Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

Killingly

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Killingly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 am

top30man wrote:What is the speculation on financial aid? Do you think if we haven't heard by now it's bad news?

If it doesn't come out today, I'mma be mad.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

top30man wrote:What is the speculation on financial aid? Do you think if we haven't heard by now it's bad news?

Not necessarily, no. But I really don't know and just felt like posting a response.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

Killingly wrote:

Agreed. I thought you were going to mich?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 am

top30man wrote:
Killingly wrote:

Agreed. I thought you were going to mich?

PM'ed.

blueseahorse

Postby blueseahorse » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:48 pm

hi everyone! just checking in.. still waiting to hear from nyu but as of now i'm definitely going to cornell! :D had a great time at the ASW. currently looking at apt's, i want to be close to campus (but not thaaat close), and kind of want a pet, so it's a little hard finding them. the collegetown terrace development looks cool but it's not pet friendly. :|

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Will we get financial aid information before Cornell's deposit deadline? At this rate... it doesn't seem like it.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Will we get financial aid information before Cornell's deposit deadline? At this rate... it doesn't seem like it.

You should call and ask. I would, but they are so sick of me.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:44 pm

blueseahorse wrote:hi everyone! just checking in.. still waiting to hear from nyu but as of now i'm definitely going to cornell! :D had a great time at the ASW. currently looking at apt's, i want to be close to campus (but not thaaat close), and kind of want a pet, so it's a little hard finding them. the collegetown terrace development looks cool but it's not pet friendly. :|

I agree, the model apt was really nice!

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Killingly wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Will we get financial aid information before Cornell's deposit deadline? At this rate... it doesn't seem like it.

I called and was told that financial aid e-mails are going out today and tomorrow.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:06 pm

That's very good to hear

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:16 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:That's do-able. Any suggestions on where to stay?

I'm staying at the Super8, but I will have access to a rental car

Is Cornell offering travel stipends? I'd really like to do this for $150 or less. I'm running out of money after this whole application/school visiting process lol.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:19 pm

hellothisisme wrote:
Killingly wrote:

I called and was told that financial aid e-mails are going out today and tomorrow.

Great thanks for letting us know.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 pm

top30man wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:
Killingly wrote:

Great thanks for letting us know.

+1

Thanks so much!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Has anyone done an apartment search yet? Some of the newer apartment complexes in Collegetown run about $1500-$1700 for a 1/1. Then I saw a few houses that were a couple miles out (near bus route) that were much cheaper. Like 2/1 duplex or 3/2 home for $1100-1300. Wondering if there is a catch.... seemed decent enough.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Has anyone done an apartment search yet? Some of the newer apartment complexes in Collegetown run about $1500-$1700 for a 1/1. Then I saw a few houses that were a couple miles out (near bus route) that were much cheaper. Like 2/1 duplex or 3/2 home for $1100-1300. Wondering if there is a catch.... seemed decent enough.

I pay $1340/month for a big subdivided victorian (full 2br apartment, living room, kitchen, bathroom, really insane square footage) with all utilities but electric and free internet, and I'm in lower collegetown. The places near campus are ripoffs intended for rich undergrads.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Has anyone done an apartment search yet? Some of the newer apartment complexes in Collegetown run about $1500-$1700 for a 1/1. Then I saw a few houses that were a couple miles out (near bus route) that were much cheaper. Like 2/1 duplex or 3/2 home for $1100-1300. Wondering if there is a catch.... seemed decent enough.

I pay $1340/month for a big subdivided victorian (full 2br apartment, living room, kitchen, bathroom, really insane square footage) with all utilities but electric and free internet, and I'm in lower collegetown. The places near campus are ripoffs intended for rich undergrads.

Do you have heat?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Wasn't the first asd on friday? If you went please type up a full report tyia :-)

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Wasn't the first asd on friday? If you went please type up a full report tyia :-)

+1

anemonesque

Postby anemonesque » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm a current Cornell ugrad and I have a nice 1 bedroom, 1 bath very close to the law school (5 min walk--it's 1 block really, but it's uphill) and it'll be open for subletting this summer 'til August if anyone's interested.

I've lived off campus for a few years and did major apartment hunting. The stuff closer to campus (Ctown plaza etc) is really overpriced; buildings on Stewart Ave are better for law students because of closeness, price+space considerations, and the higher number of studios and 1-bedrooms. If you don't mind major hills, maybe also consider University Ave. You should be able to find a studio for 700-800 and a 1 bdroom for ~1000 if you look a little. I don't recommend lower ctown places, because from what I've seen, the buildings are pretty old, it can be loud (and filled with ugrads), and it's a little far to walk.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Wasn't the first asd on friday? If you went please type up a full report tyia :-)

I'm at work right now, but I could definitely type up a run-down of the day if anyone is actually interested. [Disclaimer: I didn't stay both days, just Friday]

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Do you have heat?

No I just wear lots of sweaters?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm

anemonesque wrote:I'm a current Cornell ugrad and I have a nice 1 bedroom, 1 bath very close to the law school (5 min walk--it's 1 block really, but it's uphill) and it'll be open for subletting this summer 'til August if anyone's interested.

I've lived off campus for a few years and did major apartment hunting. The stuff closer to campus (Ctown plaza etc) is really overpriced; buildings on Stewart Ave are better for law students because of closeness, price+space considerations, and the higher number of studios and 1-bedrooms. If you don't mind major hills, maybe also consider University Ave. You should be able to find a studio for 700-800 and a 1 bdroom for ~1000 if you look a little. I don't recommend lower ctown places, because from what I've seen, the buildings are pretty old, it can be loud (and filled with ugrads), and it's a little far to walk.

My street is completely dead silent, and though the building is more than 100 years old it's kept in great conditions.

I'm south of Stewart.

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 pm

bigeast03 wrote:

I'm at work right now, but I could definitely type up a run-down of the day if anyone is actually interested. [Disclaimer: I didn't stay both days, just Friday]

I am definitely interested.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm

anemonesque wrote:I'm a current Cornell ugrad and I have a nice 1 bedroom, 1 bath very close to the law school (5 min walk--it's 1 block really, but it's uphill) and it'll be open for subletting this summer 'til August if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm

My ASD! (Sorry for typos/grammar dumbness, I was hurried)

I got in a little bit early, around 7:30ish, so I went down to CTB for a minute. About as good as everyone hypes it up to be. When I get to the room where we are supposed to start out, I see a few of the guys from TLS so we introduce ourselves and whatnot. Overall, everybody seems friendly and welcoming. They set out some bagels and coffee/oj for breakfast. Everybody also got a pretty nifty Cornell padfolio with a map of the area and a schedule of events. We started out in G90 and that was basically the home-base for the day’s events. At the opening introduction most of the admissions folk introduced themselves and welcomed us to Cornell and gave a run down of the schedule. Right after that we had student introductions where we went around and said our names/undergrad/what we’ve done post-graduation or if we were still in school. After these introductions we are broken into groups of ~8 and each group is given a tour guide.
The tour of Myron Taylor was interesting. The building itself is very impressive, but the rooms are somewhat dated. It’s been mentioned before, but the none of the classroom have access to the internet. Our tour guide talks a little bit about the law school culture there, specifically the reputation for studying significantly more than other schools. The tour guide agreed that the reputation is deserved, which I was a little surprised by (not entirely sure why). He explained that since there’s nothing else to do in Ithaca, everyone sticks to the books. He also echoes the general sentiment that above-median is set, but doesn’t really touch on below-median (not unexpected). We wrap up the tour and head back to homebase.
Back at G90, we have the Career Services talk. Dean DeRosa emphasizes the need to go to an elite school, in this economy more so than ever. He also gives some interesting points of discussion. He states that pre-ITE (didn’t use that phrase, unfortunately), hiring by DC and NYC alone exceeded the number of graduates from the all of the top 15 schools combined (egregious Texas trolling at Cornell). He also said that he expects numbers to approach what he called the new normal, which is approximately 80-90% of what it was pre-ITE. He concluded by saying that he figures at least 80% of the class currently has a job lined up at firms with more than 100 lawyers. No hard stats to back that up, but it was the percentage he was throwing around.
After the Career Services talk, Financial Aid gave a brief, under-whelming presentation. Loans suck. Scholarships mean fewer loans. Cornell is expensive. Budget.
The introduction by Dean Scwab is very nice. He was impressive and well-spoken, which again, is not unexpected. He also stresses the importance of going to an elite law school (specifically, Cornell).
The lunch is at the Statler, and it is very nicely done. The students from the hospitality school act as hosts/waiters/waitresses, and there is a buffet of delicious food available. A speaker for Cornell Public Interest gives a talk about their PI initiatives, which I don’t catch because the food is nice and I’m hungry. Sorry.
We sit in on a CivPro class with Professor Clermont. He teaches by discussing a topic (Res Judicata this time), presenting questions and having students use clickers to select answers. No one gets cold-called, but I feel that is probably atypical. He seems like a very good professor, but it probably would’ve easier to appreciate if I had any idea what Res Judicata was.
After the class there is a student panel, where five 2L students discussed their impressions of Cornell, the culture, jobs and life in Ithaca. All of the students said that Ithaca was probably the worst part about Cornell, but they still appreciated the fact that you could definitely find things to do if you were so inclined. They stressed small town =/= nothing to do. Not entirely sure how convincing that was. One of the students talked about his insane study patterns that involved him getting up 5:30 am everyday to make sure he was in the library by 6. He also had “power weekends.” Not sure if this is typical, but I sure hope not.
After this was a tour of Hughes Hall, I’m not entirely sure why I went since I had no interest in living there next year, and it just reaffirmed this for me. Convenience is definitely there, but between the dorm living and never leaving the law school, I just don’t think I could do it.
The day wrapped up at the Nines Restaurant, where Cornell sponsored free beer and pizza for students and prospectives. It was a really fun time, and the two 1ls I met there were really nice and chill. It was nice contrast to the intensity that seemed to be portrayed in the student panel. I ended up leaving around 7, but there was talks about going out later for the people that stayed later. Overall, the school was really impressive, and I’ll most likely end up there next year. Feel free to ask about anything!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”