Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
20
33%
April 13th
16
26%
Both
2
3%
Neither
23
38%
 
Total votes: 61

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Buses run mainly from Green and Seneca. The 10, which is the Campus loop, also stops at Tioga @ Court, and at University @ Linn. Most people who live downtown stay close to those stops.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Is Stewart and Williams St. considered Collegetown?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Is Stewart and Williams St. considered Collegetown?


Yes. I'd say south of Buffalo or west of Stewart is lower Collegetown. Stewart at Williams is thus Collegetown proper.

blueseahorse
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby blueseahorse » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Lawbro wrote:I was really hoping going that far up north (I live by NYC now) would put me closer to some good mountains, apparently not. Gore mountain and Whiteface seem to be close enough for a nice weekend trip (they are 4-5 hours away), but otherwise seems like I'll have to content myself with the small mountains you listed. If you are going to Cornell we should definitely go shred together once in a while. I snowboard as well.


i ski and definitely plan on doing so to relieve stress!! road trips could be fun too, i'll have a car. also in nyc and was hoping to be closer to mountains too but oh well

also, do any law students live in lansing, cayuga heights, or near the lake? or is that too far?

User avatar
Feeny
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Feeny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm

I guess more financial aid emails are being sent out now.

Just got mine...all loans. But on the bright side, at least it's less than 75k a year. ($74,680)

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Feeny wrote:I guess more financial aid emails are being sent out now.

Just got mine...all loans. But on the bright side, at least it's less than 75k a year. ($74,680)


You just got yours? Still waiting, hope it comes today. Sorry about the loans but at you're staying on the optimistic side!

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Killingly wrote:
Feeny wrote:I guess more financial aid emails are being sent out now.

Just got mine...all loans. But on the bright side, at least it's less than 75k a year. ($74,680)


You just got yours? Still waiting, hope it comes today. Sorry about the loans but at you're staying on the optimistic side!

Can't stop checking email.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Feeny wrote:I guess more financial aid emails are being sent out now.

Just got mine...all loans. But on the bright side, at least it's less than 75k a year. ($74,680)


You just got yours? Still waiting, hope it comes today. Sorry about the loans but at you're staying on the optimistic side!

Can't stop checking email.


Same. If I don't get it today I'm gonna call.

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Killingly wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Feeny wrote:I guess more financial aid emails are being sent out now.

Just got mine...all loans. But on the bright side, at least it's less than 75k a year. ($74,680)


You just got yours? Still waiting, hope it comes today. Sorry about the loans but at you're staying on the optimistic side!

Can't stop checking email.


Same. If I don't get it today I'm gonna call.

I need to go back through my emails, but I believe they told me that I have until April 16th or 2 weeks after I get my fin aid package, whichever comes later, to put down my deposit. I guess that makes me feel better? (Not really)

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:26 pm

So just to be clear, if the financial aid email just lists loans, then there's no scholarship/real financial aid available?

How do we negotiate with Cornell? Anyone have any successful experiences/stories they're willing to share?

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:28 pm

lightswitch wrote:So just to be clear, if the financial aid email just lists loans, then there's no scholarship/real financial aid available?

How do we negotiate with Cornell? Anyone have any successful experiences/stories they're willing to share?


No clue. Did you just get yours?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 pm

lightswitch wrote:So just to be clear, if the financial aid email just lists loans, then there's no scholarship/real financial aid available?

How do we negotiate with Cornell? Anyone have any successful experiences/stories they're willing to share?


True

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Yeah, I just got mine today, and I just wanted to make sure that no additional aid is forthcoming.

I want to negotiate but I don't know the success rate/how this works. I got $7k a year from UT, $38k a year from WUSTL. My stats are 168/3.68; Cornell is the highest ranked school that I was accepted to.

Any advice?

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:42 pm

lightswitch wrote:Yeah, I just got mine today, and I just wanted to make sure that no additional aid is forthcoming.

I want to negotiate but I don't know the success rate/how this works. I got $7k a year from UT, $38k a year from WUSTL. My stats are 168/3.68; Cornell is the highest ranked school that I was accepted to.

Any advice?


Try it, using both offers. I attempted with 28/year from WUSTL. Results are...forthcoming.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm

lightswitch wrote:Yeah, I just got mine today, and I just wanted to make sure that no additional aid is forthcoming.

I want to negotiate but I don't know the success rate/how this works. I got $7k a year from UT, $38k a year from WUSTL. My stats are 168/3.68; Cornell is the highest ranked school that I was accepted to.

Any advice?



You could try negotiating by presenting CoA for Texas, and total scholarship from WUSTL. That would make the 7k look more meaningful, and the 38k is big on its own. Worst they say is no.
Good luck!

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Killingly wrote:
lightswitch wrote:Yeah, I just got mine today, and I just wanted to make sure that no additional aid is forthcoming.

I want to negotiate but I don't know the success rate/how this works. I got $7k a year from UT, $38k a year from WUSTL. My stats are 168/3.68; Cornell is the highest ranked school that I was accepted to.

Any advice?


Try it, using both offers. I attempted with 28/year from WUSTL. Results are...forthcoming.


I was thinking about trying to negotiate with Texas using WUSTL, and then use Texas to negotiate with Cornell. Does that work? Also, do we just send in the email with the WUSTL award? There's no physical letter (at least I never got one)

And I might be completely ignorant, but what's CoA?

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:49 pm

lightswitch wrote:
Killingly wrote:
lightswitch wrote:Yeah, I just got mine today, and I just wanted to make sure that no additional aid is forthcoming.

I want to negotiate but I don't know the success rate/how this works. I got $7k a year from UT, $38k a year from WUSTL. My stats are 168/3.68; Cornell is the highest ranked school that I was accepted to.

Any advice?


Try it, using both offers. I attempted with 28/year from WUSTL. Results are...forthcoming.


I was thinking about trying to negotiate with Texas using WUSTL, and then use Texas to negotiate with Cornell. Does that work? Also, do we just send in the email with the WUSTL award? There's no physical letter (at least I never got one)

And I might be completely ignorant, but what's CoA?


CoA = Cost of Attendance. Since Texas' total cost would be a good deal less than Cornell's, it would emphasize the difference moreso than just looking at the 7k scholarship.

You could trickle down negotiations, but that would surely take a little while (particularly relevant since we have <2 weeks before Cornell's first deposit deadline)

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby hellothisisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Still waiting on the financial aid e-mail here.... Sigh.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:09 pm

It really does seem that we can only have 2 of the 3 when it comes to housing price, proximity to school, and quality. I want to find a place less a mile or so away, under 850 bucks furnished, and in a nice and quiet location. What are some areas I should be looking at?

Also, since I will be searching 2600 miles away, what are the best websites to look for housing/apts in Ithaca?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:It really does seem that we can only have 2 of the 3 when it comes to housing price, proximity to school, and quality. I want to find a place less a mile or so away, under 850 bucks furnished, and in a nice and quiet location. What are some areas I should be looking at?

Also, since I will be searching 2600 miles away, what are the best websites to look for housing/apts in Ithaca?


Lower Collegetown, downtown, maybe north campus. Email all the property managers you can find. Although they are of limited use, try craigslist, the Cornell housing website, etc.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Lincoln wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:It really does seem that we can only have 2 of the 3 when it comes to housing price, proximity to school, and quality. I want to find a place less a mile or so away, under 850 bucks furnished, and in a nice and quiet location. What are some areas I should be looking at?

Also, since I will be searching 2600 miles away, what are the best websites to look for housing/apts in Ithaca?


Lower Collegetown, downtown, maybe north campus. Email all the property managers you can find. Although they are of limited use, try craigslist, the Cornell housing website, etc.

thanks!

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Still waiting on the financial aid e-mail here.... Sigh.

Also still waiting here. I thought I would have heard by now.

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

So I should be putting all my proverbial eggs in that first email? List every scholarship that I got for every school that I got it?

Thanks so much again. This is very helpful.

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby hellothisisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:36 pm

top30man wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Still waiting on the financial aid e-mail here.... Sigh.

Also still waiting here. I thought I would have heard by now.


So did I. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I guess I'll call.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

hellothisisme wrote:
top30man wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Still waiting on the financial aid e-mail here.... Sigh.

Also still waiting here. I thought I would have heard by now.


So did I. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I guess I'll call.

Agreed.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest