Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Redamon1

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 am

Hi all - I realize I'm on the early side but I began looking for housing for the fall and wanted to encourage peeps on this thread to share information gleaned through forum and other searches. After searching this forum thoroughly for advice on Berkeley housing, I have a few questions for 0Ls or current students reading this:

* Can any current students recommend their 1BR or studio close to the law school (15-20 min walk max)? If you're planning on moving out and liked your place, I would be interested in speaking with you about taking over your lease / apartment. Please PM; I'll make this super easy for you and would love to treat you to drinks or food when we meet next year as a token of my appreciation.

* I'm based on the East Coast and am wondering what options exist to seal the deal early, besides on-campus housing. Specifically, can you recommend apartment complexes (studio or 1BR) that are quiet and close to campus that I could look into and deal with remotely? The only name that popped up in my searches was Cambridge Apartments (@ Durant and Telegraph) but I don't know if they're any good. I'm willing to pay more for convenience and quality. A furnished apartment would ideal.

* When is a good time to search for housing on-site? Basically, I'm wondering if first or second week of August is really a big competitive mess for few worthwhile options off campus. I'm also wondering when is too early to start looking. I read on one of the posts that looking before the first week of July means you can't find a lease that begins on August 1st or later. Has that been your experience as well?

* I know views on Manville (on-campus housing) diverge on TLS, but even thought it's small, if it's quiet, clean and convenient, I might give it a shot for the first year. I know the studios don't have an oven or full-sized fridge, but I could work with that. Anyone know if some units are better/bigger/quieter than others in the building?

Thanks a ton!

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello folks, super interested in Berkeley, wondering how long it has taken people to get the admitted students website info?

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Take Two wrote:Hello folks, super interested in Berkeley, wondering how long it has taken people to get the admitted students website info?

Got mine approx. 1 week after getting in by email. But I've seen elsewhere on TLS some admitted students report a greater lag. I certainly understand the itch to check out the website. If there's something you need quickly, I'd be happy to look it up and send it to you.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Take Two wrote:Hello folks, super interested in Berkeley, wondering how long it has taken people to get the admitted students website info?

Got mine approx. 1 week after getting in by email. But I've seen elsewhere on TLS some admitted students report a greater lag. I certainly understand the itch to check out the website. If there's something you need quickly, I'd be happy to look it up and send it to you.

I appreciate it! But no I dont think there is anything I NEED, Im just excited to check it out!

poe

Postby poe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Anyone else unable to complete the Statement of Legal Residence? The ASW redirects me to BearFacts, which then gives me an error:

"We have encountered an error in determining your SLR status. Please contact the Office of the Registrar.

SLR dates not available for requested term. "

Is it just too early to fill this out?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 pm

poe wrote:Anyone else unable to complete the Statement of Legal Residence? The ASW redirects me to BearFacts, which then gives me an error:

"We have encountered an error in determining your SLR status. Please contact the Office of the Registrar.

SLR dates not available for requested term. "

Is it just too early to fill this out?

Yes.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:55 am

Does Berkeley do student hosting for their ASW or are we just going to have to fend for ourselves?

forward

Postby forward » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Congrats, all. I'm a 1L at Boalt. Happy to answer questions.

forward

Postby forward » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Does Berkeley do student hosting for their ASW or are we just going to have to fend for ourselves?

Many student groups host admits. More information should come out about this in the next month or two. You might get in touch with admissions to see if they can put you in touch with a group of interest to you.

forward

Postby forward » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Redamon1 wrote:Hi all - I realize I'm on the early side but I began looking for housing for the fall and wanted to encourage peeps on this thread to share information gleaned through forum and other searches. After searching this forum thoroughly for advice on Berkeley housing, I have a few questions for 0Ls or current students reading this:

* Can any current students recommend their 1BR or studio close to the law school (15-20 min walk max)? If you're planning on moving out and liked your place, I would be interested in speaking with you about taking over your lease / apartment. Please PM; I'll make this super easy for you and would love to treat you to drinks or food when we meet next year as a token of my appreciation.

North Berkeley Properties has a building in downtown Berkeley, on Shattuck, that has studios and 1 BRs. I've had good experiences with them, but don't live in that building. That's about a 10-15 minute walk through campus to Boalt (or a quick bus ride).

* I'm based on the East Coast and am wondering what options exist to seal the deal early, besides on-campus housing. Specifically, can you recommend apartment complexes (studio or 1BR) that are quiet and close to campus that I could look into and deal with remotely? The only name that popped up in my searches was Cambridge Apartments (@ Durant and Telegraph) but I don't know if they're any good. I'm willing to pay more for convenience and quality. A furnished apartment would ideal.

See above.

* When is a good time to search for housing on-site? Basically, I'm wondering if first or second week of August is really a big competitive mess for few worthwhile options off campus. I'm also wondering when is too early to start looking. I read on one of the posts that looking before the first week of July means you can't find a lease that begins on August 1st or later. Has that been your experience as well?

Generally, the market here operates on an in-person, month-before basis. The management companies with websites provide info to varying degrees, but I think it is rare to find much online. I believe all year leases automatically convert to monthly leases after one year, which makes it hard for the companies to know far in advance when units will be vacant. If you're concerned about furnishings and proximity, you might prefer one of the graduate student houses (I-House, Jackson, Manville). Some of the more expensive buildings also come furnished, but they're pricey. You can find many of those in google searches.

* I know views on Manville (on-campus housing) diverge on TLS, but even thought it's small, if it's quiet, clean and convenient, I might give it a shot for the first year. I know the studios don't have an oven or full-sized fridge, but I could work with that. Anyone know if some units are better/bigger/quieter than others in the building?

Don't know. Sorry.

Thanks a ton!

joan_mgl

Postby joan_mgl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 am

Last edited by joan_mgl on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks, Forward. Are you allowed to bike across the Berkeley campus? That would make housing north of campus that much closer to the school...

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Unless USC or UCLA offer me substantial scholarships, Berkeley is too hard to pass up. So, I will probably end up at Berkeley. In as of about an hour ago.

I knew the Niners success (even with the Kyle Williams's f'ups yesterday that cost the team) was an indicator of a future at Berkeley. The gods want me in the Bay Area.

Anyone going on the 12-15 of April? I'll try to get the days off from work, but don't know if I can.
Last edited by bigtexmex on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Generally, yes. A few routes are designated "walk zones" from 8a-6p M-F and require riders to dismount. That said, there's a better way to get to Boalt from the area I imagine you're contemplating, so it shouldn't be an issue.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

How expensive are apartments in the area? I'm wondering if I should start looking around for a roommate or if I could wing it with a small studio or 1 bedroom apartment.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Unless USC or UCLA offer me substantial scholarships, Berkeley is too hard to pass up. So, I will probably end up at Berkeley. In as of about an hour ago.

I knew the Niners success (even with the Kyle Williams's f'ups yesterday that cost the team) was an indicator of a future at Berkeley. The gods want me in the Bay Area.

Anyone going on the 12-15 of April? I'll try to get the days off from work, but don't know if I can.

Haha, I took yesterday's game as the Gods telling me I should choose NYU over Berkeley. Still torn....

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:Unless USC or UCLA offer me substantial scholarships, Berkeley is too hard to pass up. So, I will probably end up at Berkeley. In as of about an hour ago.

Haha, I took yesterday's game as the Gods telling me I should choose NYU over Berkeley. Still torn....

Reasons you should choose Berkeley over NYU:

Lake Tahoe:

--ImageRemoved--

Napa Valley:

Point Reyes:

And then there's this city across the bay called San Francisco. Dunno if you've heard of it? :lol:

P.S. The grading system ain't bad, either!

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Hey guys!

Just got my admissions packet, super stoked! I'm deciding between Berkeley and Michigan right now, still waiting to hear about finances.

Between the location, student body, and grading system, Berkeley seems like an incredible place to be.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

For what it's worth, I picked Boalt over NYU (and a number of other schools). I visited NYU and found the school to be a bit stuffy and somewhat arrogant. I'm also not convinced that New York is actually livable. I haven't regretted the decision once.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:23 am

California definitely appeals to me more in the long term, but my #1 factor is going to be job prospects for BigLaw. I think the T6 obsession (whether valid or not) and mentality of these forums is making me think I'll have a better shot of BigLaw at NYU over Berkeley (the next employment statistics released by both schools will weigh extremely heavily) . I'll definitely visit both for ASW. I wish the Niners won!!

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 pm

smokeylarue wrote:

Man, I'm a long suffering Niners fan in Dallas Cowboys' country. I cheer for the Texans in the AFC just because they are not the Cowboys.

When I went to San Francisco in December and attended my first ever NFL game (never been to a pro football game, only college games at UT during undergrad), I felt like the attendance to the game and the success of the Niners were both a sign that Berkeley would admit me.

poe

Postby poe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

smokeylarue wrote:

Not gonna lie, that thought crossed my mind as well, lol. I guess we have the exact same decision to make.

Regarding NYC vs the Bay Area - I agree with the people saying the latter is awesome. Problem is, I've lived there my whole life! I'm thinking it might be nice to live elsewhere for a few years. But we'll see. I may find NYC "unlivable" after visiting.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm

For those of y'all who have the official package/letter, when did y'all receive it in the mail? Was it about a week later or so?

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello all! :) I was admitted recently (last week)!! I am really excited since its the first and only school I have heard back from so far but thats probably because I didn't send my apps in until the end of December/beginning of January. I am superrrr excited for admitted students weekend! My family is planning to come with me and I am trying to plan out all of the details but I still haven't received any information besides the dates( April 12-15th). Does anybody know the itinerary of events (what time are we supposed to get in on the 12th? when is the last event on the 15th?) I know its a bit early, but Im just trying to plan and book everything to save money.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 pm

forward wrote:For what it's worth, I picked Boalt over NYU (and a number of other schools). I visited NYU and found the school to be a bit stuffy and somewhat arrogant. I'm also not convinced that New York is actually livable. I haven't regretted the decision once.

Yep, I didn't even apply to NYU, just didn't seem like my scene. Berkeley on the other hand..

bigtexmex wrote:For those of y'all who have the official package/letter, when did y'all receive it in the mail? Was it about a week later or so?

Took a little longer than a week? It's worth the wait, very classy packet :)

me!0712 wrote:Hello all! :) I was admitted recently (last week)!! I am really excited since its the first and only school I have heard back from so far but thats probably because I didn't send my apps in until the end of December/beginning of January. I am superrrr excited for admitted students weekend! My family is planning to come with me and I am trying to plan out all of the details but I still haven't received any information besides the dates( April 12-15th). Does anybody know the itinerary of events (what time are we supposed to get in on the 12th? when is the last event on the 15th?) I know its a bit early, but Im just trying to plan and book everything to save money.

I'm assuming they'll be sending out another mailing about that soon?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”