Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Rotor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Neatrends wrote:Whoever suggested a round of drinks with TLSers Friday night during ASW, count me in!

There's so much drawing me to Berkeley right now, I keep having to stop myself from visualizing myself there and give other schools I'm in at a fair shot =)

I also have concerns about the effects of the UC system's fiscal issues and how this would impact me as a law student there. Any input from current students would be really helpful.

I won't say that this isn't a legitimate concern, but I don't think it's a significant enough reason to choose against Berkeley--at least not on its own. The recent tuition increases have not been fun, but one of their main goals has been to reduce our dependence on the regents. For example, when they decided at the 11th hour to assess an extra $1000+ fee, Dean Edley summarily gave everyone (yes everyone) a compensating scholarship. Also, I think Gov. Brown is getting a grip on things and there is a proposal on the upcoming ballot to raise state funds exclusively for Calif. higher education. It may not pass, but at least it says that both the policy makers and the public are starting to recognize the cuts have gone too far.

User avatar
bigtexmex
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby bigtexmex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Rotor,

Are you familiar with the Budget Appeal form? How would that work for new students, especially asking for more money to help move to California and for buying a new computer? Would you have to buy the computer first and move to California, and then ask for a budget appeal?

thecactus
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby thecactus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Rotor wrote:
Neatrends wrote:Whoever suggested a round of drinks with TLSers Friday night during ASW, count me in!

There's so much drawing me to Berkeley right now, I keep having to stop myself from visualizing myself there and give other schools I'm in at a fair shot =)

I also have concerns about the effects of the UC system's fiscal issues and how this would impact me as a law student there. Any input from current students would be really helpful.

I won't say that this isn't a legitimate concern, but I don't think it's a significant enough reason to choose against Berkeley--at least not on its own. The recent tuition increases have not been fun, but one of their main goals has been to reduce our dependence on the regents. For example, when they decided at the 11th hour to assess an extra $1000+ fee, Dean Edley summarily gave everyone (yes everyone) a compensating scholarship. Also, I think Gov. Brown is getting a grip on things and there is a proposal on the upcoming ballot to raise state funds exclusively for Calif. higher education. It may not pass, but at least it says that both the policy makers and the public are starting to recognize the cuts have gone too far.


I also want to add that Berkeley, out of all the UC's, is probably the most active in minimizing the effects of the budget cuts. Student groups are still organizing, and the local people seem to be sympathetic. Also, it helps that Berkeley has a very strong alumni system. When the Cal baseball team was about to get cut, a group of alumni were able to raise millions of dollars in, like, 0.5 seconds to save the team.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby catwomangirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:01 pm

thecactus wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Neatrends wrote:Whoever suggested a round of drinks with TLSers Friday night during ASW, count me in!

There's so much drawing me to Berkeley right now, I keep having to stop myself from visualizing myself there and give other schools I'm in at a fair shot =)

I also have concerns about the effects of the UC system's fiscal issues and how this would impact me as a law student there. Any input from current students would be really helpful.

I won't say that this isn't a legitimate concern, but I don't think it's a significant enough reason to choose against Berkeley--at least not on its own. The recent tuition increases have not been fun, but one of their main goals has been to reduce our dependence on the regents. For example, when they decided at the 11th hour to assess an extra $1000+ fee, Dean Edley summarily gave everyone (yes everyone) a compensating scholarship. Also, I think Gov. Brown is getting a grip on things and there is a proposal on the upcoming ballot to raise state funds exclusively for Calif. higher education. It may not pass, but at least it says that both the policy makers and the public are starting to recognize the cuts have gone too far.


I also want to add that Berkeley, out of all the UC's, is probably the most active in minimizing the effects of the budget cuts. Student groups are still organizing, and the local people seem to be sympathetic. Also, it helps that Berkeley has a very strong alumni system. When the Cal baseball team was about to get cut, a group of alumni were able to raise millions of dollars in, like, 0.5 seconds to save the team.


Also, I can't really think how this would be relevant to law students...they can't get rid of faculty who are already there, can they?

I'm planning on living and eating off campus, so what would this affect?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Rotor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Rotor,

Are you familiar with the Budget Appeal form? How would that work for new students, especially asking for more money to help move to California and for buying a new computer? Would you have to buy the computer first and move to California, and then ask for a budget appeal?

I don't know anything about the appeal process, but the folks at FinAid have always been friendly, helpful and genuinely there to help the students. Just give them a shout! (Just be sure it's the law school finaid folks)

User avatar
Aspen
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Aspen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Is anyone thinking about living in Manville Apartments? Looks decent but...I dunno. I'm gonna have to move in either late July or early August so I'm a little scared about finding somewhere good given those restrictions.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Aspen wrote:Is anyone thinking about living in Manville Apartments? Looks decent but...I dunno. I'm gonna have to move in either late July or early August so I'm a little scared about finding somewhere good given those restrictions.


Same boat. Manville seemed helpful given the timing. I gathered that the rooms don't have a full kitchen. No oven and only a mini fridge. I guess I could live with that but the thing that is throwing me off is that several people have reported that the rooms are REALLY small.

User avatar
Aspen
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Aspen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Aspen wrote:Is anyone thinking about living in Manville Apartments? Looks decent but...I dunno. I'm gonna have to move in either late July or early August so I'm a little scared about finding somewhere good given those restrictions.


Same boat. Manville seemed helpful given the timing. I gathered that the rooms don't have a full kitchen. No oven and only a mini fridge. I guess I could live with that but the thing that is throwing me off is that several people have reported that the rooms are REALLY small.


Edit: oops posted twice
Last edited by Aspen on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aspen
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Aspen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Aspen wrote:Is anyone thinking about living in Manville Apartments? Looks decent but...I dunno. I'm gonna have to move in either late July or early August so I'm a little scared about finding somewhere good given those restrictions.


Same boat. Manville seemed helpful given the timing. I gathered that the rooms don't have a full kitchen. No oven and only a mini fridge. I guess I could live with that but the thing that is throwing me off is that several people have reported that the rooms are REALLY small.


Yeah. I saw the pictures and they're tiny! They're only between 260-305 sq feet. I think they do have a kitchen though. Here's a picture from the site: http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/livinga ... hen_lg.jpg
Last edited by Aspen on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bigtexmex
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby bigtexmex » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Aspen wrote:Is anyone thinking about living in Manville Apartments? Looks decent but...I dunno. I'm gonna have to move in either late July or early August so I'm a little scared about finding somewhere good given those restrictions.


Same boat. Manville seemed helpful given the timing. I gathered that the rooms don't have a full kitchen. No oven and only a mini fridge. I guess I could live with that but the thing that is throwing me off is that several people have reported that the rooms are REALLY small.


I'm thinking about it. Considering the current circumstances, this would be the easiest option for me unless someone wants to room with me and is willing to look for a place.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby EvelynS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I am also considering Manville, at least for my 1st year. Since I have never been to CA, it will take me some time to figure out what the options are.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Did you guys see this?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

It's increasing my confidence in Berkeley. I realize it doesn't include clerkships and PI, but I already know Berkeley PI-central.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby EvelynS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Did you guys see this?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

It's increasing my confidence in Berkeley. I realize it doesn't include clerkships and PI, but I already know Berkeley PI-central.



That's amazing (assuming that this stats is actually reliable) :D I was quite concerned about CA financial situation, especially that I am interested in a big law firm summer job. Employment stats is very important factor for me in choosing a law school.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Did you guys see this?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

It's increasing my confidence in Berkeley. I realize it doesn't include clerkships and PI, but I already know Berkeley PI-central.


Agree the numbers are encouraging, especially if you factor in strong PI self selection.

User avatar
Neatrends
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Neatrends » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:Did you guys see this?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

It's increasing my confidence in Berkeley. I realize it doesn't include clerkships and PI, but I already know Berkeley PI-central.


Agree the numbers are encouraging, especially if you factor in strong PI self selection.


Berkeley just keeps looking better and better! Just waiting on a reasonable offer and I'm all in =)

agalang
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby agalang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey guys -
I have my individual visit to Boalt next week and the schedule says I'm meeting with the Admissions staff at 9AM. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere but for any current Boalties (and anyone who has met with Admissions after being accepted at other schools), what exactly goes on at this meeting? Just looking for ideas as to what kinds of questions to ask. "What stood out about my application?" Idk. Any ideas would be great!

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby catwomangirl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 pm

agalang wrote:Hey guys -
I have my individual visit to Boalt next week and the schedule says I'm meeting with the Admissions staff at 9AM. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere but for any current Boalties (and anyone who has met with Admissions after being accepted at other schools), what exactly goes on at this meeting? Just looking for ideas as to what kinds of questions to ask. "What stood out about my application?" Idk. Any ideas would be great!



Wait did they invite you to do the individual meeting?

Is this for negotiating scholarships or something?

agalang
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby agalang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
agalang wrote:Hey guys -
I have my individual visit to Boalt next week and the schedule says I'm meeting with the Admissions staff at 9AM. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere but for any current Boalties (and anyone who has met with Admissions after being accepted at other schools), what exactly goes on at this meeting? Just looking for ideas as to what kinds of questions to ask. "What stood out about my application?" Idk. Any ideas would be great!



Wait did they invite you to do the individual meeting?

Is this for negotiating scholarships or something?


No you can actually sign up on the Admitted Students website under "Individual Visit" or something. I live in the area and I wanted to meet with a financial aid adviser so I signed up and got the whole shebang (admissions staff visit, visit/tour with a current student, sit in on a class an fin aid meeting). Obviously not by choice but oh well... :/

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 pm

agalang wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:
agalang wrote:Hey guys -
I have my individual visit to Boalt next week and the schedule says I'm meeting with the Admissions staff at 9AM. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere but for any current Boalties (and anyone who has met with Admissions after being accepted at other schools), what exactly goes on at this meeting? Just looking for ideas as to what kinds of questions to ask. "What stood out about my application?" Idk. Any ideas would be great!



Wait did they invite you to do the individual meeting?

Is this for negotiating scholarships or something?


No you can actually sign up on the Admitted Students website under "Individual Visit" or something. I live in the area and I wanted to meet with a financial aid adviser so I signed up and got the whole shebang (admissions staff visit, visit/tour with a current student, sit in on a class an fin aid meeting). Obviously not by choice but oh well... :/


I did the same thing because I couldn't make ASW. Admissions staff were very friendly and helpful. In my meeting with them they were mostly telling me about the school, courses, student groups etc. and activities at the law school that day for me to check out... At that point, I think they're trying to show you how great the school is and convince you to join so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I found attending a class and meeting current students to be the most interesting part. There was also a useful presentation that day by several faculty members about Berkeley's International Law Certificate, which was pure luck and worked out great. I didn't meet with FinAid though.

agalang
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby agalang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
agalang wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:
agalang wrote:Hey guys -
I have my individual visit to Boalt next week and the schedule says I'm meeting with the Admissions staff at 9AM. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere but for any current Boalties (and anyone who has met with Admissions after being accepted at other schools), what exactly goes on at this meeting? Just looking for ideas as to what kinds of questions to ask. "What stood out about my application?" Idk. Any ideas would be great!



Wait did they invite you to do the individual meeting?

Is this for negotiating scholarships or something?


No you can actually sign up on the Admitted Students website under "Individual Visit" or something. I live in the area and I wanted to meet with a financial aid adviser so I signed up and got the whole shebang (admissions staff visit, visit/tour with a current student, sit in on a class an fin aid meeting). Obviously not by choice but oh well... :/


I did the same thing because I couldn't make ASW. Admissions staff were very friendly and helpful. In my meeting with them they were mostly telling me about the school, courses, student groups etc. and activities at the law school that day for me to check out... At that point, I think they're trying to show you how great the school is and convince you to join so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I found attending a class and meeting current students to be the most interesting part. There was also a useful presentation that day by several faculty members about Berkeley's International Law Certificate, which was pure luck and worked out great. I didn't meet with FinAid though.


Thanks Redamon! Are you a current student at Boalt?

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:59 pm

I will enroll this fall. I got in last year and deferred.

User avatar
Mr.Hart
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Mr.Hart » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey guys... found out I got in a while back and wanted to congratulate everyone.... count me in for beer-night :lol:

agalang
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby agalang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Redamon1 wrote:I will enroll this fall. I got in last year and deferred.


Awesome. Just got the WL from Michigan so I'll see you this fall, classmate! :D

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 am

Just checking into this thread to say that if anyone has questions on PI/human rights, particularly international PI info, feel free to ask me.

User avatar
Aspen
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby Aspen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Anyone possibly looking for a roommate to get a nice-ish two bedroom together with? It seems like in the Berkeley market that if you don't want to live with tons of other people or a small studio the smart thing to do is to maybe get a 2 bedroom apartment with someone cool.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest