Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
me!0712

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby me!0712 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
forward wrote:For what it's worth, I picked Boalt over NYU (and a number of other schools). I visited NYU and found the school to be a bit stuffy and somewhat arrogant. I'm also not convinced that New York is actually livable. I haven't regretted the decision once.

Yep, I didn't even apply to NYU, just didn't seem like my scene. Berkeley on the other hand..

bigtexmex wrote:For those of y'all who have the official package/letter, when did y'all receive it in the mail? Was it about a week later or so?

Took a little longer than a week? It's worth the wait, very classy packet :)

me!0712 wrote:Hello all! :) I was admitted recently (last week)!! I am really excited since its the first and only school I have heard back from so far but thats probably because I didn't send my apps in until the end of December/beginning of January. I am superrrr excited for admitted students weekend! My family is planning to come with me and I am trying to plan out all of the details but I still haven't received any information besides the dates( April 12-15th). Does anybody know the itinerary of events (what time are we supposed to get in on the 12th? when is the last event on the 15th?) I know its a bit early, but Im just trying to plan and book everything to save money.

I'm assuming they'll be sending out another mailing about that soon?

Hope so. They also haven't sent me my student ID to log into the admitted students website.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Yeah, I still haven't gotten that info. The letter did say it should already have been emailed.

Waiting patiently for now, they must be stupidly busy at the moment.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 am

We especially hope you will be able to attend our Admitted Students Weekend on April 12-15, 2012. We will begin with with a reception honoring diverse admits on Thursday evening, April 12th.

The official Admit Day program will begin at 9:30 on Friday, April 13th (breakfast will be served beginning at 8:30). Substantive and social activities are planned, including a mock class. There will be presentations by students, faculty, and the Financial Aid Office. You will get a chance to meet members of student organizations and journals and to learn more about of our clinical and curricular concentration programs. Lunch will be provided. Attire for all events will be casual.

Additional events are being planned by various student organizations. These events are usually held Thursday evening, Friday evening, Saturday (day and evening), and occasionally on Sunday morning. In past years, student-organized event have included a hike in the Berkeley hills sponsored by the Ecology Law Quarterly, and a bbq picnic sponsored by the Coalition for Diversity, and kickball at a local park hosted by journals such as BTLJ. We will post details about these ancillary activities below as the student organizations let us know what they have planned. (Note: Check back frequently as these events are student-run and there may be "late-breaking" news, including location changes.)

A list of the events tentatively planned for this year follows. More events will be added in the coming months.

4/12 Reception & Light Dinner Honoring Diverse Admits

Bancroft Hotel, 2680 Bancroft Way

5:00-8:00 pm
4/13

Admit Day: Breakfast, Welcome, Mock Class, Lunch, Break-Out Sessions, Financial Aid Info, Student Activities Fair
Booth Auditorium, Boalt Hall, South Addition, and Heyman Terrace 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
All-Journal Reception 4:00-5:30 pm
La Raza and Native American Law Students Associations Dinner
Queer Caucus Dinner for LGBTQ and Allies
Law Students of African Descent (LSAD) Legacy Dinner
4/14 Berkeley Hills Hike
Coalition's Soul Food BBQ

SUMMARY: Thursday- optional but free food/alch. Friday - main event, everyone go. Saturday- looks super optional and seems sparse as of now, hopefully they add more stuff. Basically Friday is what matters most.

edit- apologies for format, I straight up copy pasted from the admitted students website.
edit 2- ignore all this, OP put it in original post
Last edited by smokeylarue on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 am

What?! I just updated the OP with this information! Typed it all out by hand!!! Haha oh well.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 am

LOL sorry dude didn't see that. Props to Real Madrid, everyone ignore my post.

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for that info!!!! Extremely helpful!! :D

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Yeah, I still haven't gotten that info. The letter did say it should already have been emailed.

Waiting patiently for now, they must be stupidly busy at the moment.

I believe you also need the ID number for the Supplemental Grant info.

Hope we get the email soon. I really want to keep moving everything forward.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah, I just tried to fill out supplemental finaid stuff today and realized I needed it.

Waiting a little less patiently now...common Berk!

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Still waiting...

On another note, how's the Mexican food in the Bay Area (small talk)? I've only been in the Bay Area once this past December, and the only Mexican food I had was from Taqueria La Cumbre from the Man v. Food episode (Mission District). It was good, but I'm sure there might be better places.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Still waiting...

On another note, how's the Mexican food in the Bay Area (small talk)? I've only been in the Bay Area once this past December, and the only Mexican food I had was from Taqueria La Cumbre from the Man v. Food episode (Mission District). It was good, but I'm sure there might be better places.

Tacqueria Cancun is the best!

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Aspen wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:Still waiting...

Tacqueria Cancun is the best!

This one in San Francisco?

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/g0VCHer2 ... 2OGEwUd5lA

Menu looks pretty good. And, they sell nachos for the gringos. :P

Man, I didn't get a great chance to enjoy cuisine in the Bay Area when I was there (unless you count food at Candlestick Park) because I was only there for two days for a game and a Metallica show. If the Mexican food is decent, I'll definitely be happy.

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Well I finally got an email today with my pin to create an account for the admitted student website!

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Off topic, but does anyone have any wisdom on how important the optional essay is for scholarships?

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am

I'm assuming optional essays would be the difference for scholarship apps?

Got my Berkeley ID email today! Now I can register for all the things.

I've actually never been to CA (hides) I'm excited for the ASW

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:35 am

larsoner wrote:Off topic, but does anyone have any wisdom on how important the optional essay is for scholarships?

If they give you the option to submit, it probably means that they value those submissions to allocate funding. Anything the scholarship committee values is probably a good idea to do. But hey, I guess it depends on how much money is worth to you. Just seems to me there's a lot more to gain than to lose.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Just received the package through the mail. Very nice and classy.

Now, for my ID number...

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm wandering around the website, is it true that finaid offers aren't made until May??

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm

For those of you that live around the Bay Area, how do the big 4 cell phone carriers compare in quality of coverage. My phone contract is ending soon and I don't want to enter a new 2 year agreement with a carrier with lousy service. Any help would be appreciated.

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm

forward wrote:For what it's worth, I picked Boalt over NYU (and a number of other schools). I visited NYU and found the school to be a bit stuffy and somewhat arrogant. I'm also not convinced that New York is actually livable. I haven't regretted the decision once.

Right now I'm debating between NYU and Berkeley (and possibly Michigan with $), so I might be sending you some questions about your decision as I do more research on the schools. Would you mind explaining in more detail why you ended up choosing Boalt over NYU?

poe

Postby poe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Genki wrote:For those of you that live around the Bay Area, how do the big 4 cell phone carriers compare in quality of coverage. My phone contract is ending soon and I don't want to enter a new 2 year agreement with a carrier with lousy service. Any help would be appreciated.

Almost everyone I know (including myself) has Verizon. It works great around here. I've had both AT&T and Sprint at different times, and the coverage was a mess - very spotty, lots of dropped calls and lost signals (but this was years ago, so maybe it's improved).

poe

Postby poe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Genki wrote:

Right now I'm debating between NYU and Berkeley (and possibly Michigan with $), so I might be sending you some questions about your decision as I do more research on the schools. Would you mind explaining in more detail why you ended up choosing Boalt over NYU?

This is relevant to my interests.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:I'm wandering around the website, is it true that finaid offers aren't made until May??

I thought it was around mid-April before ASW?

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm

bigtexmex wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:I'm wandering around the website, is it true that finaid offers aren't made until May??

I thought it was around mid-April before ASW?

I got my aid offer (merit) in late March last year.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Went back to fix the FAFSA and add my parents. Should get a good amount of need-based aid.

Still waiting for that ID Number, Berkeley...

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 am

Soo the Berkeley-Harvard Exchange program looks pretty cool!! Anybody know anything about that? :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”