Cornell Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW date will you attend?

March 30th
33%
April 13th
26%
Both
3%
Neither
38%

Total votes: 61

sea15

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2015

Postby sea15 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:17 pm

So I'm not in this thread because I don't think I'll be going to Cornell, but just wanted to say that Cornell definitely has the prettiest, nicest admissions info of any school by far. I'm withdrawing from some schools today and throwing away some admissions packets and I just couldn't throw theirs away! Other schools should follow suit.

avamango

Postby avamango » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 pm

msblaw89 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b50FTfp08Po

Check it out

Wow.

"Law school cute" --> lol

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

For some reason I thought gunner was a nerdy TLS term....

Anyways, is anyone else working on the dean's scholarship essay?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:For some reason I thought gunner was a nerdy TLS term....

Anyways, is anyone else working on the dean's scholarship essay?

I wish... but I'm not over both 75ths

CaliforniaGurl

Postby CaliforniaGurl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:21 pm

tagged! just got in this morning and i'm super excited! out of my admits now, trying to decide between GULC and Cornell. going to the first ASW. hopefully see you guys there!

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:35 pm

CaliforniaGurl wrote:tagged! just got in this morning and i'm super excited! out of my admits now, trying to decide between GULC and Cornell. going to the first ASW. hopefully see you guys there!

Congrats on the acceptance! That sounds like a tough choice.
Feel free to join our group on facebook too, TLS at CLS

avamango

Postby avamango » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
CaliforniaGurl wrote:tagged! just got in this morning and i'm super excited! out of my admits now, trying to decide between GULC and Cornell. going to the first ASW. hopefully see you guys there!

Congrats on the acceptance! That sounds like a tough choice.
Feel free to join our group on facebook too, TLS at CLS

Yeah definitely join the group!

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:53 pm

sea15 wrote:So I'm not in this thread because I don't think I'll be going to Cornell, but just wanted to say that Cornell definitely has the prettiest, nicest admissions info of any school by far. I'm withdrawing from some schools today and throwing away some admissions packets and I just couldn't throw theirs away! Other schools should follow suit.

Wow, what a compliment.

MrShneebly

Postby MrShneebly » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:22 pm

dannyde7 wrote:
sea15 wrote:So I'm not in this thread because I don't think I'll be going to Cornell, but just wanted to say that Cornell definitely has the prettiest, nicest admissions info of any school by far. I'm withdrawing from some schools today and throwing away some admissions packets and I just couldn't throw theirs away! Other schools should follow suit.

Wow, what a compliment.

LOL right?

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 pm

bigeast03 wrote:I just set up a tour/class sit-in for the end of this month. I will definitely report back after!

bigeast, did you go on your visit yet? if so, let's hear some thoughts!

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm

crabcakes wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:I just set up a tour/class sit-in for the end of this month. I will definitely report back after!

bigeast, did you go on your visit yet? if so, let's hear some thoughts!

I did actually! Overall, the tour was very nice and the school/area was beautiful, as expected. The campus is impressive, and the law school library deserves the comparisons it gets to Hogwarts. The tour guide let me know that they play the Harry Potter theme from the clock tower on snowy days?

I ended up sitting in on a CivPro class, which was a three section class. The tour guide explained that you are broken up into 6 sections of about 30 students, and you then have 1 class with just your section, 2 classes with two sections and 1 class with three sections. Each section also gets an individual professor for Lawyering. The classrooms apparently don't have wireless, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But no big deal. Everyone in the class that I sat in on had a laptop, except for MAYBE five kids in the class of ~95. I never realized how loud almost a hundred people simultaneously typing is until then. The professor seemed to teach by teaching a rule, then going through different hypotheticals with multiple choice answers, and the students would use clickers to record their answers. No one got cold-called in the class that I saw, but my guide said that nearly every professor will.

The library was beautiful! There were three floors, with the first floor containing private carrels for 2L/3L students. The second floor had computers and seemed like an open study area. These first two floors were where all of the book stacks were, there weren't any on the third floor. The third is the absolutely silent study floor. You aren't supposed to bring laptops, food, or use cellphones. The guide said that students have 24 hour access to the library, even during breaks if anyone should be so inclined.

I didn't check out Hughes, because frankly I wasn't super interested :lol: . Sorry. The undergrad campus is huge and some of the buildings are particularly impressive. The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities. Ithaca Commons was a really nice area, and had a very small town feel to it. I definitely think I would want to bring a car, though. It was definitely very rural and small towny, so take that as you will.

The admissions staff were all extremely nice. They gave me a folder of brochures for different local attractions and a list of apartments and prices in the area. They also gave me a gift card to College Town Bagels, which was delicious! Definitely a must try, particularly since it pretty close to campus. Overall, I got a really good feeling after the tour and I think so long as it's a decent option financially, I would love to be able to be there in the Fall!
Last edited by bigeast03 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avamango

Postby avamango » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Awesome review man. Thanks :D.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks bigeast! Now I'm super excited for ASW.... I want to see this hogwarts library

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

nice, thanks :mrgreen:

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

No wireless is probably a good thing. I know deep down if I had wifi access I would be goofing around on the net all through class. And that way, professors are less likely to ban laptops. Would rather have no wifi than no laptop.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 pm

wow, awesome write up big east! i'll be visiting in a few weeks, so i guess i better set up my tour/class visit. can i ask about how long this all took? half a day?

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I realized I forgot my camera after I had already been on the road for about 45 minutes. Whoops.

crabcakes wrote:wow, awesome write up big east! i'll be visiting in a few weeks, so i guess i better set up my tour/class visit. can i ask about how long this all took? half a day?

I got into Ithaca around 11, had lunch, then went on the tour at 12:30, had class at 1:30 and was "done" by 2:30. So if you're pressed for time, you can make it work in about two hours or so? I spent a lot of time just putzing around campus and Ithaca Commons to get a general feel for the area, and I would definitely recommend doing that if you've got the time. I ended up leaving from Ithaca around 5 or so, I think?

Mr. Somebody wrote:No wireless is probably a good thing. I know deep down if I had wifi access I would be goofing around on the net all through class. And that way, professors are less likely to ban laptops. Would rather have no wifi than no laptop.

Sure, it definitely removes the temptation, and I'm sure I'll be more productive because of it. It just feels a little patronizing I guess.

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 am

Is anyone visiting between now and ASW's? I'm probably going up Presidents Day Weekend since I can't make either ASW.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am

spiritniffler189 wrote:Is anyone visiting between now and ASW's? I'm probably going up Presidents Day Weekend since I can't make either ASW.

Did you get my PM about oldad? He created the group and can let you in :-)

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:Is anyone visiting between now and ASW's? I'm probably going up Presidents Day Weekend since I can't make either ASW.

Did you get my PM about oldad? He created the group and can let you in :-)

Thanks!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
I ended up sitting in on a CivPro class, which was a three section class. The tour guide explained that you are broken up into 6 sections of about 30 students, and you then have 1 class with just your section, 2 classes with two sections and 1 class with three sections. Each section also gets an individual professor for Lawyering. The classrooms apparently don't have wireless, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But no big deal. Everyone in the class that I sat in on had a laptop, except for MAYBE five kids in the class of ~95. I never realized how loud almost a hundred people simultaneously typing is until then. The professor seemed to teach by teaching a rule, then going through different hypotheticals with multiple choice answers, and the students would use clickers to record their answers. No one got cold-called in the class that I saw, but my guide said that nearly every professor will.

Lol, that was Clermont's civil procedure class. It's not exactly typical of other classes, though not necesarily in a bad or good way.

The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities.

You won't have time for outdoorsy things.

I definitely think I would want to bring a car, though. It was definitely very rural and small towny, so take that as you will.

Yes.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities.

Is it really that bad? I know Cornell gets a rap for being more, um, studious, but do you really have that little free time?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:The overall scene was amazing, and there seemed like there was a ton to do if you're interested in nature activities.

Is it really that bad? I know Cornell gets a rap for being more, um, studious, but do you really have that little free time?

I mean, I have plenty of free time when I'm being productive or reallllly slacking, but for outdoorsy things you need to be conveyed to the place, do the activity, then be conveyed back. That multiplies the time required. If someone wanted to make the time for it, they could continue an outdoors hobby pretty easily on the weekends. Just don't plan to go for nice hikes 3 times a week.

ETA: During 1L.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Checking in today! Anyone have the link to the secret TLS @ CLS facebook group?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Checking in today! Anyone have the link to the secret TLS @ CLS facebook group?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/340893992597026/

not sure if you'll be able to see it, you might need to PM TLS-user oldad on here so he can add you to the group. we might need to change the group from "secret" to "closed" now cause it seems like it's a hassle for new users to join.. :lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”