Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
DK33

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015

Post by DK33 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:49 am

bmarc1117 wrote:Hey guys just registered with top laws school and wanted your opinion. I applied to Rutgers-Newark in November and was recently deferred with a 156 and 3.25. I sent in a LOCI and a new LOR specifically for rutgers and also will be visiting this week. MY fall semester also bumped up my overall GPA to 3.32. My GPA has a strong incline in the last few semesters since only 4 semesters ago I had a 2.6. I just wanted your opinion on my chances and if you ever heard of anyone being admitted outright after being deferred. Thanks guys and Im happy to be apart of the community now.
I got deferred last year, waitlisted, than got in. 155 LSAT (high side) 3.7 at Degree Granting School, 3.43 LSAC GPA. But I had work experience.

Send the LCI. Good. Keep Checking every couple of weeks. Push, but not too much. Get your updated transcripts in.

Every good thing you do, tell em. I mean everything. Work. Charity. whatever.

Good Luck.

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:51 am

Bratty_60 wrote:
DK33 wrote:Hello All:

I got accepted last cycle and deferred admission until this coming fall.

Anyone from Queens on this Forum? New York City generally? What are your thoughts on living arrangements? Newark isn't the most pleasant place; I was considering Jersey City. Thoughts?

Whose going to the open house on March 30th?

Commuting from NYC to Newark on an everyday basis is a bad life choice, I think, especially because you would lose the in state tuition discount (25kish vs 33kish for tuition)

I a actually live in Queens as well. I signed a lease with the University Centre. i don't think you should commute! Where do you live?
Hell no I aint commuting lol. Flushing till June. I'm leaning Jersey City after that.

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 am

I'm surprised there isn't a FB Group for Rutgers Class of 2015. BTW is anyone here in the MSP Program?

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am

Would dorming on campus for a year give me a "12-month lease?"

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a FB Group for Rutgers Class of 2015. BTW is anyone here in the MSP Program?
I'm surprised there isn't, too. I wish there was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm

ix88 wrote:Would dorming on campus for a year give me a "12-month lease?"
Yes that would give you a 12 month lease! Are you a female btw?

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Seat deposit sent in. See you guys there!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 am

Looks like I'm heading to Case Western or Cincinnati next year. Went to Rutgers last week, loved the school but don't see myself staying in north Jersey long term. Good luck this fall everybody!

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a FB Group for Rutgers Class of 2015. BTW is anyone here in the MSP Program?

I am. I'm all about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:24 pm

superbloom wrote:Seat deposit sent in. See you guys there!
Pimpin'... Whose going on Friday?

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 pm

DK33 wrote:
superbloom wrote:Seat deposit sent in. See you guys there!
Pimpin'... Whose going on Friday?
I'll be there friday

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 am

I'll be there fRIDAY AS WELL!

christina111

New

Post by christina111 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Did anyone thats going friday get an email yet about where to park and stuff

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Weez11

New

Post by Weez11 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 am

Deposited, MSP, and will be there Friday.

MellowMantis

New

Post by MellowMantis » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 am

christina111 wrote:Did anyone thats going friday get an email yet about where to park and stuff
I haven't got any additional emails yet but I am going Friday. You have to love the Rutgers efficiency.

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:
ix88 wrote:Would dorming on campus for a year give me a "12-month lease?"
Yes that would give you a 12 month lease! Are you a female btw?
Thanks. I also called the assistant dean and she confirmed this.

No. I am male.

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:31 am

Who is down to start a FB Group?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:Who is down to start a FB Group?
Since there is not one already, I've just created one: http://www.facebook.com/groups/283055898439129/

I placed my seat deposit today!

Btw, to those who went to Admitted students day this past Friday, how was it?

I was not able to attend.

(edited argh for some reason when i type letter a, letter s, letter d, these forums turn it into ASD)
Last edited by ix88 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yazzinit

New

Post by Yazzinit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:48 pm

I'll join the topic. Seat deposit made. Barring a Mega Millions type shot at a few reach schools, I'll be with you all in the fall.

Some discussion questions:

I'm a New Yorker (school in the Bx, been in the city all the time, live a bit north of it). So I'm comfortable in the big city. However, I won't be having a car for 1L, maybe not at all (definitely not for 1L). So, some housing questions for any NJ natives or those of you with more knowledge:

Regarding University Square (basically on campus), is the double room academic year contract eligible for in state tuition? (I'm assuming not, since it's only academic year). Otherwise, the single calendar year (assuming in state definite for this lease) is basically 12k. University Centre for the 3/2 bedroom monthly is also gonna come out to 12k (I read elsewhere here that this doesn't include electric? Ouch).

Basically, I'm looking for something within walking distance due to the area and late nights on campus without a car. I mean for the same price and closer, I may just go University Square. Anyone with any tips? Walking distance, late night security, affordable, with ability to show a 12 month lease to get in state tuition. I guess also discussing roommates. Thanks for the help.

I also got the 2k work study on my initial letter. Not sure if I want to take it or not. It's only 2k and that'd be for tuition, right? I mean, if I have to work, I'd rather use the money for groceries or something. Plus, 1L at law school, I'd also rather use that time for studying and making sure I'm adjusting. Been awhile since I've lived in a dorm lol, commuted my last 2 yrs of undergrad.

I'm also down for any study groups and such. Talk to you all here soon.

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Yazzinit wrote:I'll join the topic. Seat deposit made. Barring a Mega Millions type shot at a few reach schools, I'll be with you all in the fall.

I'm a New Yorker (school in the Bx, been in the city all the time, live a bit north of it). So I'm comfortable in the big city. However, I won't be having a car for 1L, maybe not at all (definitely not for 1L). So, some housing questions for any NJ natives or those of you with more knowledge:

Regarding University Square (basically on campus), is the double room academic year contract eligible for in state tuition? (I'm assuming not, since it's only academic year). Otherwise, the single calendar year (assuming in state definite for this lease) is basically 12k. University Centre for the 3/2 bedroom monthly is also gonna come out to 12k (I read elsewhere here that this doesn't include electric? Ouch).

Basically, I'm looking for something within walking distance due to the area and late nights on campus without a car. I mean for the same price and closer, I may just go University Square. Anyone with any tips? Walking distance, late night security, affordable, with ability to show a 12 month lease to get in state tuition. I guess also discussing roommates. Thanks for the help.

I also got the 2k work study on my initial letter. Not sure if I want to take it or not. It's only 2k and that'd be for tuition, right? I mean, if I have to work, I'd rather use the money for groceries or something. Plus, 1L at law school, I'd also rather use that time for studying and making sure I'm adjusting. Been awhile since I've lived in a dorm lol, commuted my last 2 yrs of undergrad.

University Square offers 12 month leases (with lower rates in the summer I believe) and do count towards in state tuition. I called and asked admissions specifically about University Square. As for the work study, it does not go towards tuition. If its anything like my FWS currently in undergrad, they direct deposit into your account. No school deducts FWS from tuition.

Yazzinit

New

Post by Yazzinit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 pm

superbloom wrote:
Yazzinit wrote:I'll join the topic. Seat deposit made. Barring a Mega Millions type shot at a few reach schools, I'll be with you all in the fall.

University Square offers 12 month leases (with lower rates in the summer I believe) and do count towards in state tuition. I called and asked admissions specifically about University Square. As for the work study, it does not go towards tuition. If its anything like my FWS currently in undergrad, they direct deposit into your account. No school deducts FWS from tuition.
Thanks for the reply! As you can tell, it's been awhile regarding FWS lol (never had it in undergrad so I was going off of bad memory). Well then that's good, pocket money works to pay myself back for books and stuff. Yeah, I saw U.Square offers 12 month leases. I only saw calendar year for single rooms, but yeah it was roughly 11,600 or something close to that. Definitely an option, just wanted to see if there were any other options also lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 am

Things close to campus seem hard to come by. Scour Craigslist. I once found an apartment directly across the street from the school with 2br (and it was literally across the street from it) that went for $1000/month. They wanted someone by April 15 so I couldn't sign. Eleven80 is very nice and thy have apartments available right now (got a call from them today, inquired months ago) their 2br goes for $2000/month and their 1br w/ a den (can be used as another br) goes for $1900. They also have studios that go for $1300. They also have a freakin bowling alley. I also suggest driving around Halsley and New street to see if there are any "For Rent" signs.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:28 am

There's a pizza place across from the street in New St. I talked to someone about another apartment in the building but I just missed it and he said the other one would be available soon. Just go in the pizza place and ask about it. This was my plan but I'm not going to RU anymore.

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 am

That was the one I looked at too.

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:43 am

IX88 created a FB group for Rutgers Newark Class of 2015 please join guys. I just did! http://www.facebook.com/groups/283055898439129/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”