Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
20
33%
April 13th
16
26%
Both
2
3%
Neither
23
38%
 
Total votes: 61

dannyde7
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby dannyde7 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

orderofthings wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:Does anyone know what rent is in Ithaca?


1L here. It's all over the place, but I would say the median is somewhere between 630-900. Anywhere in collegetown is going to be 700+. The prices are kinda outrageous here because it's a captive market. If you do some legwork though you can get something nice that's not completely ridiculous. I'm paying around 600 next year for a very nice house. One of my friends is paying around 400 for what he said was a shithole. And one of my friends is paying 1100 for a studio right now. It really depends on how flexible you are with roommates, quality and location. Cornell will give you a housing packet at ASW that gives you nearby housing info which includes pricing. You can always do a quick craigslist search to give you an idea



Nice, thanks man. I've heard pricing can be at Manhattan levels, which freaked me out a little bit. I'd love to not pay city prices when I'm not in a city. How are you liking it so far?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Lincoln » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

2L here. I decided to live downtown due to the cost of living and because I don't want to be surrounded by drunk frat boys 4 days a week. It takes me 15 mins to get to class, there's a bus 2 blocks away, I can walk to the farmers' market and the commons, and I pay $500 for something that would be $800 in ctown. Not many law students do it, but I consider it to be totally worth it.

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby orderofthings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 pm

dannyde7 wrote:
orderofthings wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:Does anyone know what rent is in Ithaca?


1L here. It's all over the place, but I would say the median is somewhere between 630-900. Anywhere in collegetown is going to be 700+. The prices are kinda outrageous here because it's a captive market. If you do some legwork though you can get something nice that's not completely ridiculous. I'm paying around 600 next year for a very nice house. One of my friends is paying around 400 for what he said was a shithole. And one of my friends is paying 1100 for a studio right now. It really depends on how flexible you are with roommates, quality and location. Cornell will give you a housing packet at ASW that gives you nearby housing info which includes pricing. You can always do a quick craigslist search to give you an idea



Nice, thanks man. I've heard pricing can be at Manhattan levels, which freaked me out a little bit. I'd love to not pay city prices when I'm not in a city. How are you liking it so far?


I like it a lot so far. As far as living goes I live down in the commons. It's alright for what I pay. 1L housing probably isn't going to be ideal because you're not familiar with the area, renting companies, etc. 2L housing plays out a lot better once you know people and can start early with friends to get something more ideal.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby paulshortys10 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:35 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:19 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.


k.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.


Thanks haha. Is it worth it to join for resume booster?

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby orderofthings » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.


Thanks haha. Is it worth it to join for resume booster?


People *might* have different opinions on this but my sense is that the only extracurricular that actually matters in law school is law review then secondary journals then maybe mock trial/moot court whatever the fuck it's called (maybe). The clubs aren't really clubs. It's like beta club or nhs in high school except for these you don't actually do anything. Your grades are going to be what matters.

I know it may sound kinda harsh if you were really involved in undergrad, but that's just the way it is.

Edit - also your interviewers went to law school, they know the clubs don't do anything, and they know to join you write down your email address on a piece of paper...so I don't really think of it as a meaningful resume booster. I guess if you had a leadership position and could talk about the things you did in detail that make you stand out for whatever reason it might be helpful, but that would never overcome poor grades

minnie7
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby minnie7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 am

came home from vacation to find my Cornell acceptance letter!. I'm so happy right now.
my lsat and GPA are below 25%, so I truly feel blessed right now.
Is Cornell a school known to give a lot of money based on financial need or to URM's? its going to be difficult going into 200k+ debt

pisagua
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby pisagua » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 am

When did you apply and what was your last application status?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 pm

minnie7 wrote:came home from vacation to find my Cornell acceptance letter!. I'm so happy right now.
my lsat and GPA are below 25%, so I truly feel blessed right now.
Is Cornell a school known to give a lot of money based on financial need or to URM's? its going to be difficult going into 200k+ debt


Check out LSN

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Several URM's under both medians were able to get large merit schollies. A couple of them were under both 25ths as well. You have a shot, but I wouldn't expect a lot. Are you AA?

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm

What would a 168/3.7 merit? Anything?

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby sf88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:56 pm

lightswitch wrote:What would a 168/3.7 merit? Anything?


I hope that those numbers are scholarship worthy because I have similar numbers (168/3.65). Probably wishful thinking on my part, but good luck!

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Based on LSN you might get around $30k, if anything. One person with a 3.8/168 got $60k.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Based on LSN you might get around $30k, if anything. One person with a 3.8/168 got $60k.

Hoping for this treatment :-)

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby sf88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

I know that adcomms don't care about majors and minors while making acceptance decisions. Any chance they take that into account for scholarships?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

sf88 wrote:I know that adcomms don't care about majors and minors while making acceptance decisions. Any chance they take that into account for scholarships?


Doubtful. Merit money will be used to protect medians and attract URMs, primarily. I think given the decline in applicants this cycle Cornell will be trying very hard to protect its 168 median which is the lowest in the T14 besides Boalt. So I could see 168's get significant money (compared to previous cycles) if their GPA's are at or around median as well. Who knows though, it's all speculation

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I like the sound of this. Of course, I'd rather go to Duke but they haven't seen fit to admit me yet.

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby sf88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
sf88 wrote:I know that adcomms don't care about majors and minors while making acceptance decisions. Any chance they take that into account for scholarships?


Doubtful. Merit money will be used to protect medians and attract URMs, primarily. I think given the decline in applicants this cycle Cornell will be trying very hard to protect its 168 median which is the lowest in the T14 besides Boalt. So I could see 168's get significant money (compared to previous cycles) if their GPA's are at or around median as well. Who knows though, it's all speculation


I definitely like the sound of that. My GPA is a hair lower than the median (3.66, and I have a 3.65) but I'd love for my 168 to get me some money! I was hoping that my science background would help me out a bit, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I won't be surprised if I don't end up getting anything though.

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby lightswitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

sf88 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
sf88 wrote:I know that adcomms don't care about majors and minors while making acceptance decisions. Any chance they take that into account for scholarships?


Doubtful. Merit money will be used to protect medians and attract URMs, primarily. I think given the decline in applicants this cycle Cornell will be trying very hard to protect its 168 median which is the lowest in the T14 besides Boalt. So I could see 168's get significant money (compared to previous cycles) if their GPA's are at or around median as well. Who knows though, it's all speculation


I definitely like the sound of that. My GPA is a hair lower than the median (3.66, and I have a 3.65) but I'd love for my 168 to get me some money! I was hoping that my science background would help me out a bit, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I won't be surprised if I don't end up getting anything though.


Well, good luck to you! I hope we all get money b/c ~200000 of debt sounds rather unfun.

thatgirlthere
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby thatgirlthere » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.



False. Can’t speak for all, but some do things. And I’ve found the time to do things for my organizations.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:Based on LSN you might get around $30k, if anything. One person with a 3.8/168 got $60k.


:whistles:

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 am

thatgirlthere wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.



False. Can’t speak for all, but some do things. And I’ve found the time to do things for my organizations.


I have a strong guess who you are suddenly.

thatgirlthere
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby thatgirlthere » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
thatgirlthere wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Hey so the obvious question.... What's appropriate to wear to ASD? Will my Raider's jacket/Nike Cortez's pass? jk...


Also....Can anyone link me to a list of the clubs/societies/reviews ?


Wear whatever the fuck you wants. No one cares and you're already in.

And the clubs don't actually do shit, and you wouldn't have time for them even if they did.



False. Can’t speak for all, but some do things. And I’ve found the time to do things for my organizations.


I have a strong guess who you are suddenly.


Lol well then pm me, I’d love to see if you got it :)

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Based on LSN you might get around $30k, if anything. One person with a 3.8/168 got $60k.


:whistles:


Don't mean to be nosy, but if you don't mind me asking did you negotiate that up or was it an initial offer? Do you know if Cornell is responsive to negotiations?




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest