Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
williams55

New

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by williams55 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 am

Just wanted to say hello new Boalties. Can't wait to meet some of you at ASW and next year!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:27 am

williams55 wrote:Just wanted to say hello new Boalties. Can't wait to meet some of you at ASW and next year!
Thanks for the welcome! I feel the same way:-)

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:51 pm

How important is it to visit Berkeley for the scheduled ASW? Is it ill advised to visit another weekend instead or to come for half of the weekend? I have already committed to visiting UCLA for ASW the SAME WEEKEND before I got into Berkeley. I don't see how I can back out at this point, but am thinking I could possibly rent a car and somehow take a week to visit both schools...Is this a ridiculous idea? I have never been to CA before except for a day, so have no idea how crazy this plan is.

I would rather go to Berkeley than UCLA, but UCLA makes more sense financially (with no T14 scholarships, I doubt Berkeley will give me much aid). Decisions, decisions. All feedback is greatly appreciated:)

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Geneva wrote:How important is it to visit Berkeley for the scheduled ASW? Is it ill advised to visit another weekend instead or to come for half of the weekend? I have already committed to visiting UCLA for ASW the SAME WEEKEND before I got into Berkeley. I don't see how I can back out at this point, but am thinking I could possibly rent a car and somehow take a week to visit both schools...Is this a ridiculous idea? I have never been to CA before except for a day, so have no idea how crazy this plan is.

I would rather go to Berkeley than UCLA, but UCLA makes more sense financially (with no T14 scholarships, I doubt Berkeley will give me much aid). Decisions, decisions. All feedback is greatly appreciated:)
Umm...a LITTLE crazy haha but I'd probably try to do the same thing if I was in your position :wink: I live about 30 min from the school and I'm an OL so no I've never been to ASW BUT I did have an individual visit last week bc I wanted to talk to financial aid and I'd say if you can do that, go for it. I scheduled my indiv visit online and I got to meet with a current student, get a tour, sit in on a class, get a free lunch, talk to other students, met with Dean Tom and financial aid. It was extremely helpful and Idk what your schedule is but if you can do that maybe the Monday after UCLA's ASW I say go for it. I went to UCLA for undergrad and have made that drive many times and you can do it in about 5.5 hours. Again, idk your schedule or your finances so this may be a moot point but hope this helps regardless!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 pm

agalang wrote:
Geneva wrote:How important is it to visit Berkeley for the scheduled ASW? Is it ill advised to visit another weekend instead or to come for half of the weekend? I have already committed to visiting UCLA for ASW the SAME WEEKEND before I got into Berkeley. I don't see how I can back out at this point, but am thinking I could possibly rent a car and somehow take a week to visit both schools...Is this a ridiculous idea? I have never been to CA before except for a day, so have no idea how crazy this plan is.

Umm...a LITTLE crazy haha but I'd probably try to do the same thing if I was in your position :wink: I live about 30 min from the school and I'm an OL so no I've never been to ASW BUT I did have an individual visit last week bc I wanted to talk to financial aid and I'd say if you can do that, go for it. I scheduled my indiv visit online and I got to meet with a current student, get a tour, sit in on a class, get a free lunch, talk to other students, met with Dean Tom and financial aid. It was extremely helpful and Idk what your schedule is but if you can do that maybe the Monday after UCLA's ASW I say go for it. I went to UCLA for undergrad and have made that drive many times and you can do it in about 5.5 hours. Again, idk your schedule or your finances so this may be a moot point but hope this helps regardless!
Thanks this is super helpful! How simple is the drive direction-wise? I tend to get lost...Thank goodness for GPS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodthings

New

Post by goodthings » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Last edited by goodthings on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Geneva wrote:
agalang wrote:

Thanks this is super helpful! How simple is the drive direction-wise? I tend to get lost...Thank goodness for GPS.
Lol someone else already said it but the drive could not get any easier. From UCLA get on 405 North freeway (about a mile from the campus) and 405 N turns into 5 North. Probably going to be the most boring drive of your life since it's just a straight road through cow-land. If you have any other questions about either campuses or areas feel free to PM me. I'm going to be a Boaltie but I'm a true Bruin at heart haha

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 pm

agalang wrote:
Geneva wrote:
agalang wrote:

Lol someone else already said it but the drive could not get any easier. From UCLA get on 405 North freeway (about a mile from the campus) and 405 N turns into 5 North. Probably going to be the most boring drive of your life since it's just a straight road through cow-land. If you have any other questions about either campuses or areas feel free to PM me. I'm going to be a Boaltie but I'm a true Bruin at heart haha
It's way less boring than most drives on the East Coast though! :-D I mean the Grapevine was super exciting to me the first time that I drove on it. Also, parts of the Central Valley aren't THAT bad, especially if you've never been before. The mountains look pretty cool on both sides. The 580 stretch is nice too. The windmills, the two mountain passes, etc. I think after the 5th time I went it started getting boring but if you've never been before it's something you definitely have to experience!! :-)

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:19 am

Aspen wrote: From UCLA get on 405 North freeway (about a mile from the campus) and 405 N turns into 5 North. Probably going to be the most boring drive of your life since it's just a straight road through cow-land. If you have any other questions about either campuses or areas feel free to PM me. I'm going to be a Boaltie but I'm a true Bruin at heart haha
It's way less boring than most drives on the East Coast though! :-D I mean the Grapevine was super exciting to me the first time that I drove on it. Also, parts of the Central Valley aren't THAT bad, especially if you've never been before. The mountains look pretty cool on both sides. The 580 stretch is nice too. The windmills, the two mountain passes, etc. I think after the 5th time I went it started getting boring but if you've never been before it's something you definitely have to experience!! :-)[/quote]

Thanks so much!!! I can't wait to meet you all next month:) Ridiculously excited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am

Aspen wrote:
agalang wrote:
Geneva wrote:
agalang wrote: Lol someone else already said it but the drive could not get any easier. From UCLA get on 405 North freeway (about a mile from the campus) and 405 N turns into 5 North. Probably going to be the most boring drive of your life since it's just a straight road through cow-land. If you have any other questions about either campuses or areas feel free to PM me. I'm going to be a Boaltie but I'm a true Bruin at heart haha
It's way less boring than most drives on the East Coast though! :-D I mean the Grapevine was super exciting to me the first time that I drove on it. Also, parts of the Central Valley aren't THAT bad, especially if you've never been before. The mountains look pretty cool on both sides. The 580 stretch is nice too. The windmills, the two mountain passes, etc. I think after the 5th time I went it started getting boring but if you've never been before it's something you definitely have to experience!! :-)
Talking about bad drives, try the I-10 stretch through West Texas from El Paso to Austin driving through a 500 mile stretch of absolutely nothing. During the first six hours, the scenery is seriously depressing, as you are driving through a stretch of desert in one of the driest places in the country. I made that drive quite a few times during undergrad alone. Thrash metal music helped keep me awake. The only good part is most of the stretch of I-10 has a speed limit of 80 (only place in the country) since there are not many cars on the road.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Geneva wrote: I would rather go to Berkeley than UCLA, but UCLA makes more sense financially (with no T14 scholarships, I doubt Berkeley will give me much aid). Decisions, decisions. All feedback is greatly appreciated:)
IIRC Berkeley's aid packages are heavily need based, so what they offer may be substantially different from other t14 schools that have more merit based fin aid offers.

Maybe some current Boalties can comment from experience?

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Any idea when aid packages will be out?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Neatrends wrote:
Geneva wrote: I would rather go to Berkeley than UCLA, but UCLA makes more sense financially (with no T14 scholarships, I doubt Berkeley will give me much aid). Decisions, decisions. All feedback is greatly appreciated:)
IIRC Berkeley's aid packages are heavily need based, so what they offer may be substantially different from other t14 schools that have more merit based fin aid offers.

Maybe some current Boalties can comment from experience?
More feedback here would be fantastic! Do the salaries of parents/guardians factor in here even for people over 24 who have been financially independent since 18? I haven't done my financial forms bc people under faculty review 2 got an extension.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Rotor,

Are you familiar with the Budget Appeal form? How would that work for new students, especially asking for more money to help move to California and for buying a new computer? Would you have to buy the computer first and move to California, and then ask for a budget appeal?
Yeah, I was told to submit the budget appeal around september and to keep ALL receipts as far as the cost of your move. They said even include receipts from eating at mcdonalds or any other expenses along the way.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Just got an email with a list of student-hosts. That is very nice of Berk's law students. I did not expect to see such a cooperation. I fell in love with the school even more :D

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:49 pm

EvelynS wrote:Just got an email with a list of student-hosts. That is very nice of Berk's law students. I did not expect to see such a cooperation. I fell in love with the school even more :D
Was about to reply and whine about not getting the list but then checked my e-mail and saw it too =D

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:07 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Virgil777 on Sun May 27, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Is our admission response deadline actually April 16, the day after ASW ends?

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Is our admission response deadline actually April 16, the day after ASW ends?
The first one. The official response is sometime in June if I'm not mistaken.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Any idea when aid packages will be out?
If I remember correctly, packages came out just before & after ASW last year.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm

New rankings made me smile :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 am

Elliott_Smith wrote:New rankings made me smile :)
Werd! :D

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 am

forward wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:Any idea when aid packages will be out?
If I remember correctly, packages came out just before & after ASW last year.
That just seems insanely late. I know I'm not the only one with deadlines at other schools before that.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 am

We popped $250 bottles of champagne on our new posh 8th floor terrace built as a congratulatory measure of tying UPenn for best public law school in the country.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 am

Tanicius wrote:

We popped $250 bottles of champagne on our new posh 8th floor terrace built as a congratulatory measure of tying UPenn for best public law school in the country.
You are clearly doing things correctly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”