Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

Lawbro

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Lawbro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:00 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Lawbro wrote:Any of you guys interested in getting a large house with several bedrooms?

i be livin in hughes brah. well, i applied for it anyway.

I might apply for it too, but by the time I get my financial aid package and put down my deposit there probably won't be any rooms left.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Lawbro wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
Lawbro wrote:Any of you guys interested in getting a large house with several bedrooms?

I might apply for it too, but by the time I get my financial aid package and put down my deposit there probably won't be any rooms left.

From what I've heard, Hughes is hardly ever in high demand and if you want it you can usually get it.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Lawbro wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

From what I've heard, Hughes is hardly ever in high demand and if you want it you can usually get it.

Really? Because I've been worried about the same thing. I'm not really sure I want it, but I do want it as an option. Also, if I'm going to be living in Ithaca, the less I have to go outside the better off I'll be.

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Cornell better be offering me a full freaking ride to make up for taking this long.

I know I complain about this a lot, but it's just so FRUSTRATING.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

That's good to hear, I would like to have hughes as an option as well. It seems to be minimally more expensive than other options, and it definitely has a greater comfort level.

hellothisisme wrote:Cornell better be offering me a full freaking ride to make up for taking this long.

I'm frustrated too. They will probably wait till after the 16th, which is incredibly selfish considering a lot of schools have their deadline on the 16th. If I don't get it this week I will probably go have a talk with the financial aid office on Friday.

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am

Lawbro wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Cornell better be offering me a full freaking ride to make up for taking this long.

I'm frustrated too. They will probably wait till after the 16th, which is incredibly selfish considering a lot of schools have their deadline on the 16th. If I don't get it this week I will probably go have a talk with the financial aid office on Friday.

Hoping everything works out for the both of you. Fortunately for me, I'm just waiting on UVA to offer me $$$ this week. If nada, then I'll putting down my first deposit to Cornell.

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Hoping everything works out for the both of you. Fortunately for me, I'm just waiting on UVA to offer me $$$ this week. If nada, then I'll putting down my first deposit to Cornell.

Thanks! Best of luck with your decision.

Lawbro wrote:I'm frustrated too. They will probably wait till after the 16th, which is incredibly selfish considering a lot of schools have their deadline on the 16th. If I don't get it this week I will probably go have a talk with the financial aid office on Friday.

If you talk with them, would you mind letting me know on here what they say? Like if they tell you when you can expect to hear from them regarding an aid decision? I have called and e-mailed and just keep getting told the same thing: I'll know when I know. :/

lightswitch

Postby lightswitch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Do we just email the financial aid office if we're trying to negotiate for scholarships? Or is there another email/person we should be contacting?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 pm

For any of you 0Ls that are deciding between the shithole people call USC and Cornell, make note of this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9198983/Gunman-kills-two-students-at-university-in-bungled-car-jacking.html

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Ikki wrote:For any of you 0Ls that are deciding between the shithole people call USC and Cornell, make note of this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9198983/Gunman-kills-two-students-at-university-in-bungled-car-jacking.html

lol. South Central LA is a dangerous place.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
Ikki wrote:For any of you 0Ls that are deciding between the shithole people call USC and Cornell, make note of this:

lol. South Central LA is a dangerous place.

And if you're smart, you'll stay away from it.

RopeisaJoke

Postby RopeisaJoke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 am

Sooo... am I supposed to just mail a $300 dollar check with a simple letter saying I accept, or is there more to it than that?

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:30 am

RopeisaJoke wrote:Sooo... am I supposed to just mail a $300 dollar check with a simple letter saying I accept, or is there more to it than that?

That's pretty much what I did. They send an email to confirm.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:07 am

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/career ... istics.cfm

New employment stats. They are pretty ugly though not surprising

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

Have you seen how other schools fair? I'm curious but too lazy to look for myself

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm

FlanAl wrote:Have you seen how other schools fair? I'm curious but too lazy to look for myself

It seems to be consistent with most of the lower t14 from what I can tell.

Ghghghhhg2000

Postby Ghghghhhg2000 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 pm

top30man wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Have you seen how other schools fair? I'm curious but too lazy to look for myself

What does it mean to have a "law school funded" position?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Ghghghhhg2000 wrote:
top30man wrote:

What does it mean to have a "law school funded" position?

I'd like to think its like one of the schools grants to go work public interest for a year after you graduate. but its probably working at the library or something. that said I don't really see any young people working at our school, maybe they hide them somewhere?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:
I'd like to think its like one of the schools grants to go work public interest for a year after you graduate. but its probably working at the library or something. that said I don't really see any young people working at our school, maybe they hide them somewhere?

Yeah, it's public interest grants.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:38 pm

woeisme wrote:
FlanAl wrote:

That's not too bad. I was really hoping it wasn't people working at the library.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Everyone come to Pixel tonight!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
woeisme wrote:
FlanAl wrote:

That's not too bad. I was really hoping it wasn't people working at the library.

definitely better than "not too bad" haha those grants are super preftigious and actually lead to really good work after your work your 2 years for free.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:30 am

Alright here it goes.... I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cornell. Most of the 1L's and other Cornell students lead me to believe that Cornell really was in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and that you would have to trek 30 miles in a blizzard just got get to a gas station. Not the case at all. Ithaca actually looks like a great place and there is plenty to do. The restaurants are delish ( Taste of Thai, The Nines, Boat yard Grill) and all have a great ambiance. Ithaca commons is really neat as well. It is a strip of specialty shops, restaurants, and bars. It has everything you need...it might not be right across the street from the school, but one mile is hardly "inaccessible" especially if you have a car. About one mile from the school is Wegmas' ( freaking awesome) a super Walmart, PetsMart, Lowes, Panera, Chipotle, Taco Bell McDonals, Verizon, CVS, K-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples....you get the picture. And they are all int eh same shopping plaza. Ithaca is also more crowded that I thought it would be. Now, if you are coming from Los Angeles or NYC, I can see why you would think this is in the middle of nowhere and such a small town. For me, I came from UF which in essence is a collegetown. Aside from the one mall, movies, restaurants, bars, and the school...there isn't a whole lot. In my opinion, Ithaca actually has more to do then Gainesville, FL. So, maybe that is why I think Ithaca isn't really that small. Obviously I wasn't here during the winter, but as long as the inside is warm...I don't anticipate frolicking in the snow for any length of time.
The school itself is beautiful. When you walk into the school you just feel...smart. I went to Vandy's ASW, and even though there is only a 2 rank difference between the two schools, I felt like Cornel was MILES ahead. Vanderbilt would certainly be more user friendly because the students are more party focused and possible Nashville is easier to navigate, but once you get acclimated to the streets and where everything is in Ithaca I don't think it would be a problem. Also, the student body was not monastic. There is a good, diversified mix, but everyone was generally friendly. I was sitting in on Clermont's class and the two girls next to me were txt messaging and what not. Seems like they are all pretty normal and not crazy academics. Next to Caucasian, I think Asian is the next largest ethnic group.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Before visiting and going off just what everyone at TLS said, I was ready to write Cornell off and go to Vanderbilt. Just goes to show you will never have a complete understanding of the school unless you go visit. Don't always go off of what other people say because Ithaca may be a boring, small town to some...but to me it was an upgrade. PM if you have any additional questions.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:44 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Alright here it goes.... I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cornell. Most of the 1L's and other Cornell students lead me to believe that Cornell really was in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and that you would have to trek 30 miles in a blizzard just got get to a gas station. Not the case at all. Ithaca actually looks like a great place and there is plenty to do. The restaurants are delish ( Taste of Thai, The Nines, Boat yard Grill) and all have a great ambiance. Ithaca commons is really neat as well. It is a strip of specialty shops, restaurants, and bars. It has everything you need...it might not be right across the street from the school, but one mile is hardly "inaccessible" especially if you have a car. About one mile from the school is Wegmas' ( freaking awesome) a super Walmart, PetsMart, Lowes, Panera, Chipotle, Taco Bell McDonals, Verizon, CVS, K-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples....you get the picture. And they are all int eh same shopping plaza. Ithaca is also more crowded that I thought it would be. Now, if you are coming from Los Angeles or NYC, I can see why you would think this is in the middle of nowhere and such a small town. For me, I came from UF which in essence is a collegetown. Aside from the one mall, movies, restaurants, bars, and the school...there isn't a whole lot. In my opinion, Ithaca actually has more to do then Gainesville, FL. So, maybe that is why I think Ithaca isn't really that small. Obviously I wasn't here during the winter, but as long as the inside is warm...I don't anticipate frolicking in the snow for any length of time.
The school itself is beautiful. When you walk into the school you just feel...smart. I went to Vandy's ASW, and even though there is only a 2 rank difference between the two schools, I felt like Cornel was MILES ahead. Vanderbilt would certainly be more user friendly because the students are more party focused and possible Nashville is easier to navigate, but once you get acclimated to the streets and where everything is in Ithaca I don't think it would be a problem. Also, the student body was not monastic. There is a good, diversified mix, but everyone was generally friendly. I was sitting in on Clermont's class and the two girls next to me were txt messaging and what not. Seems like they are all pretty normal and not crazy academics. Next to Caucasian, I think Asian is the next largest ethnic group.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Before visiting and going off just what everyone at TLS said, I was ready to write Cornell off and go to Vanderbilt. Just goes to show you will never have a complete understanding of the school unless you go visit. Don't always go off of what other people say because Ithaca may be a boring, small town to some...but to me it was an upgrade. PM if you have any additional questions.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. And I think Ithaca is pretty awesome.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Alright here it goes.... I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cornell. Most of the 1L's and other Cornell students lead me to believe that Cornell really was in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and that you would have to trek 30 miles in a blizzard just got get to a gas station. Not the case at all. Ithaca actually looks like a great place and there is plenty to do. The restaurants are delish ( Taste of Thai, The Nines, Boat yard Grill) and all have a great ambiance. Ithaca commons is really neat as well. It is a strip of specialty shops, restaurants, and bars. It has everything you need...it might not be right across the street from the school, but one mile is hardly "inaccessible" especially if you have a car. About one mile from the school is Wegmas' ( freaking awesome) a super Walmart, PetsMart, Lowes, Panera, Chipotle, Taco Bell McDonals, Verizon, CVS, K-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples....you get the picture. And they are all int eh same shopping plaza. Ithaca is also more crowded that I thought it would be. Now, if you are coming from Los Angeles or NYC, I can see why you would think this is in the middle of nowhere and such a small town. For me, I came from UF which in essence is a collegetown. Aside from the one mall, movies, restaurants, bars, and the school...there isn't a whole lot. In my opinion, Ithaca actually has more to do then Gainesville, FL. So, maybe that is why I think Ithaca isn't really that small. Obviously I wasn't here during the winter, but as long as the inside is warm...I don't anticipate frolicking in the snow for any length of time.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. And I think Ithaca is pretty awesome.

hehe

juuuust wait

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”