Cornell Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

cactuarX3

Silver

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Checking in today! Anyone have the link to the secret TLS @ CLS facebook group?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/340893992597026/

not sure if you'll be able to see it, you might need to PM TLS-user oldad on here so he can add you to the group. we might need to change the group from "secret" to "closed" now cause it seems like it's a hassle for new users to join.. :lol:
Yeah, won't work for me. I'll PM him. Thanks!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:
I ended up sitting in on a CivPro class, which was a three section class. The tour guide explained that you are broken up into 6 sections of about 30 students, and you then have 1 class with just your section, 2 classes with two sections and 1 class with three sections. Each section also gets an individual professor for Lawyering. The classrooms apparently don't have wireless, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But no big deal. Everyone in the class that I sat in on had a laptop, except for MAYBE five kids in the class of ~95. I never realized how loud almost a hundred people simultaneously typing is until then. The professor seemed to teach by teaching a rule, then going through different hypotheticals with multiple choice answers, and the students would use clickers to record their answers. No one got cold-called in the class that I saw, but my guide said that nearly every professor will.
Lol, that was Clermont's civil procedure class. It's not exactly typical of other classes, though not necesarily in a bad or good way.

The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities.
You won't have time for outdoorsy things.
I definitely think I would want to bring a car, though. It was definitely very rural and small towny, so take that as you will.
Yes.
So definitely bring a car? I was hoping to sell my POS Honda Civic for $300 and buy a new computer monitor for law school. Does everyone at CLS have a car?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:
I ended up sitting in on a CivPro class, which was a three section class. The tour guide explained that you are broken up into 6 sections of about 30 students, and you then have 1 class with just your section, 2 classes with two sections and 1 class with three sections. Each section also gets an individual professor for Lawyering. The classrooms apparently don't have wireless, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But no big deal. Everyone in the class that I sat in on had a laptop, except for MAYBE five kids in the class of ~95. I never realized how loud almost a hundred people simultaneously typing is until then. The professor seemed to teach by teaching a rule, then going through different hypotheticals with multiple choice answers, and the students would use clickers to record their answers. No one got cold-called in the class that I saw, but my guide said that nearly every professor will.
Lol, that was Clermont's civil procedure class. It's not exactly typical of other classes, though not necesarily in a bad or good way.

The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities.
You won't have time for outdoorsy things.
I definitely think I would want to bring a car, though. It was definitely very rural and small towny, so take that as you will.
Yes.
So definitely bring a car? I was hoping to sell my POS Honda Civic for $300 and buy a new computer monitor for law school. Does everyone at CLS have a car?
No, and you don't strictly need one. But it's definitely very nice to be able to leave Ithaca when you want, and to get grocery's on a whim.

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 pm

I have a girlfriend in Philly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty/cost in getting there? Would like to avoid buying a car if the only other thing I'll use it for is groceries.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm

dannyde7 wrote:I have a girlfriend in Philly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty/cost in getting there? Would like to avoid buying a car if the only other thing I'll use it for is groceries.
That is the exact reason I wish I had a car.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 am

Groceries? How far is it to bike?

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am

dannyde7 wrote:Groceries? How far is it to bike?
This seems like an awful idea.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 am

bigeast03 wrote:
This seems like an awful idea.

That's why I want a garage!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am

No, my girlfriend also lives in Philly.

Biking to groceries is very doable, but the hills are brutal. Better to walk or bus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:45 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

Biking to groceries is very doable, but the hills are brutal. Better to walk or bus.
Gotcha. I've been looking into Ithaca Car Share/Philly Car Share, but I'm not sure if it's possible to rent a car in Ithaca and leave it in Philly or vice versa. It looks like Greyhound isn't too bad at $65-80 one way, but that still seems to add 2 extra hours to the trip (I've heard a straight drive is only 3.5-4 hours). I might just buy a car, but then again I do have expensive taste...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 am

dannyde7 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Gotcha. I've been looking into Ithaca Car Share/Philly Car Share, but I'm not sure if it's possible to rent a car in Ithaca and leave it in Philly or vice versa. It looks like Greyhound isn't too bad at $65-80 one way, but that still seems to add 2 extra hours to the trip (I've heard a straight drive is only 3.5-4 hours). I might just buy a car, but then again I do have expensive taste...
Every time I've looked at Greyhound there haven't been any direct trips from Philly to Ithaca. Currently I have Ithaca car-share and can pick her up from Syracuse (she takes the Megabus there).

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi All! I can't wait for March 30th!

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but does anyone have recommendations for places to stay while visiting Ithaca? Is staying with a current student an option?

Thanks!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 pm

FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Hi All! I can't wait for March 30th!

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but does anyone have recommendations for places to stay while visiting Ithaca? Is staying with a current student an option?

Thanks!
How much you willing to pay?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

Thanks!
lol, is that in response to his first or second question? :mrgreen:

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:43 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Thanks!
lol, is that in response to his first or second question? :mrgreen:
Yes.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Just submitted my FAFSA...@ Arbiter.... did you get any merit scholarships?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Hypothetically, could I just go to Cornell, explain to them I am an interested applicant, and would like to sit in on a class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm

MTH2 wrote:Hypothetically, could I just go to Cornell, explain to them I am an interested applicant, and would like to sit in on a class?
yes.
msblaw89 wrote:Just submitted my FAFSA...@ Arbiter.... did you get any merit scholarships?
LSN.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:15 pm

When is the FAFSA due?

Also, are you still considered for merit if you dont get the Dean's scholarship. Way my essay is looking right now I have no chance lol. When do we hear about merit aid?

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:When is the FAFSA due?
I think your Financial Application is due by March 15 according to the site.
Mr. Somebody wrote:Also, are you still considered for merit if you dont get the Dean's scholarship. Way my essay is looking right now I have no chance lol. When do we hear about merit aid?
The Cornell Financial Aid site says that everyone is considered for institutional aid who submits their Financial Application by the deadline. We then are supposed to hear around mid-March, with dates varying from person to person.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

i'm not sure if you guys are dead set on cornell or not, but please keep in mind that a lot of other schools have an earlier financial aid deadline (i.e. March 2nd for Berkeley). don't let that March 15th deadline lure you into waiting to do fafsa/other stuff til the day before.

just thought this was worth posting since i almost did this myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:i'm not sure if you guys are dead set on cornell or not, but please keep in mind that a lot of other schools have an earlier financial aid deadline (i.e. March 2nd for Berkeley). don't let that March 15th deadline lure you into waiting to do fafsa/other stuff til the day before.

We need you at Cornell, horrorbusiness. Ignore Berkeley.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

oldad wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:i'm not sure if you guys are dead set on cornell or not, but please keep in mind that a lot of other schools have an earlier financial aid deadline (i.e. March 2nd for Berkeley). don't let that March 15th deadline lure you into waiting to do fafsa/other stuff til the day before.

haha, thanks man. :mrgreen: cornell's still the only school i'm IN at that i'm really considering. about 95% sure i'll end up there.

i'm waiting on NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, Michigan. which really means i'm waiting to see if i can squeeze a waitlist or two out of that list, which i would ride to the end. so yeah, haha, about 95% chance i'll be at cornell 8)

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:21 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
oldad wrote:

haha, thanks man. :mrgreen: cornell's still the only school i'm IN at that i'm really considering. about 95% sure i'll end up there.

i'm waiting on NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, Michigan. which really means i'm waiting to see if i can squeeze a waitlist or two out of that list, which i would ride to the end. so yeah, haha, about 95% chance i'll be at cornell 8)
I'm in the same position - probably looking at WL hell for the rest of my cycle. Which means I'd be paying sticker or close to it at those places if I get in. This has been edging me closer and closer to Cornell, because I've done some LSN research and they seem pretty generous, even if you don't have auto admit numbers. If I can get a sizeable scholarship from them I will probably go with that, I've changed my mind about LS and I don't think I'm comfortable with paying sticker anymore, even for CCN. Also, Cornell's biglaw placement seems comparable or better vs the rest of the bottom T14.

Cornell also has some of that lay prestige magic I've been looking for, haha

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
oldad wrote:

I'm in the same position - probably looking at WL hell for the rest of my cycle. Which means I'd be paying sticker or close to it at those places if I get in. This has been edging me closer and closer to Cornell, because I've done some LSN research and they seem pretty generous, even if you don't have auto admit numbers. If I can get a sizeable scholarship from them I will probably go with that, I've changed my mind about LS and I don't think I'm comfortable with paying sticker anymore, even for CCN. Also, Cornell's biglaw placement seems comparable or better vs the rest of the bottom T14.

Cornell also has some of that lay prestige magic I've been looking for, haha
yeah man, +1. are you in our TLS fb group?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”