Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

hellothisisme

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby hellothisisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for that write-up. I am a little surprised that Cornell faculty and students were so open about the "intense" reputation being deserved... That's not something most law schools would like to advertise, I would think.

In other news, it's now past 5 on the east coast.... Did anybody get any financial aid information today? I sure didn't. But I swear the lady told me they're going out today and tomorrow, haha. I guess here's hoping for tomorrow...

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm

hellothisisme wrote: I am a little surprised that Cornell faculty and students were so open about the "intense" reputation being deserved... That's not something most law schools would like to advertise, I would think.

I'm an alum, but this surprises me too. I've always figured that law school is intense wherever you go and that you'll always have your studiers and your slackers. I suppose being in Ithaca as opposed to more of a big time city may somewhat facilitate increased study hours, but that's probably overplayed and would still fail to distinguish many schools. Frankly, my advice is to really take this with a grain of salt.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

woeisme wrote:
hellothisisme wrote: I am a little surprised that Cornell faculty and students were so open about the "intense" reputation being deserved... That's not something most law schools would like to advertise, I would think.

I'm an alum, but this surprises me too. I've always figured that law school is intense wherever you go and that you'll always have your studiers and your slackers. I suppose being in Ithaca as opposed to more of a big time city may somewhat facilitate increased study hours, but that's probably overplayed and would still fail to distinguish many schools. Frankly, my advice is to really take this with a grain of salt.

So, will there be at least a few slackers I can beat with the curve? haha

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:05 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
woeisme wrote:

So, will there be at least a few slackers I can beat with the curve? haha

That's all I'm asking for.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 pm

woeisme wrote:

4 substantive classes, graded legal writing (SOME other schools only have 3 substantive classes) and a gunnerific class that set the record for the number moot court competitors. I think how hard you have to work completely depends on your class. I went there thinking it would be laid back because of what people who are now 2L's told me. I think that this happens at any law school. But yeah I think a lot of people think its hard work because they have friends at other schools that don't have graded legal writing etc.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:
woeisme wrote:

4 substantive classes, graded legal writing (SOME other schools only have 3 substantive classes) and a gunnerific class that set the record for the number moot court competitors. I think how hard you have to work completely depends on your class. I went there thinking it would be laid back because of what people who are now 2L's told me. I think that this happens at any law school. But yeah I think a lot of people think its hard work because they have friends at other schools that don't have graded legal writing etc.

:pewpew:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:36 pm

i mean sun's out...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:37 pm

FlanAl wrote:i mean sun's out...

Wouldn't know, still in the library gunning.*

*actually I'm at home relaxing.

oliverlovesyou

Postby oliverlovesyou » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 pm

I haven't really seen much discussion about the pros and cons of Hughes Hall. Anyone care to enlighten? I hate driving and cold weather, so living next door must be nice, right?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:I haven't really seen much discussion about the pros and cons of Hughes Hall. Anyone care to enlighten? I hate driving and cold weather, so living next door must be nice, right?

Pros-close to the law school
Cons- close to the law school, shared bath and kitchen, dorm like, small

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
oliverlovesyou wrote:I haven't really seen much discussion about the pros and cons of Hughes Hall. Anyone care to enlighten? I hate driving and cold weather, so living next door must be nice, right?

I may live there just so that I don't have to drive in the winter. Or go outside. Not a fan of snow....

minnie7

Postby minnie7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 pm

what are some good apartment complexes or streets/regions that are know to house mostly grad students?...also, which bars/places are known to be frequented by grad students ?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 am

minnie7 wrote:what are some good apartment complexes or streets/regions that are know to house mostly grad students?...also, which bars/places are known to be frequented by grad students ?

west of college avenue but close to east state street seems like the best to me. not sure about the undergrad pop but I've never noticed it when visiting friends there. also it is close to both the commons and the law school, as well as letting you avoid the worst of the hills. Bars: for grad students-> big red barn, for law students and ithaca college ugrads-> the commons/ moonies

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 am

msblaw89 wrote:

Hughes Hall seemed SUPER gheTTTo. I'm sure there are places 5x better than that place in Ithaca for less rent

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Hughes Hall seemed SUPER gheTTTo. I'm sure there are places 5x better than that place in Ithaca for less rent

Yeah when I visited I saw several places that were cheaper. From what I saw (which was not much) avoid the main strip and look at single family homes that have been subdivided or similar. Good deals and a few places that are grad student only.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am

Any skiers/snowboarders in this thread? I'm trying to find some good mountains in the vicinity

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 am

Lawbro wrote:Any skiers/snowboarders in this thread? I'm trying to find some good mountains in the vicinity

Avid snowboarder here. There's actually a surprising lack of good mountains in NY state as a whole. Decently close to Cornell are Labrador and Greek Peak mountains, but those are fairly small. If you're willing to travel a little ways, Gore Mountain in the Adirondacks has a lot of nice trails, and is probably one of the biggest ones in NY. You're best bet is to take a ski trip up to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine, which is probably 5-6 hours away. Well worth it if you have the time though. Attitash, Sunday River, Smuggler's Notch, Killington and Stowe are all some of the best skiing/snowboarding in the country I'd venture.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 am

I was really hoping going that far up north (I live by NYC now) would put me closer to some good mountains, apparently not. Gore mountain and Whiteface seem to be close enough for a nice weekend trip (they are 4-5 hours away), but otherwise seems like I'll have to content myself with the small mountains you listed. If you are going to Cornell we should definitely go shred together once in a while. I snowboard as well.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:47 am

Lawbro wrote:I was really hoping going that far up north (I live by NYC now) would put me closer to some good mountains, apparently not. Gore mountain and Whiteface seem to be close enough for a nice weekend trip (they are 4-5 hours away), but otherwise seems like I'll have to content myself with the small mountains you listed. If you are going to Cornell we should definitely go shred together once in a while. I snowboard as well.

I'll definitely bring my board up! Lab, which is like 20ish miles from Ithaca, has student rates and certain weekends that have passes for ~10$ if you have a student ID.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm

bigeast03 wrote:One of the students talked about his insane study patterns that involved him getting up 5:30 am everyday to make sure he was in the library by 6. He also had “power weekends.” Not sure if this is typical, but I sure hope not.

Ha! I can guarantee that he is the exception.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:*actually I'm at home relaxing.

Same here. I couldn't handle the thought of sitting through 2 hrs of accounting.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 pm

minnie7 wrote:what are some good apartment complexes or streets/regions that are know to house mostly grad students?...also, which bars/places are known to be frequented by grad students ?

I live downtown. Takes 10 mins on the bus which runs every 6 mins. If the weather is nice I walk, which takes 15 mins. Pretty much every grad student I know (and I know more than anyone else in my class) lives downtown. Most law students live in ctown, but rents are double what they are here, the apartments are way shittier, and you are surrounded by frat boys.

Grad students mostly go to Chapter House, which is on Stewart, or to bars downtown.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Lincoln wrote:

I live downtown. Takes 10 mins on the bus which runs every 6 mins. If the weather is nice I walk, which takes 15 mins. Pretty much every grad student I know (and I know more than anyone else in my class) lives downtown. Most law students live in ctown, but rents are double what they are here, the apartments are way shittier, and you are surrounded by frat boys.

Grad students mostly go to Chapter House, which is on Stewart, or to bars downtown.

What streets are considered downtown?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

What streets are considered downtown?

Downtown is anything at the bottom of the hill. Basically Aurora and west. Anything East of Aurora is generally considered lower Collegetown, I think. I'd consider anything within 5 blocks of the Commons downtown, even if it's technically Fall Creek, South Hill, or what have you. Most of the bars are on State, Cayuga, and Aurora.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Lincoln wrote:

Can you name some apt complexes so I can look them up? Or is it mostly houses ?

I'm hoping to find a studio under 1000

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”