University of Chicago Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
ScratchableItch
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby ScratchableItch » Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 am

Hey everyone, I found this in an old UofC thread and thought I'd share it here.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 5b0d30d436

(credit to hmlee)

User avatar
mmkitkat
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby mmkitkat » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Looking forward to seeing you all in HP. September can't come soon enough!

Anyone else choosing to forego Regents? I'll be in the del Prado apartments looking for some 1L camaraderie :)


Late to the party, but I'm also living in the Del Prado! :D

JohnDorian
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby JohnDorian » Thu May 31, 2012 3:39 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 pm

...
Last edited by anewaphorist on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Deep breath

Officially going here. Super excited/nervous as all hell. Don't even know where to start looking for a place to live etc.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby anewaphorist » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:21 am

Catholicgirl, a plurality of students live in Regents (operated by TLC Management) for convenience, camaraderie, etc. I'm under the impression that only a few 1Ls choose graduate housing. MAC Management has a helpful website listing all their Hyde Park properties. TLC has a dozen or so smaller holdings in the area, including budget-friendly properties like Versailles and the Algonquin. Hopefully that gives you a start on your housing search. Best of luck!
Last edited by anewaphorist on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks. This is all so exciting. I can't believe this is happening.

Also, I apologize for bringing down the average LSAT of our school. My 165 is shameful.

ringo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby ringo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Deep breath

Officially going here. Super excited/nervous as all hell. Don't even know where to start looking for a place to live etc.


Congrats! You made the right decision :D

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:17 pm

ringo wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:Deep breath

Officially going here. Super excited/nervous as all hell. Don't even know where to start looking for a place to live etc.


Congrats! You made the right decision :D


Thanks! It's for the best. My little brother called me when he found out my decision and said, "Well this is good, because you can come home for thanksgiving now and buy me beer." Warmed my cold grinchy heart.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby potl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 pm

To the people at Del Prado - when are you all moving in? The people there told me that if I were to move in at the beginning of September, then they won't know the availability of apartments until July because they won't hold a place for more than 60 days. This sound right? I don't really have any reason to suspect that the person on the phone wasn't telling me the truth, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had a conflicting experience.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:46 pm

potl wrote:To the people at Del Prado - when are you all moving in? The people there told me that if I were to move in at the beginning of September, then they won't know the availability of apartments until July because they won't hold a place for more than 60 days. This sound right? I don't really have any reason to suspect that the person on the phone wasn't telling me the truth, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had a conflicting experience.


That's what I was told.

User avatar
mmkitkat
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby mmkitkat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:41 am

potl wrote:To the people at Del Prado - when are you all moving in? The people there told me that if I were to move in at the beginning of September, then they won't know the availability of apartments until July because they won't hold a place for more than 60 days. This sound right? I don't really have any reason to suspect that the person on the phone wasn't telling me the truth, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had a conflicting experience.



I'm moving in on September 1st, and they're holding my unit already, but that's just luck of the draw because the floorplan I wanted happened to open up for the day I wanted to move in and I happened to call at the right moment. The people there are so nice, though, and I'm sure as soon as they have something that matches what you want/need, they'll let you know even if it's before July.

Good luck (not that I think you'll need it, but still)!

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 pm

The 60-day thing is legit.
Last edited by anewaphorist on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fate12
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby fate12 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Does anyone know if you can pay rent online at Del Prado? Also, what are the average monthly rents for del prado?

User avatar
mmkitkat
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby mmkitkat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 pm

fate12 wrote:Does anyone know if you can pay rent online at Del Prado? Also, what are the average monthly rents for del prado?


You can pay rent online. The website lists Studios at $973- $1105, 1BR from $1195- $1365 (and my 1BR with a nice view is somewhere in between those), and 2BR from $1418- $1675.

The website is http://thedelpradoapartments.com/index.html in case you want to look at anything else. HTH.

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby catholicgirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 am

So how far is Del Prado from campus as opposed to Regents?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby skers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

catholicgirl wrote:So how far is Del Prado from campus as opposed to Regents?


The buildings are basically right by each other.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby potl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 am

catholicgirl wrote:So how far is Del Prado from campus as opposed to Regents?


https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=5050 ... gents+Park)&daddr=The+Del+Prado+Apartments,+Hyde+Park+IL+to:University+of+Chicago+Law+School,+Chicago,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.794704,-87.590561&spn=0.018813,0.027595&sll=41.794704,-87.59129&sspn=0.018813,0.027595&geocode=FZjefQIdHY_H-iEp_QD36MD3ZQ%3BFVPOfQIdYZTH-iEPdryKRtsGiykN-hEPdCkOiDFmRrAGr3wPhw%3BFU2afQIdI1jH-iHNxxEXLLrOeyltvPuOFykOiDExxWqzCATEHw&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am

For anyone still looking to do Regents, they extended the Law school discount ($100 off/month, free gym, free internet) beyond May 31st. Not sure when that will go to, but they gave it to me this weekend.

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby daydreamer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:00 am

So on my status checker it indicates that I have paid my seat deposit, however, they have yet to cash it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or were your checks cashed right away? Are they waiting until September to cash the checks?

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Anyone know anything about the "Summer orientation email for the class of 2015" that was supposed to go out yesterday?

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Anyone know anything about the "Summer orientation email for the class of 2015" that was supposed to go out yesterday?


I too have been wondering why we've gotten so little info so far. Where'd you hear it was supposed to go out yesterday?

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:Anyone know anything about the "Summer orientation email for the class of 2015" that was supposed to go out yesterday?


I too have been wondering why we've gotten so little info so far. Where'd you hear it was supposed to go out yesterday?

The book thingy they sent to candidates. I guess that was made months ago, so they're running a bit late - not a big deal, just wanted to make sure it wasn't hiding deep in my spam box or something.

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby catholicgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

daydreamer wrote:So on my status checker it indicates that I have paid my seat deposit, however, they have yet to cash it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or were your checks cashed right away? Are they waiting until September to cash the checks?


In the same boat.

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am

catholicgirl wrote:
daydreamer wrote:So on my status checker it indicates that I have paid my seat deposit, however, they have yet to cash it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or were your checks cashed right away? Are they waiting until September to cash the checks?


In the same boat.


Thanks, glad to know it's not just me. I hope they cash it soon. :?




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest