Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Thu May 10, 2012 6:31 pm

poe wrote:So we may not know about matching scholarships until May 15? Looks like we'll be forced to make a decision before knowing for sure, since that's the day LSAC will report double deposits (assuming that the "tentative acceptance" does, in fact, count for those purposes).


There's a pretty good chance that even if you withdrew from Berkeley right now, they might not inform LSAC before the deadline, or LSAC might not update their records in time. In fact, like a week ago, I asked a rep at LSAC about this, and she said it's pretty much at the schools discretion when they decide to inform the LSAC about deposits and withdrawals and what not.

At the very least, I know that Berkeley doesn't care about double deposits for tentative acceptance students because I asked about it. There's also a pretty good chance that the other school isn't going to do much beyond give you a call asking about your intent to enroll. However, some schools do have an official policy about this, e.g., Columbia and NYU.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7663
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:
poe wrote:Anyone else put in an application for International House? It really seems like the most convenient option - right next to the law school, has its own library, meal plan included, etc. And it could be nice to be part of a community that isn't 100% law students, lol.

My only concern is that I'll be out-of-place as a non-international student. :|


I used to work there in dining services when I was at Berkeley for UG.

I hear the rooms aren't anything special, but you're right, it's convenient. Plus you get to meet and fraternize with a lot of nice people and they have activities and themed dinners all the time.

I'd say it's worth it if you can afford it.


Did you get any sense for how many of the residents there are non-international?


It's supposed to be 50% American and 50% foreign, but lately it's more of a 60/40 split in favor of foreigners. Mainly Europeans (TONS of Norwegians), and also a lot of Asians. There are always a tiny amount of Africans and Latin Americans scattered in there, but maybe about 10-15 total out of 600 people.

I would also highly recommend that unless you love drunk undegrads, don't live on the 3rd or the 4th floor. If you do love partying with drunk European undergrads with lots of money, go for it.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby poe » Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 am

worldtraveler wrote:
poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:
poe wrote:Anyone else put in an application for International House? It really seems like the most convenient option - right next to the law school, has its own library, meal plan included, etc. And it could be nice to be part of a community that isn't 100% law students, lol.

My only concern is that I'll be out-of-place as a non-international student. :|


I used to work there in dining services when I was at Berkeley for UG.

I hear the rooms aren't anything special, but you're right, it's convenient. Plus you get to meet and fraternize with a lot of nice people and they have activities and themed dinners all the time.

I'd say it's worth it if you can afford it.


Did you get any sense for how many of the residents there are non-international?


It's supposed to be 50% American and 50% foreign, but lately it's more of a 60/40 split in favor of foreigners. Mainly Europeans (TONS of Norwegians), and also a lot of Asians. There are always a tiny amount of Africans and Latin Americans scattered in there, but maybe about 10-15 total out of 600 people.

I would also highly recommend that unless you love drunk undegrads, don't live on the 3rd or the 4th floor. If you do love partying with drunk European undergrads with lots of money, go for it.


Do we have any say on where we live? I just remember the application asking whether we want a double, regular single, or premium single (I chose regular single). I'd imagine the singles would be on a different floor than the doubles (which is where I'm assuming most undergrads would live).

User avatar
Neatrends
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Neatrends » Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Any updates on initial/matching merit aid offers?

Is the range of stats someone needs for $$ the same as for peer schools?

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Neatrends wrote:Is the range of stats someone needs for $$ the same as for peer schools?


I suspect that Berkeley favors "diversity" for its matching scholarships.


(translation: they are giving all their money to URMs)

goodthings
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby goodthings » Sun May 13, 2012 1:09 pm

...
Last edited by goodthings on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby poe » Mon May 14, 2012 6:59 pm

So... still no news on matching scholarships? I guess they weren't kidding about taking right up until the 15th.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby catwomangirl » Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 pm

poe wrote:So... still no news on matching scholarships? I guess they weren't kidding about taking right up until the 15th.


THIS IS BLOWS



yeah....nothing here either.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby poe » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, today is the day.

...right?

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby mushybrain » Tue May 15, 2012 2:26 pm

I think it is time to click the definitely attending button. I don't know why this makes me nervous. Maybe it's this...

Image

But then again...

Image

source: Law School Transparency, class of 2010

kolokena
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby kolokena » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

anyone hear about scholarships yet?

Virgil777
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:35 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Virgil777 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 6:17 pm

poe wrote:Well, today is the day.

...right?


She said that May 15 was the deadline for the students that had already been offered a scholarship. Meaning that others have to wait until it expires and they offer the money out.

Perhaps they have to wait until the day is over before they can confirm that the money has been forfeited? Or perhaps they are just stringing us along, who knows.

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 7:52 pm

My matching scholarship app. just got rejected.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby poe » Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 pm

SaintFond wrote:My matching scholarship app. just got rejected.


Mine too.

Bye, Berkeley. And California. :(

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 pm

To Ithaca I go, it seems.

anonymous1213
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby anonymous1213 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I can't believe they did it at 5 PM. It is completely unfair to set up a system where we give them a "deadline" to hear back, and they wait until the last possible moment to reject the application. I'm so disappointed that they handled it this poorly.

Voldemort
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Voldemort » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm

poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:My matching scholarship app. just got rejected.


Mine too.

Bye, Berkeley. And California. :(



What did you guys submit as your matching offers? Did you already deposit at other schools?

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Voldemort wrote:
poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:My matching scholarship app. just got rejected.


Mine too.

Bye, Berkeley. And California. :(



What did you guys submit as your matching offers? Did you already deposit at other schools?


I had 75K at Cornell. Yes, I submitted my 2nd deposit to Cornell yesterday, actually.

I guess I have another ~2 wks to deliberate, but at this point I am pretty sure I will be going to Cornell.

Voldemort
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Voldemort » Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Just got my matching app rejected. Luckily, NYU offered me 45 today. I also deposited at another T14, so I may ride out a few more offers. Berkeley appears to be out though. I wish I were a URM :( - this feels unfair

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not that big a deal unless you had your heart set on CA or something.

Voldemort
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Voldemort » Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Definitely did have my heart set on California, so its a major blow. USC gave me 135, UCLA just increased my aid to 120, and I am scratching my head as to what I did wrong in regard to Berkeley. I am honestly torn now between USC and NYU.

SaintFond
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 15, 2012 8:25 pm

If your heart is really set on CA, I'd do USC or UCLA. You can get LA BigLaw from either of those schools, you just have to place in the top, say, 25%. And given that they gave you so much money, there's a pretty good chance that you will be able to place that well. I'd probably do UCLA at that amount of money, but that's mostly because I have this irrational contempt for USC (too fratty).

You probably really didn't do anything wrong. It's just that they probably don't have a lot of money, and the money they do have probably really does go to URMs.

poe
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby poe » Tue May 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I also had my heart set on California (and I really love Berkeley in particular), so this definitely hurts.

organic muskrat
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby organic muskrat » Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 am

USC can be superlatively generous with their award offers - and their tuition is not set to increase as the UC's continue to.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest