University of Chicago Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
Danny Mothers
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Danny Mothers » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 am

I'm looking at Regents as well. Although, there have been a bunch of bad reviews of Regents that have popped up recently.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 am

Congrats to you all!

Danny Mothers wrote:I'm looking at Regents as well. It's gotten a lot of bad online reviews recently, though.

This year there was a minor scandal because a property management company bought Regents and replaced the staff, which offended the delicate sensibilities of a lot of Regents residents. I think the pressure from residents and the union made them hire back just about everybody, though.

As far as housing goes, I encourage everybody to explore Hyde Park's available real estate beyond Regents as well. I think Regents has a couple of advantages (there'll be a lot of law students around, it's by the bus that goes downtown, it's near a lot of Hyde Park's restaurants); however, there are some really nice condos and apartments available in Hyde Park that can end up being cheaper and nicer than the Regents places, and some people (myself included) like living away from too high a concentration of law students.

When I talk with alumni from the past few years, they are surprised that Regents is so popular now, since New Grad used to be the housing of choice for law students. While I know a couple of people who live in New Grad (which is a university-run sort of graduate dorm) and they seem to like it, the fact that there's no individual kitchens make the place seem undesirable to me, although you can't beat how close it is. From what I've seen of university housing in general, I would recommend going with a different option, since university housing seems sort of old and not very cost-efficient.

If you find a place you're interested in, check to see if the 171 or 172 bus stops nearby, which are the main intra-HP buses for getting to the law school. Even if you don't plan on taking the bus every day, it's a nice option to have for when you're hungover or if it's freezing out.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am

Any places you recommend in particular Bils?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Any places you recommend in particular Bils?

I'm not too familiar with the rental market here, but there are a lot of nice refab buildings I'd look into. I recommend that if you visit you take the time to see Regents and view some other buildings in the area (Hyde Park is like 50+% condo and apartment buildings). Just stay east of Cottage Grove and (there's some debate on this point) north of 60th if you don't want to get mugged as regularly.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Flash wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:So now that I'm accepted, I feel I can ask: anyone here going to try to cop some trees in Hyde Park next year? Is it a difficult prospect?

lol

On a law school forum? Really? Are you an idiot?

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:I'm looking at Regents as well. Although, there have been a bunch of bad reviews of Regents that have popped up recently.

This is something important that has happened recently that I should explain. It really is silly.

Recently, the Regents buildings were bought by another property company from Hyde Park called MAC. They are kind of the big property company in the area, and as such they are demonized by "little owners" and some local residents who think they aren't as good.

When MAC bought Regents, they fired a lot of the staff and replaced them with their own staff. A lot of the old crotchety residents who had personal relationships with the staff as well as some idealistic students who thought they were fighting "the man" started protesting up a storm as well as the SEIU.

Long story short is that all the original staff are now back. But in the interim the pissed off residents decided to ruin their own building's reputation on the internet. If you look, you'll see that all those negative reviews come from about or after November 12th. So that's the story behind that. If I were you, though, I would definitely rely on the word of mouth and stuff you can learn from current student-residents on here and at ASW.

bobsey
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby bobsey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Flash wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:So now that I'm accepted, I feel I can ask: anyone here going to try to cop some trees in Hyde Park next year? Is it a difficult prospect?

lol

On a law school forum? Really? Are you an idiot?


I don't see the problem. Clearly he is a bonsai enthusiast, eager to spread his roots.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:- I encourage everybody to explore Hyde Park's available real estate beyond Regents
- Regents has a couple of advantages (there'll be a lot of law students around, it's by the bus that goes downtown)
- however, there are some really nice condos and apartments available in Hyde Park that can end up being cheaper and nicer than the Regents places
- check to see if the 171 or 172 bus stops nearby

Agreed with everything Bils said. I edited for the main points that I find important. I'd also look to be near a 6 stop or X28, or something else that gets you right downtown. It will make your life a lot easier.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

What's the general consensus about university housing?

KitKatBar333
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby KitKatBar333 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Checking in! By the way, has anyone made a Facebook page yet?

bobsey
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby bobsey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 pm

KitKatBar333 wrote:Checking in! By the way, has anyone made a Facebook page yet?


ka-ching!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/211022238981201

BigJohnso
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby BigJohnso » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Just sent my request to join! You should be able to tell its me based on my name...

BigJohnso
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby BigJohnso » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:05 pm

can any of you current students comment on if its worth it to own a car? It seems like, with parking, it could be a big expense that is avoidable.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Flash wrote:If you have questions ask them in this http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165 thread.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 pm

BigJohnso wrote:can any of you current students comment on if its worth it to own a car? It seems like, with parking, it could be a big expense that is avoidable.

For me, having a car would definitely be more cost than it's worth. I don't have one and I've managed to get around just fine. You just have to make smaller/more frequent trips to the grocery store, but other than that, I haven't noticed too much of a difference in getting around. Public transportation has been really easy and convenient. For things like getting to the airport, we always just split cabs or get a friend with a car to take us. I think having a car can be nice for things like going to Target/Ikea, but in general it's really not necessary. As far as cost is concerned, it seemed like parking spaces went for about $150/month in the Hyde Park area, but I didn't look too much for parking prices because I never really planned on bringing my car, so perhaps others who have cars will have a better idea of price.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Dany wrote:
BigJohnso wrote:can any of you current students comment on if its worth it to own a car? It seems like, with parking, it could be a big expense that is avoidable.

For me, having a car would definitely be more cost than it's worth. I don't have one and I've managed to get around just fine. You just have to make smaller/more frequent trips to the grocery store, but other than that, I haven't noticed too much of a difference in getting around. Public transportation has been really easy and convenient. For things like getting to the airport, we always just split cabs or get a friend with a car to take us. I think having a car can be nice for things like going to Target/Ikea, but in general it's really not necessary. As far as cost is concerned, it seemed like parking spaces went for about $150/month in the Hyde Park area, but I didn't look too much for parking prices because I never really planned on bringing my car, so perhaps others who have cars will have a better idea of price.

HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LEARN NOT TO BEG AT THE TABLE IF YOU KEEP FEEDING THEM?!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Dany » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:13 am

Haymarket wrote:HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LEARN NOT TO BEG AT THE TABLE IF YOU KEEP FEEDING THEM?!

I will answer questions wherever they are posted because I am nice.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Xifeng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am

Dany wrote:
Haymarket wrote:HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LEARN NOT TO BEG AT THE TABLE IF YOU KEEP FEEDING THEM?!

I will answer questions wherever they are posted because I am nice.


:lol:

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Haymarket » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am

Dany wrote:
Haymarket wrote:HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LEARN NOT TO BEG AT THE TABLE IF YOU KEEP FEEDING THEM?!

I will answer questions wherever they are posted because I am nice.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Danny Mothers
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Danny Mothers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Has anyone gotten their login for the website yet? Also, I updated the OP with the facebook info. Let me know if there's anything else that should be there.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:Has anyone gotten their login for the website yet? Also, I updated the OP with the facebook info. Let me know if there's anything else that should be there.


Apparently log-in info is coming out a the beginning of next week.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Just sent in my deposit. Never been so excited to part with $500.

User avatar
Danny Mothers
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Danny Mothers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Just sent in my deposit. Never been so excited to part with $500.


I just sent mine in as well. These 9 months are going to be long.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Sending in deposit today, sent the seat reservation form in yesterday. :)

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Just sent in my deposit. Never been so excited to part with $500.


I just sent mine in as well. These 9 months are going to be long.


My recommendation is whiskey.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest