Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

Chucky21

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Killingly wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:only 26 days left until the first deposit is due!

also, for those waiting for their financial aid notifications: seems like the 2014'ers heard around march 30th. just looked through their thread a little bit.

Thanks!

Called again today. She said within the next week. I'm holding them to it!

They are taking waaaaay too long

Do we get notified of aid my email or snail mail?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Chucky21 wrote:

Oh god, it had better be email. (And I'm pretty sure it is).

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Killingly wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

Haha I hope so. They should email and give us the money they save on stamps!

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Betharl wrote:Curious if any of you might be able to answer these questions or point me in the right direction...

1. Do any Chicago firms recruit at Cornell? I know Cornell is NYC focused and most Big Law jobs are in NYC as is, but wondering if Big Law in Chicago from Cornell is possible.
2. Anyone know what % of 2Ls landed firm jobs last summer, how about the summer before? There seems to be a solid correlation between these numbers and the NLJ250, so I'm trying to get a rough idea of what NLJ number we might be able to expect next year (or at least higher/lower etc).

2. Dean Derosa seems to indicate that at least 80% of the current 2Ls (class of '13) got an offer through OCI (or AJF, august jobs fair, in our case), and that almost every 2L participated. Just walking around and randomly talking to 2Ls, I've ran into one 2L so far that did not have a job lined up for the summer. Maybe the jobless 2Ls just don't go to class, but at least anecdotally and according to our deans, the 2Ls didn't have too much of a problem getting jobs, even people below median.

The picture is less rosy for 3Ls, but the deans seem to indicate that firms have started altering their recruitment policy last year and are now digging deeper into the class of fewer (t14?) schools.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm

clone22 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Curious if any of you might be able to answer these questions or point me in the right direction...

1. Do any Chicago firms recruit at Cornell? I know Cornell is NYC focused and most Big Law jobs are in NYC as is, but wondering if Big Law in Chicago from Cornell is possible.
2. Anyone know what % of 2Ls landed firm jobs last summer, how about the summer before? There seems to be a solid correlation between these numbers and the NLJ250, so I'm trying to get a rough idea of what NLJ number we might be able to expect next year (or at least higher/lower etc).

The picture is less rosy for 3Ls, but the deans seem to indicate that firms have started altering their recruitment policy last year and are now digging deeper into the class of fewer (t14?) schools.

Do you mean that firms are recruiting more people from a more select number of law schools?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Killingly wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

last year was snail mail notifications with email notifications only by personal request

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:12 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

last year was snail mail notifications with email notifications only by personal request

So....can we personally request it now?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

So....can we personally request it now?

eh last year was weird so i'm not sure. they were emailing scanned copies of the physical award letters, from what i gathered. i guess you could ask them to email you a scanned copy now or as soon as they have it available?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:25 pm

What I hate about snail mail is this....1. You really have no idea when you should receive the award (as opposed to a mass e-mail) 2. If you don't get something you wonder "is it possible it got lost in the mail?"...so you never really have closure until you send an e-mail/phone call to financial aid eliciting whether or not you will be receiving anything. Which is why they shoudl just e-mail to begin with!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
eh last year was weird so i'm not sure. they were emailing scanned copies of the physical award letters, from what i gathered. i guess you could ask them to email you a scanned copy now or as soon as they have it available?

I've been trying to do this. I think you have to get a hold of Patina for it work, and every time I've called she hasn't been in the office. I did e-mail her today, however.

sf88

Postby sf88 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:32 am

Got my financial aid notification today via email. (Unsolicited.) No scholarship money. Cornell's my first choice and numbers are 168/3.65. Do I have a shot at asking for merit aid? My parents' income is very high but they aren't contributing anything, and I don't have any other offers yet to negotiate with. I've heard of getting merit aid after starting with zero initially, but I dunno how much of a chance I have.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 am

sf88 wrote:Got my financial aid notification today via email. (Unsolicited.) No scholarship money. Cornell's my first choice and numbers are 168/3.65. Do I have a shot at asking for merit aid? My parents' income is very high but they aren't contributing anything, and I don't have any other offers yet to negotiate with. I've heard of getting merit aid after starting with zero initially, but I dunno how much of a chance I have.

Have you been accepted to any higher ranked schools?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

sf88 wrote:Got my financial aid notification today via email. (Unsolicited.) No scholarship money. Cornell's my first choice and numbers are 168/3.65. Do I have a shot at asking for merit aid? My parents' income is very high but they aren't contributing anything, and I don't have any other offers yet to negotiate with. I've heard of getting merit aid after starting with zero initially, but I dunno how much of a chance I have.

I would just wait for a little bit. Your LSAT is at the 75th and your GPA is around median ...I think you should get some sort of merit aid.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

Anyone else get the fin aid email? I didn't :(

sf88

Postby sf88 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:55 am

bigeast03 wrote:

No... I was pretty dumb about my applications since I thought I would have to reapply anyways. So I only applied to Cornell and a few t20 that gave me waivers.

msblaw89 wrote:

I would just wait for a little bit. Your LSAT is at the 75th and your GPA is around median ...I think you should get some sort of merit aid.

In the letter, they said that "unfortunately, we are not able to include law school grant." I took that to mean I didn't get any scholarship money. Do scholarship notifications come at a different time?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 am

sf88 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:

No... I was pretty dumb about my applications since I thought I would have to reapply anyways. So I only applied to Cornell and a few t20 that gave me waivers.

msblaw89 wrote:

In the letter, they said that "unfortunately, we are not able to include law school grant." I took that to mean I didn't get any scholarship money. Do scholarship notifications come at a different time?

A grant is very different from a merit scholarship....since a grant is dependent on your financial situation. Since you said your parents are well off, It doesn't surprise me that they didn't give you a grant. I don't think you are out of the running for a merit scholarship though.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:32 am

I just got the FinAid award e-mail! 25k/year!

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 am

msblaw89 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:

msblaw89 wrote:

A grant is very different from a merit scholarship....since a grant is dependent on your financial situation. Since you said your parents are well off, It doesn't surprise me that they didn't give you a grant. I don't think you are out of the running for a merit scholarship though.

I do not think this is correct. A merit scholarship IS an institutional grant (free money) and by receiving this it means you are out of the running for merit scholarships. I got the same email, also no grants. Oh well, expected.

WhatzReal

Postby WhatzReal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am

bigeast03 wrote:I just got the FinAid award e-mail! 25k/year!

Me too! :)

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am

got the email, and got a nice offer 8) .

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:19 am

WhatzReal wrote:

Congrats! Did the email imply or say it was need based?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:21 am

top30man wrote:
WhatzReal wrote:

Guys, I thought Cornell combines merit and need-based. So whatever your award is, that's it (unless you negotiate).

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 am

top30man wrote:
WhatzReal wrote:

The e-mail started with the scholarship amount, and the next paragraph discussed need-based/loans. So I'm assuming the scholarships are largely merit-based, but I could be wrong.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 am

Killingly wrote:
top30man wrote:
WhatzReal wrote:

Guys, I thought Cornell combines merit and need-based. So whatever your award is, that's it (unless you negotiate).

This is accurate.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

No scholarship... I am shocked at both 75ths...

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”