Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
EvelynS

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby EvelynS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 am

Geneva wrote:
canon wrote:Wanted to say congratufreakinglations to all the new admits. Please come to ASW! Best way to see why Boalt has its reputation as one of the more relaxed/chill law schools in the T14.

I met some admits in the past few weeks and really hope you attend!

Thank you! Stoked to be in. Just have to figure out how to access the admitted students site!

You will receive the instructions via email around 2-3 weeks after the acceptance email. It could be faster now because of the ASW coming up in April.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

Has anyone's Statement of Legal Residency (SLR) been processed yet? How long does it usually take?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Any current students have feedback on the list of optional reading material posted on admitted students site? I'm looking for some reading material as is, legal or otherwise, and would be curious if there is anything ya'll would recommend. I've heard good things about "Getting to Maybe" and "1L of a Ride," but was planning on reading those during the summer.

Dato

Postby Dato » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 pm

So even though I have offers from Michigan and Duke, I am holding out to submit for Matching until I hear back from Cornell, Penn and NYU... is this a good strategy? Or should I just go ahead and submit my Michigan offer?

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I went ahead and submitted my Michigan offer - it seems like most people have already submitted matching applications, and I don't want the money to get used up.

Everyone see the new blog post? Apparently grants won't be up until early April, and scholarships will take even longer. Not to thrilled, I've got deadlines coming up...

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Dato wrote:So even though I have offers from Michigan and Duke, I am holding out to submit for Matching until I hear back from Cornell, Penn and NYU... is this a good strategy? Or should I just go ahead and submit my Michigan offer?

Call the FinAid office. I think you can submit one, and if a better offer comes in you can update the application.

SkeeterV

Postby SkeeterV » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:I went ahead and submitted my Michigan offer - it seems like most people have already submitted matching applications, and I don't want the money to get used up.

Everyone see the new blog post? Apparently grants won't be up until early April, and scholarships will take even longer. Not to thrilled, I've got deadlines coming up...

Anyone know if we'll be able to see them through the admitted student website?

poe

Postby poe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:I went ahead and submitted my Michigan offer - it seems like most people have already submitted matching applications, and I don't want the money to get used up.

Very disappointing news. I was hoping to wait until receiving their initial offer before negotiating. Looks like I'll just have to go ahead and send it off now. Hopefully, I can get a deadline extension from the other schools.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 am

Rotor wrote:Call the FinAid office. I think you can submit one, and if a better offer comes in you can update the application.

They're pretty clear that you can only submit the matching scholarship app once

SkeeterV wrote:
Anyone know if we'll be able to see them through the admitted student website?

Apparently they'll be visible in bearfacts

https://bearfacts.berkeley.edu/bearfacts/

oakinwind

Postby oakinwind » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 am

Elliott, in bearfacts ->financial aid-> status, we should look at 2012-2013 year, right? nothing there in my file, is this normal?

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:50 pm

poe wrote:

Very disappointing news. I was hoping to wait until receiving their initial offer before negotiating. Looks like I'll just have to go ahead and send it off now. Hopefully, I can get a deadline extension from the other schools.

The blog says that the financial aid info on bearfacts is only for grants and loans, so just need based stuff. They also said scholarship info (I'm assuming this covers merit-based aid like the matching scholarships) will be emailed to us, and that could possibly be at an earlier date? Otherwise, there was no point in asking us for our response deadline in the matching scholarship app right?

poe

Postby poe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:05 pm

So did everyone who filled out the matching scholarship form do the additional statement? How long do you think it should be?

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm

poe wrote:So did everyone who filled out the matching scholarship form do the additional statement? How long do you think it should be?

mine was basically a restatement of my why berkeley essay lol i kept it to a page double spaced

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 pm

poe wrote:So did everyone who filled out the matching scholarship form do the additional statement? How long do you think it should be?

I didn't, maybe I should have. I want to go to Berkeley because my fiance got into Stanford (for engineering) and I would rather not live apart, but I didn't think that was good essay material.

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Just sent in mine. I know it says not to, but who here decided to simply send in the biggest offer they got from schools listed as eligible for matching scholarships? In this case, do you think lower ranked schools of the T14 are less likely to be matched?

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 pm

oakinwind wrote:Elliott, in bearfacts ->financial aid-> status, we should look at 2012-2013 year, right? nothing there in my file, is this normal?

I'm assuming so, there shouldn't be anything there until April when they release finaid, no?

Yeah, I never wrote a why Berkeley so I figured I should. About a page.

DBishops wrote:Just sent in mine. I know it says not to, but who here decided to simply send in the biggest offer they got from schools listed as eligible for matching scholarships? In this case, do you think lower ranked schools of the T14 are less likely to be matched?

I'm assuming it balances out, since lower ranked schools will likely offer you a bigger scholarship, but won't be as competitive.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 am

Will Berkeley match need-based aid from Stanford?

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Looks like the BearFacts website is up. Have they offered scholarships? I have no gift aid, kind of sucks.

SkeeterV

Postby SkeeterV » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:08 pm

DBishops wrote:Looks like the BearFacts website is up. Have they offered scholarships? I have no gift aid, kind of sucks.

Same question here. Hopefully it's just preliminary?

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Really hope so. I expected to get at least a little considering the matching scholarship I submitted.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Vote for Berkeley. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/atl-marc ... ool-final/

This is a very important vote. If any of you are in the Boalt 2015 Facebook group, post the link there as well.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 pm

SkeeterV wrote:
DBishops wrote:Looks like the BearFacts website is up. Have they offered scholarships? I have no gift aid, kind of sucks.

It might be preliminary. I have grant information and loans. Scholarships are not out yet.

poe

Postby poe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:01 pm

bigtexmex wrote:
SkeeterV wrote:

It might be preliminary. I have grant information and loans. Scholarships are not out yet.

Wait - they've given out grants already?

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 pm

poe wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:
SkeeterV wrote:

Mine is up. Is your Bear Facts updated?

poe

Postby poe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:16 pm

bigtexmex wrote:
poe wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:
SkeeterV wrote:

Mine is up. Is your Bear Facts updated?

Yeah, and apparently I got nothing... I thought they weren't going to start giving out grants until early April.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”