Cornell Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:That number should just be for SAs. As far as pi goes I actually think its a good school. Number one the lrap doesn't force you to be on it for 10 years like almost every other top school. Number 2 because the school is so big law focused the pi office can give you a lot of help and attention. Number 3 because of the big law focus the alums in pi are extremely enthusiastic, they'll get a couple emails every few years vs. say a Berkeley alum who gets like 50 every year for the sf defenders office.
Thanks for clarifying, and good points w/ PI. Does pretty much the entire class participate in OCI or is there a significant portion that sit out?

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Honestly what the fuck is taking so long with regard to financial aid?

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Honestly what the fuck is taking so long with regard to financial aid?
They told me it shouldn’t be too long :shock:

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Unagi wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Honestly what the fuck is taking so long with regard to financial aid?
They told me it shouldn’t be too long :shock:
Yes well, that's what they've been telling me since about March 15. But let's hope.

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Okay, I would just like to say that finding affordable housing in Ithaca is kind of a nightmare. Is everything in the area this expensive or are all the decently priced houses/apartments already taken?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:Okay, I would just like to say that finding affordable housing in Ithaca is kind of a nightmare. Is everything in the area this expensive or are all the decently priced houses/apartments already taken?
My roomie may be transferring so there'd be an opening.
Last edited by Arbiter213 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:Okay, I would just like to say that finding affordable housing in Ithaca is kind of a nightmare. Is everything in the area this expensive or are all the decently priced houses/apartments already taken?
how expensive is "this expensive" I have a lot of friends who live in their own spot, just down in the commons for like $700/month. Other people who just have a room in a house pay like $500/month

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

FlanAl wrote:
how expensive is "this expensive" I have a lot of friends who live in their own spot, just down in the commons for like $700/month. Other people who just have a room in a house pay like $500/month
Really? That's not bad at all. Pretty much everything I found was around $1000/month or more. There were a couple of cheaper options but they included dorm-like situations with shared bathrooms and closet-sized rooms. If you share a house with people, is that generally cheaper? Are there even any left? Because I couldn't really find any. (Admittedly, I only had one day to look and most definitely did not do a completely thorough search.)

sf88

New

Post by sf88 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Really? That's not bad at all. Pretty much everything I found was around $1000/month or more. There were a couple of cheaper options but they included dorm-like situations with shared bathrooms and closet-sized rooms. If you share a house with people, is that generally cheaper? Are there even any left? Because I couldn't really find any. (Admittedly, I only had one day to look and most definitely did not do a completely thorough search.)
You can definitely find cheaper options if you look a little farther away from campus. The first year of TCAT service is apparently free so if you're ok with a farther location, the pricing is much more reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Requested/received an extension for my first seat deposit while I try to negotiate for scholarships at UVA and figure out logistics at another school or two.

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Requested/received an extension for my first seat deposit while I try to negotiate for scholarships at UVA and figure out logistics at another school or two.
Can you fill me in on the process of asking for an extension? What did you write in the email?

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Lawbro wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Requested/received an extension for my first seat deposit while I try to negotiate for scholarships at UVA and figure out logistics at another school or two.
Can you fill me in on the process of asking for an extension? What did you write in the email?
I called the admissions office and they said send your request to "lawadmit@lawschool.cornell.edu". They didn't give me any specific suggestions/requirements on what to write, so all I did was request an extension, give them a specific date I'd like for my deposit pushed back to, and the reason for my request. I haven't heard back from them yet, but the admissions office said that I've got nothing to worry about because until I hear from them, my "clock is stopped".

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm

In this case OP is the Cornell financial aid office, of course

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lightswitch

New

Post by lightswitch » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

They just denied my request for any additional aid. So as far as they're concerned I'm supposed to come pay sticker to go to Cornell.

That's tough. It really is. Is there a way to continue negotiations, or is this it? Because I really don't know if I can afford to pay sticker here. And I showed them other offers: $45000 from UT-Austin, $48000 from GW, $75000 from Fordham, $120000 from WUSTL. And they still thought I deserve nothing. Huh.
Last edited by lightswitch on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:43 pm

lightswitch wrote:They just denied my request for any additional aid. So as far as they're concerned I'm supposed to come pay sticker to go to Cornell.

That's tough. It really is. Is there a way to continue negotiations, or is this it? Because I really don't know if I can afford to pay sticker here. And I showed them other offers: $45000 from UT-Austin, $48000 from GW, $75000 from Fordham, $120000 from WUSTL. And they still thought I deserve nothing. Huh.
That's rough. Im surprised they didn't throw you a couple K a year cause of UT. Quite the pickle now. Not sure what more you can do. Try leveraging with other T14s admissions and argue for aid in light of tuition differentials?

I think Cornell at sticker still is a solid choice if the above are your only other options right now. Let us know what you decide!

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:44 pm

woeisme wrote:
lightswitch wrote:They just denied my request for any additional aid. So as far as they're concerned I'm supposed to come pay sticker to go to Cornell.

That's rough. Im surprised they didn't throw you a couple K a year cause of UT. Quite the pickle now. Not sure what more you can do. Try leveraging with other T14s admissions and argue for aid in light of tuition differentials?

I think Cornell at sticker still is a solid choice if the above are your only other options right now. Let us know what you decide!
Yeah, seriously. Not feeling very hopeful about my incoming package atm.

lightswitch

New

Post by lightswitch » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Does anyone know what Cornell's medians for this year are?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poligal

New

Post by poligal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Wrong forum - remove my question!

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Lawbro wrote:Image

In this case OP is the Cornell financial aid office, of course
And so ends another day without a financial aid package.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm

99% sure I am attending

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:59 pm

I had a friend in a similar situation, he was offered $105,000 at BU and nothing at Cornell, right when deposits were going to be due he got an acceptance from Penn with about $90k IIRC. He took the Penn offer and didn't look back.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

sf88 wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
You can definitely find cheaper options if you look a little farther away from campus. The first year of TCAT service is apparently free so if you're ok with a farther location, the pricing is much more reasonable.
I've been searching for a week now and its turning into a complete nightmare...Finding decent 1 bedrooms within 10 mins walking distance to the law school for anything less than 1,400 is quite the feat. I don't want to deal with buses/longer walking in the winter but I also don't want to be in a dark dingy dump. sigh. I hate the Ithaca housing situation.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 pm

I've been searching for a week now and its turning into a complete nightmare...Finding decent 1 bedrooms within 10 mins walking distance to the law school for anything less than 1,400 is quite the feat. I don't want to deal with buses/longer walking in the winter but I also don't want to be in a dark dingy dump. sigh. I hate the Ithaca housing situation.
I just said screw it and threw my app into hughes its only like 7k for 9 months and its right next to the law school. I hate the cold as well and i like to wake up right before class.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
I just said screw it and threw my app into hughes its only like 7k for 9 months and its right next to the law school. I hate the cold as well and i like to wake up right before class.
Just did the same. Can't stomach the housing available in the collegetown area honestly, for the prices offered. Hoping to live in downtown or commons area for 2L/3L years (if I make it that far and don't jump off the bridge first lol j/k)

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Just did the same. Can't stomach the housing available in the collegetown area honestly, for the prices offered. Hoping to live in downtown or commons area for 2L/3L years (if I make it that far and don't jump off the bridge first lol j/k)
plus, with hughes we skip the nightmare of trying to find a summer subletter. i'm sure we'll be happy to not have that worry as we're ending the spring semester and preparing for our 1L summer gig.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”