of college... Which could be charming. I would love to have a roomie, but after the stress of having an awful house mate a few months ago, I just don't want to risk my sanity. I'll probably be living near Miracle Mile or Silverlake/Los Feliz. I apologize for any weird spelling - on my iPhone.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Since we are on the topic of housing, where is everyone looking to stay? I live on the East Coast, so I won't be able to look like my West Coast peers, but I will be flying in for a week to search and just want to have it narrowed down by then.

AlmostOver

New

Post by AlmostOver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 pm

sdphill wrote:Since we are on the topic of housing, where is everyone looking to stay? I live on the East Coast, so I won't be able to look like my West Coast peers, but I will be flying in for a week to search and just want to have it narrowed down by then.

I'm wondering this too. Are the Terrace Apartments a good choice, or is there a certain area that's best?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 pm

AlmostOver wrote:
sdphill wrote:Since we are on the topic of housing, where is everyone looking to stay? I live on the East Coast, so I won't be able to look like my West Coast peers, but I will be flying in for a week to search and just want to have it narrowed down by then.

I'm wondering this too. Are the Terrace Apartments a good choice, or is there a certain area that's best?
I've been looking like crazy on rent.com and craigslist. Get ready for a monster reply!! Here are my thoughts on what's going on:

Re: Terrace - if you're okay with going back to dorm life and the price doesn't bother you, it's probably very nice to be walkable distance to class. Plus, you don't have to buy a parking pass, which I think will save you 400/semester. +what you're saving in gas. Still, I think you could get a single in downtown for about the same price if you're looking for more independence. I'm coming from the East Coast, too, and I want to make friends! But I think I'd rather have a studio or 1 BR and host dinner nights to make sure that happens. :-)

Timing - so I'll be out visiting the first week in April. My original plan was to go out and nail down some plans ASAP, but the apartment complexes I've contacted (only 3 at this point) have all said that they won't know availability until around July or so. What I think I'll do is go out, tour, and then narrow down my list to places I would or would not live in, and then get on the waiting list for all of them and commit to where ever I hear back from first... a little more stress than I'd like, but it seems to be my only option since I can't be flying back and forth!

Specific neighborhoods - I've PMed a little bit back and forth with some of the 1 and 2Ls over on ask a 1L about the areas they recommend. One of them said that your options are basically live close to campus in a not-so-nice area, or live farther away in a nicer area. I think some people really like downtown - I did not - so it's hard for me to speak objectively.

If you want to live close to campus, your choices are: Terrace, Downtown, Koreatown (aka "Mid Wilshire"), and Mid City. The farther north of Wilshire, the "nicer" it is. Same goes the farther out west you go.

My personal take on all these places... I stayed in downtown LA last year and I didn't feel comfortable walking around certain areas at night. I've had plenty of experience living in shadier areas, but every time I went walking in downtown past dusk someone was trailing me or talking to me... it bothered me as a single female. But I am very ignorant and it is entirely possible that there are parts of downtown that I missed that are much livelier (in a good way) at night and safe/walkable. Anyone with conflicting data, chime in! As for Koreatown, I just don't like the vibe of it... though there are some cheap, nice apartments there. Mid City, I haven't actually been able to find many apartments there.

If you're going for a commute, there's Culver City, Palms, and Miracle Mile located NW of USC... and Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Atwater Village located NE. To me, all of these areas have a lot of good things going for them. (There are plenty of other places, but it seems like these are within 30 minutes commute and will be more populated by 1Ls than, say, Santa Monica). I think Miracle Mile is probably ideal because it's central to all of LA... not too terrible of a commute, plus you'll be closer to bar reviews compared to people out in Los Feliz.

http://www.streetadvisor.com/search/nei ... california

I like this website because it gives thoughts on specific 'hoods and streets. I've also found it helpful to look things up on a google streetview for those of us who can't drive a few hours for a look-see.

Pricing: So, USC's recommended budget for housing is $900/month - I believe that includes utilities. I think that is pretty difficult to do without having a flatmate. In my list of apartments where I'll be touring, the prices range from 950-1450. I've noticed that studios for nearly all of USC's recommended apartments start around 1400.

Tonight I went and made an excel sheet with apartment complexes that fit my needs (I set my budget to $1500/month and required that there be parking and a laundry room) to look at relative distances from campus and see what my options really are. If anyone is interested in seeing it, just shoot me a PM! I don't think I'm looking for a roommate but I would absolutely love to live near other 1Ls! Also, I'll be taking pictures of places when I go in a few weeks and would be more than happy to help out any East Coasters who won't have a chance to visit before move-in. So far the only way I can eliminate places is by looking them up on BBB/yelp... but I don't entirely trust yelp since the reviews are so variable at a lot of places.

The complexes that are at the top of my list right now are: Museum Terrace (Miracle Mile), Waverly Gardens (Silver Lake), and Riverglen (Los Feliz).

I hope this is helpful and not overly obsessive. :-) I just care a lot about quality of life... hence me going to USC!

ETA: I'm also happy to make a google doc for people who don't want to bother with emailing. Whateva works.

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:29 pm

////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Found this on another's schools thread and thought I should share.
A few good resources [for looking for places] are http://www.padmapper.com and http://www.hotpads.com. I also believe trulia.com has a crime map which shots "heat zones" for crime if that is something you are interested in investigating.

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 am

Is there a c/o 2015 fb group?? and anyone visiting April 2nd?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”