Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
bigtexmex

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Postby bigtexmex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:So, I still need to fill out the scholarship interest form.

Do I just check everything I'm eligible for? How did people approach extra essay/s?

I just checked everything I'm eligible for. As for the essay, I just wrote one of the options.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 am

Sweet, thanks.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Flight booked. Now, to actually get the time off from work...

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Hey guys! Joining the party.

Any of you choosing between Berkeley and schools that are USNWR ranked higher? (I want to go to Berkeley, but there is nagging nagging guilt).

matvei

Postby matvei » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Hey guys! Joining the party.

Any of you choosing between Berkeley and schools that are USNWR ranked higher? (I want to go to Berkeley, but there is nagging nagging guilt).

YES. Hardest decision of my life.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 am

matvei wrote:

Me too!

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 am

splbagel wrote:
matvei wrote:

Me too!

But doesn't it feel like Berkeley is a lifestyle choice?
You sit down and confess to your parents: Mom, Dad, I'm Berkeley.

Champion

Postby Champion » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am

catwomangirl wrote:
splbagel wrote:
matvei wrote:

Me too!

But doesn't it feel like Berkeley is a lifestyle choice?
You sit down and confess to your parents: Mom, Dad, I'm Berkeley.

This.

When I compare my life freezing at Chicago in "the life of the mind" vs. being in bay area with just a great quality of life and group of people...yeaaaa you get the point.

azgirl514

Postby azgirl514 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 am

Kind of. I got into Michigan, which I think is technically a few places higher? Still, it's not Yale or Harvard, so I doubt those few points are enough to justify making a choice simply based on rank. Also, I was born and raised in Arizona and definitely would like to work on the West Coast. I guess I'm just worried cause Berk is a state school and California is bankrupt...

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am

azgirl514 wrote:

Kind of. I got into Michigan, which I think is technically a few places higher? Still, it's not Yale or Harvard, so I doubt those few points are enough to justify making a choice simply based on rank. Also, I was born and raised in Arizona and definitely would like to work on the West Coast. I guess I'm just worried cause Berk is a state school and California is bankrupt...

I was actually thinking about that. Is there a way for us to look at their endowment numbers? Even public institutions can have their own endowment.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 am

I'm choosing between Berkeley and NYU here. Would love to work in California, but I guess the T6 mentality and probably slightly better Big Law chances at NYU are holding me back. ASW for both are gonna be a big deal.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am

Someone on page 4 of this thread talked about their considerations in weighing Berkeley against NYU and ultimately picking Berkeley.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 am

Redamon1 wrote:Someone on page 4 of this thread talked about their considerations in weighing Berkeley against NYU and ultimately picking Berkeley.

I think I might just be doing that.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

azgirl514 wrote:

A big part of the recent tuition increase has been to make the school less reliant on the state coffers. I can't find the letter we got that outlined the target goal of support coming from the state but I think it was in the single digits percentages. Here is a blog that reprints an OpEd by Dean Edley about the issue as a whole. http://toodumbtolivearchive.blogspot.co ... nuary.html

As an added note, this year, when the regents unilaterally imposed a $1068 increase in fees, Dean Edley awarded every student a scholarship in that amount.

If you are concerned about the state economy because of secondary impacts for jobs, etc. that is a different issue. But I am somewhat optimistic that Gov. Brown's initiatives--while not popular--will get the state back on a sustainable fiscal path. I also think that the world's eighth largest economy should provide some resilience such that we won't turn into Greece.

My thought: if you want Berkeley, come to Berkeley. With very few career goal exceptions (e.g, SCOTUS Clerk) the differences just are not that great to pass on it.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm

tag

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Is there a way for us to look at their endowment numbers?

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Hey guys! Just found out I got in! Berkeley is my dream school. Can't wait to meet you guys during ASW! :-)

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Aspen wrote:Hey guys! Just found out I got in! Berkeley is my dream school. Can't wait to meet you guys during ASW! :-)

Congrats. And, congrats to the new admits.

See y'all at ASW. Maybe the TLS crowd can get together Friday the 13th after the day for some drinks.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm

bigtexmex wrote:
Aspen wrote:Hey guys! Just found out I got in! Berkeley is my dream school. Can't wait to meet you guys during ASW! :-)

Congrats. And, congrats to the new admits.

See y'all at ASW. Maybe the TLS crowd can get together Friday the 13th after the day for some drinks.

I am absolutely for it! :D

thecactus

Postby thecactus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello everyone! Just got admitted and I'm pretty positive I'll be at Berkeley this fall.

I'm a Bay Area native. I've lived in Oakland, San Jose, and Berkeley. I've worked in SF and the Peninsula...suffice to say that I know the area pretty well. If anyone has any questions about this beautiful, beautiful place, feel free to ask. :)

Also, I find it funny that y'all were rooting for the Niners because Berkeley/Oakland is located solidly in Raider Nation. ;) It's okay, we do find a few stray Niners fans roaming the East Bay every once in a while.

Genki

Postby Genki » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:48 pm

smokeylarue wrote:I'm choosing between Berkeley and NYU here. Would love to work in California, but I guess the T6 mentality and probably slightly better Big Law chances at NYU are holding me back. ASW for both are gonna be a big deal.

@smokeylarue. What ASW are you planning on going to for NYU. I'm in the exact same situation. I'm really interested in working in the bay area (I have a work background related to tech, so San Francisco/Palo Alto is appealing). I'd also rather live in Berkeley for the 3 years of law school than New York (although New York would still be great). However, I've been hearing some scary stories from Berkeley students having difficult time finding jobs, so the better big law prospects of NYU is tempting.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Genki wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:I'm choosing between Berkeley and NYU here. Would love to work in California, but I guess the T6 mentality and probably slightly better Big Law chances at NYU are holding me back. ASW for both are gonna be a big deal.

@smokeylarue. What ASW are you planning on going to for NYU. I'm in the exact same situation. I'm really interested in working in the bay area (I have a work background related to tech, so San Francisco/Palo Alto is appealing). I'd also rather live in Berkeley for the 3 years of law school than New York (although New York would still be great). However, I've been hearing some scary stories from Berkeley students having difficult time finding jobs, so the better big law prospects of NYU is tempting.

The people that are almost universally not having trouble getting jobs out here are the tech people. The number of tech and IP-oriented 1L's I know who have gotten paid summer firm jobs is staggering to me.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 pm

For all you long ago-admitted people:
How long did you wait for long-in info etc?

Hermione

Postby Hermione » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm also in the same boat in terms of choosing schools. Berkeley has been my top choice for so long. It's just hard cause I've heard the same things about finding jobs, and I'm perpetually worried that my decision to go to a school based on the lifestyle and atmosphere and the happiness I feel when I am on their campus may be offset by my inability to find a biglaw job that isn't in tech or ip.

Also, I am excited about ASW. Hope I can make it!

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

catwomangirl wrote:For all you long ago-admitted people:
How long did you wait for long-in info etc?

I got an email with the login information in around two weeks.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”