Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Redamon1

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:40 pm

DBishops wrote:Has anyone sent in their official transcript? I haven't. I really hope that isn't required to assess merit based aid!
Not required. I got my offer before sending in transcripts. They have your transcripts through LSAC already... The official transcripts are just a formality to register you at the school.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm

curiouscat wrote:Do we need to submit needs-based forms to be considered for merit-based aid?
No. I received my Dean's Fellowship award without sending anything financial aid related to them. After receiving the award, I started filling out the FAFSA/Sup. Application.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Geneva wrote:Haven't submitted need-based aid forms. Is it too late? I'm quite confused as to how Berkeley decides who demonstrates financial need. if i don't have a scholarship for berkeley to match and my numbers are around median, does that mean i'm probs out for merit aid? so far, $0 from berkeley
I got merit aid with not-so-stellar numbers. WE and public-interest credentials were probably an important factor in my case.

You got your merit aid offer already? I thought only need based grants had been released and merit was due out later in the month?

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:31 am

I ended up having to cancel my trip to ASW so you guys have to fill me in! Please. :)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:39 am

DBishops wrote:
DBishops wrote:Has anyone sent in their official transcript? I haven't. I really hope that isn't required to assess merit based aid!
Also. It seems that people posting about past years were able to submit multiple schools for matching scholarships? Did the rule that you can only submit one just come out this year?
If you are referring to my post earlier in the thread that suggested you might be able to update a matching application if you got new information from another school--which was quickly corrected by another as explicitly not allowed--it is likely my memory was faulty on that score, so I wouldn't chalk it up to a recent change in procedure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:28 pm

What are everyone's housing options? Anyone considering Manville/Ida? As afraid as I am to slip back into freshman-style dorm housing, there is something intriguing about living in I-House. It would obviously be super convenient and I know their food is great relative to usual dorm food. Has anyone heard any thoughts on it?

SkeeterV

New

Post by SkeeterV » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:35 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:What are everyone's housing options? Anyone considering Manville/Ida? As afraid as I am to slip back into freshman-style dorm housing, there is something intriguing about living in I-House. It would obviously be super convenient and I know their food is great relative to usual dorm food. Has anyone heard any thoughts on it?

I'm thinking about Manville/I-House. Hoping to check them out this weekend and talk to as many current students as possible about their housing situations. I've heard very unspecific bad things about Manville, mostly about being surrounded by super stressed people during finals.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 am

FryBreadPower wrote:What are everyone's housing options? Anyone considering Manville/Ida? As afraid as I am to slip back into freshman-style dorm housing, there is something intriguing about living in I-House. It would obviously be super convenient and I know their food is great relative to usual dorm food. Has anyone heard any thoughts on it?
I am considering it because living close to school is very important for me, at least for the 1st year. It is pretty pricey though. However, I am pretty sure that everything that close to Berk will be pricey. I will definitely try to talk to as many students as possible re housing options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Completely off the topic.

I just saw a weather forecast for ASW. Supposedly, it will be raining. Does anyone know how heavy rains are at this time of the season in Berkeley?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Neatrends wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
Geneva wrote:Haven't submitted need-based aid forms. Is it too late? I'm quite confused as to how Berkeley decides who demonstrates financial need. if i don't have a scholarship for berkeley to match and my numbers are around median, does that mean i'm probs out for merit aid? so far, $0 from berkeley
I got merit aid with not-so-stellar numbers. WE and public-interest credentials were probably an important factor in my case.

You got your merit aid offer already? I thought only need based grants had been released and merit was due out later in the month?
I was referring to the offer I received last year. Not sure about the timing of things this year.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Neatrends wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

I was referring to the offer I received last year. Not sure about the timing of things this year.
To answer the earlier question - I HAVE received my award. And it had to have been a merit aid offer (I hadn't filled out the FAFSA before receiving it).

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:36 pm

EvelynS wrote:Completely off the topic.

I just saw a weather forecast for ASW. Supposedly, it will be raining. Does anyone know how heavy rains are at this time of the season in Berkeley?
Its actually been unseasonably dry/warm this season. Usually the rains are bad in Feb/Mar and start to let up in April. But, due to the fact that the rains have been few and far between, who knows?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:40 pm

EvelynS wrote:
I am considering it because living close to school is very important for me, at least for the 1st year. It is pretty pricey though. However, I am pretty sure that everything that close to Berk will be pricey. I will definitely try to talk to as many students as possible re housing options.
After crunching the numbers, it doesn't seem like its that far off. You are looking at roughly $1500 per month over a 9 month semester to live in I-House (which includes Rent, Food, and Utilities). You are probably going to be spending $800-1000 in rent whichever way you cut it in an apartment (unless you can find a sweet situation with 3 or 4 other people). Plus, you have to worry about PG&E and Comcast (roughly $30-50 depending). And, you have food on top of that (thats also depending on whether you are a Safeway person or a Trader Joes/Berkeley Bowl kind of person). Overall, the apartment route is going to be cheaper, but it may not be significantly so.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm

For anyone looking for a roommate to get a 2 BR apartment, I'm always looking. Hit me up.

Also, for this Friday, a few of us will be going to Henry's around 8:30 p.m. for a couple of drinks. If interested, PM me to get a rough head count. It would be awesome to meet some of y'all personally and start getting acquainted with future Boalt classmates.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:34 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:

Its actually been unseasonably dry/warm this season. Usually the rains are bad in Feb/Mar and start to let up in April. But, due to the fact that the rains have been few and far between, who knows?
Sounds very promising :(

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 pm

EvelynS wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

It's not that dramatic. Just bring warm clothes/umbrellas! :) The bright side to the Bay Area weather is it's either foggy, sunny or rainy. No super long stretches of it just being super cloudy like you sometimes get in the midwest or parts of the East Coast. Besides, the rain is good. It makes the hills SUPER green and beautiful and then for those of us that are definitely going to be in California this fall we don't have to hear out of control broadcasts about there being a drought like in some years! :-D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Aspen wrote:
EvelynS wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

It's not that dramatic. Just bring warm clothes/umbrellas! :) The bright side to the Bay Area weather is it's either foggy, sunny or rainy. No super long stretches of it just being super cloudy like you sometimes get in the midwest or parts of the East Coast. Besides, the rain is good. It makes the hills SUPER green and beautiful and then for those of us that are definitely going to be in California this fall we don't have to hear out of control broadcasts about there being a drought like in some years! :-D
I look forward to the rain. I'm tired of 110+ degree heat in the summer and 8 inches of rain a year out here in West Texas.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Aspen wrote:
EvelynS wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

I am from the East Coast. When I see 4 days of rain in a row, I imagine our NY long heavy rains with disruptions in MTA :D Fortunately, I have plenty of warm clothes and umbrellas :lol:

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 pm

According to weather.com, the average rainfall for the entire month of April is 1.66 inches-- but you can't judge your wardrobe by the averages. Even so, you can get that in a single day back east so that should put things into a little perspective for you.

The local TV meteorologist was expecting less than an inch in the East Bay over the next 2-3 days, and some models are starting to show that the bulk of the rain will clear out on Thursday.

One other note: The high temp for the day is forecast to be below the average high in Dec/Jan. So even though you may not get the typical "Dean Tom crystal-clear day" for ASW-- keep in mind that this is what it's like in the coldest months on average. 8)

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Rotor wrote:

According to weather.com, the average rainfall for the entire month of April is 1.66 inches-- but you can't judge your wardrobe by the averages. Even so, you can get that in a single day back east so that should put things into a little perspective for you.

The local TV meteorologist was expecting less than an inch in the East Bay over the next 2-3 days, and some models are starting to show that the bulk of the rain will clear out on Thursday.

One other note: The high temp for the day is forecast to be below the average high in Dec/Jan. So even though you may not get the typical "Dean Tom crystal-clear day" for ASW-- keep in mind that this is what it's like in the coldest months on average. 8)
Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nyankitty

New

Post by nyankitty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Hey guys! I'm coming to ASW from the east coast, and I'm by myself so that'll be a bit boring after Friday. It'd be great to hear from some current students or any of you who are bay area locals on what some good ways to spend my Saturday and Sunday are, or if any of you are are in the same boat PM me and maybe we can get together to do some exploring on our own.

Can't wait to meet all of you!

(I'm going to x-post to the ask-a-berkeley-student thread to see if anyone's got some suggestions for must-see stuff in the SF/bay area over there as well)

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 pm

nyankitty wrote:Hey guys! I'm coming to ASW from the east coast, and I'm by myself so that'll be a bit boring after Friday. It'd be great to hear from some current students or any of you who are bay area locals on what some good ways to spend my Saturday and Sunday are, or if any of you are are in the same boat PM me and maybe we can get together to do some exploring on our own.

(I'm going to x-post to the ask-a-berkeley-student thread to see if anyone's got some suggestions for must-see stuff in the SF/bay area over there as well)
I think that some students organizations have BBQs, hiking, and dinners on Saturday.

I am also from the East Coast. I was planning to walk around the area - to familiarize myself - on Saturday because my flight back is at 10 pm.

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm

EvelynS wrote:
nyankitty wrote:Hey guys! I'm coming to ASW from the east coast, and I'm by myself so that'll be a bit boring after Friday. It'd be great to hear from some current students or any of you who are bay area locals on what some good ways to spend my Saturday and Sunday are, or if any of you are are in the same boat PM me and maybe we can get together to do some exploring on our own.

I think that some students organizations have BBQs, hiking, and dinners on Saturday.

I am also from the East Coast. I was planning to walk around the area - to familiarize myself - on Saturday because my flight back is at 10 pm.
We organized a night out at a local "must try" bar in berkeley for Friday on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/176573315788732/

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:46 pm

mcenteno wrote:
EvelynS wrote:

We organized a night out at a local "must try" bar in berkeley for Friday on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/176573315788732/
I don't have a FB account, but I am definitely up for "must try" bar on Friday. Could you please PM the details?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”