UConn Classes of 2015 &2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
jemenfous5

New

UConn Classes of 2015 &2016

Post by jemenfous5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I thought I'd start a thread for those who are either definitely attending UConn Law or still debating. I've searched TLS and haven't found a similar thread, so hopefully this is not a repeat. As the weeks and months wear on, this will be a great forum for exchanging information and starting to get to know each other.

I will definitely be attending in the fall. I am in-state and have been living in CT for most of my life. If anyone has any questions about the area, let me know.

-Kyle
Last edited by jemenfous5 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killingly

Silver

Re: UConn Classes of 2015 &2016

Post by Killingly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:21 pm

In-state as well and went to Uconn for undergrad. Personally, I'm still debating.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm OOS (RI) and will be going seeing as I was named a Connecticut Scholar and will be getting full tuition for 3 years.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh, and you started a thread not a threat. LOL

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, fixed that. Freudian slip maybe? Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hurricane12345

New

Post by hurricane12345 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 pm

From New England here, seriously considering UConn after being awarded the full tuition 3 year scholarship. Waiting to hear back from a number of schools, but my choice is a hard one already as I have UConn (full tuition scholarship) vs. Wake Forest ($30,000 scholarship) vs. Boston College (waiting on scholarship info) vs. Fordham (probably no scholarship unless my LSAT retake and/or negotiations go well).

Not entirely certain where I'd prefer to end up working, probably the Northeast. Definitely planning on visiting UConn at some point early this Spring :).

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey everyone!

First of all, congratulation to everyone on being accepted!

I'm from MA and have been strongly considering UConn for the great program at such a reduced tuition overall. I received the email stating that I am a University of Connecticut Scholar as well (full tuition for all three years so long as a 3.0 is maintained), which means I am considering the school even more so (who wouldn't, in this market?). I would love to attend the school; the only thing really keeping me from sending in the confirmation at this point is my worry about how it'll play for me in the Boston/international market, depending on which route I end up taking. I also really like UConn's international programs, though, so... I guess we'll see! I definitely am interested in hearing what everyone else is thinking about the school.

To let anyone else who was named a UConn Scholar as well know, I double checked with them and we do have until the regular deadline to accept.

For anyone who hasn't visited, I highly suggest it. The campus itself is gorgeous! (There is a lot of negativity about the city itself, which is mostly warranted, but I've spoken with a few students at UConn Law and they said that they rarely go across the water/into the city itself. I guess there are places that they rent, eat, shop, etc. near the school.) I just wish it was closer to Boston, but... I can't have everything, right? :wink:

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:31 pm

landla wrote:Hey everyone!

First of all, congratulation to everyone on being accepted!

I'm from MA and have been strongly considering UConn for the great program at such a reduced tuition overall. I received the email stating that I am a University of Connecticut Scholar as well (full tuition for all three years so long as a 3.0 is maintained), which means I am considering the school even more so (who wouldn't, in this market?). I would love to attend the school; the only thing really keeping me from sending in the confirmation at this point is my worry about how it'll play for me in the Boston/international market, depending on which route I end up taking. I also really like UConn's international programs, though, so... I guess we'll see! I definitely am interested in hearing what everyone else is thinking about the school.

To let anyone else who was named a UConn Scholar as well know, I double checked with them and we do have until the regular deadline to accept.

For anyone who hasn't visited, I highly suggest it. The campus itself is gorgeous! (There is a lot of negativity about the city itself, which is mostly warranted, but I've spoken with a few students at UConn Law and they said that they rarely go across the water/into the city itself. I guess there are places that they rent, eat, shop, etc. near the school.) I just wish it was closer to Boston, but... I can't have everything, right? :wink:
So we definitely have until the first deposit deadline? Thanks for double-checking on that and congrats to my other Uconn Scholars!

And yes, there are plenty of apartments to rent near the school. If I remember correctly (it's been a couple years since I visited), the campus is surrounded by old Victorian-style houses/apartments with plenty of other options beyond that neighborhood.

I'm gunning for NYC, but I know it will be hard unless I end up in the top of the class. I'm worried about being "stuck" in CT, but I suppose there are worse things. I'm going to let my cycle play out a little longer before I accept.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Hartford and West Hartford (not the West End of Hartford) are completely different. Hartford is mostly ghetto with some parts that are not awful. West Hartford is beautiful, very colonial. Lots of small, local restaurants and boutiques to shop at as well as high scale shops. The housing in West Hartford is more appealing to me than that of Hartford. And if you live in West Hartford you'd never really have to deal with the reputation that has already been brought up.

Even though I'd been to the school twice already, I drove up there yesterday with my grandmother. I wanted her to see the school and also to see how close I'd be to home (She was worried about me being so far away in Michigan). The look in her face as we walked up, as well as the overall sense of "home" I felt in the brief time that we were there did it for me. I'm as sold as can be. Short of a Darrow (not going to happen) I'll be a husky in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 pm

If anyone is worried about living in Hartford, I would suggest looking into housing in the surrounding towns. Connecticut has many safe and quiet towns, which I think would be conducive to the mountains of reading and studying we will be doing. Of course you would need a car, but, unless you plan to live within walking distance of school, you would probably want one anyways.

cph4life

New

Post by cph4life » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm about 97% sure I'll be attending! A Connecticut scholar as well, so I just couldn't turn down the offer :D I'm OOS (NJ) and am planning on heading up to Hartford for a visit sometime next week. Can't wait to get to know everyone!

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi everyone! I just wanted to stop in and say hi. Like you guys, I was also admitted last week. However, I didn't receive the awesome scholarships you guys did :( but that was to be expected. If my cycle ended right now, it would be down to between Temple and UConn (still waiting for Wake, no matter how slim the chances are). Does anyone know how these two schools compare? I just absolutely love how UConn has small entering class size and it's gorgeous campus doesn't hurt. But how are job prospects upon graduation? I found this (--LinkRemoved--) on their website and it looks promising, but how accurate would you say this is?

notmysn1588

New

Post by notmysn1588 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi all! I was also very thrilled to find out that I was accepted last week. It is one of my top picks but am going to wait to make my final decision until I go and visit and hear from a few other places. I've heard great things about it from the pretty campus, small class sizes, and great quality for the price.
I have a few concerns and would appreciate any insight anyone has:
- the ranking has fallen, is this an indication the school is having a hard time keeping faculty and financing other parts of the school due to the poor economy
- the employment statistics mentions that the percent employed includes those who are employed in non-legal fields, does anyone have an idea if those numbers are inflated?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:56 pm

uconn is one of my top 3 choices as well. i am going to try and visit as soon as possible and try to become acquainted with the area. maybe catch a uconn game

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 am

notmysn1588 wrote:Hi all! I was also very thrilled to find out that I was accepted last week. It is one of my top picks but am going to wait to make my final decision until I go and visit and hear from a few other places. I've heard great things about it from the pretty campus, small class sizes, and great quality for the price.
- the ranking has fallen, is this an indication the school is having a hard time keeping faculty and financing other parts of the school due to the poor economy
- the employment statistics mentions that the percent employed includes those who are employed in non-legal fields, does anyone have an idea if those numbers are inflated?
I read somewhere that UConn's rankings has steady fallen ever since they instated the part time program which brought down their GPA and LSAT medians.

Also, you can see the employment stats for the class of 2010 here: --LinkRemoved--
There is a big chunk of grads that went into the "business" sector but overall I think numbers are decent...

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 am

LAFish wrote:
notmysn1588 wrote:Hi all! I was also very thrilled to find out that I was accepted last week. It is one of my top picks but am going to wait to make my final decision until I go and visit and hear from a few other places. I've heard great things about it from the pretty campus, small class sizes, and great quality for the price.
I read somewhere that UConn's rankings has steady fallen ever since they instated the part time program which brought down their GPA and LSAT medians.

Also, you can see the employment stats for the class of 2010 here: --LinkRemoved--
There is a big chunk of grads that went into the "business" sector but overall I think numbers are decent...
I actually had the opportunity to sit down and talk to one of the professors at UConn, and he said the ranking slip is because US News decided to start counting the part time numbers in their formula a couple of years ago.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:40 am

LAFish wrote: Also, you can see the employment stats for the class of 2010 here: --LinkRemoved--
You have to look at those numbers from a very objective point of view for them to make sense.

Yes 20% of the class went into Business. However, the nature of Connecticut is such that large businesses dominate the economic landscape. A few of those people ended up as in-house legal counsel. Which TBH can be a much better choice in the long run than BigLaw given the obvious short time prospects of BigLaw.

I do see that when they break it down, it seems like some people went into Management and "Other Business" but I wouldn't know if that was what they chose to do or if they couldn't find legal jobs. Some people that do dual degrees (JD/MBA) do it with the intention of advancing in the business world and not necessarily of going into legal. Not that I agree with that mentality but some people do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:08 pm

JoeMo wrote: You have to look at those numbers from a very objective point of view for them to make sense.

Yes 20% of the class went into Business. However, the nature of Connecticut is such that large businesses dominate the economic landscape. A few of those people ended up as in-house legal counsel. Which TBH can be a much better choice in the long run than BigLaw given the obvious short time prospects of BigLaw.

I do see that when they break it down, it seems like some people went into Management and "Other Business" but I wouldn't know if that was what they chose to do or if they couldn't find legal jobs. Some people that do dual degrees (JD/MBA) do it with the intention of advancing in the business world and not necessarily of going into legal. Not that I agree with that mentality but some people do that.
I definitely agree with this. You have to think about the self-selection factors when looking at the numbers. First of all, you can make stats say pretty much anything. Second, the number of people going into a particular field or city is self-selected by the number of people interested in going there. A much better number to find out would be the percentage of those who wanted to enter a certain field or market (or, even better, the field in a particular market) that were able to do so. Alas, this data is not released (at least, not to my knowledge).

notmysn1588

New

Post by notmysn1588 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Thank you all for your input and advice. Your points are well taken. I just have heard so much recently about school trying to fudge their numbers in this economy to make it seem as though its much more attainable to obtain employment than it is.
The more I find out about UCONN and hear from all of you, the more I want to attend. However, I want to wait to hear back from a couple more schools to hopefully make up my mind.

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Since we're on the subject of UConn's employment numbers, can anyone explain to me why UConn's stats on Law School Transparency is not that good compared to the other employment data sheet?

caloboeist

New

Post by caloboeist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Hey everyone! Guess I'll finally chime in. I'm about 95% sure I'll attend, still weighing the pros and cons, especially to move across the country for shaky employment prospects. But I don't want to do big law so the full ride sounds very inviting. Plus I hear the campus and surrounding area is beautiful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 am

LAFish wrote:Since we're on the subject of UConn's employment numbers, can anyone explain to me why UConn's stats on Law School Transparency is not that good compared to the other employment data sheet?
Those are their employment numbers for 2009. I think they're trying to be a bit more comprehensive as evidenced by the link that was posted in this thread a few posts ago.

Also, let it be known, that of all the admissions personnel that I have met with or seen at an Open House or whatever, UConn and Michigan were the most transparent. (This is why those two schools I have a preference for)

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

landla wrote: I definitely agree with this. You have to think about the self-selection factors when looking at the numbers. First of all, you can make stats say pretty much anything. Second, the number of people going into a particular field or city is self-selected by the number of people interested in going there. A much better number to find out would be the percentage of those who wanted to enter a certain field or market (or, even better, the field in a particular market) that were able to do so. Alas, this data is not released (at least, not to my knowledge).
Exactly! For example, if I were to go to UConn (which I will be) I'll be looking to work for a smaller firm (10-20) or midsize-ish (50-100) because in Connecticut that's where you'll get the best career longevity. Also, I might look to go in-house just because the Connecticut market is so rich with corporations.

However, had I gone to Michigan, I would've been stupid not to try for BigLaw since that's where you have the best prospects going to a Top 10 school.

I think the UConn classes are very realistic about their career prospects and know what path makes sense.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

caloboeist wrote:Hey everyone! Guess I'll finally chime in. I'm about 95% sure I'll attend, still weighing the pros and cons, especially to move across the country for shaky employment prospects. But I don't want to do big law so the full ride sounds very inviting. Plus I hear the campus and surrounding area is beautiful.
It is truly beautiful. Every time I go, I just want to stay.

pittchris12

New

Post by pittchris12 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

UCONN really shook up my thinking about where I will be attending school in the fall with the full tuition offer. Right now they are the front runner, but I still need to visit and wait for a few more schools

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”