Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
catwomangirl

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by catwomangirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:54 am

Aspen wrote:I think I might have found someplace actually. It's two blocks from Boalt. I'd be sharing a one bedroom with this girl where I'd have my own room and she'd be living in the living room but it's like $760 a month including utilities and $830 if I wanted a parking spot instead of street parking. It's a weird situation but it's hella cheap! Plus, the kitchen and bathroom are nice and the building is retrofitted! Soooo any of you guys who want to be my friend.....we can hang out at your place instead when we hang out BUT if there's a massive earthquake and your place collapses you can always come crash at my place!!! :-)

FWIW I have a friend who lives a few blocks from the campus, and she says its LOUD, because all the frats etc.

Also
WHERE IS THE MONEY BOALT? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!
Gotta plan my debt and shit.

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
Aspen wrote:I think I might have found someplace actually. It's two blocks from Boalt. I'd be sharing a one bedroom with this girl where I'd have my own room and she'd be living in the living room but it's like $760 a month including utilities and $830 if I wanted a parking spot instead of street parking. It's a weird situation but it's hella cheap! Plus, the kitchen and bathroom are nice and the building is retrofitted! Soooo any of you guys who want to be my friend.....we can hang out at your place instead when we hang out BUT if there's a massive earthquake and your place collapses you can always come crash at my place!!! :-)

FWIW I have a friend who lives a few blocks from the campus, and she says its LOUD, because all the frats etc.

Also
WHERE IS THE MONEY BOALT? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!
Gotta plan my debt and shit.
I'll be on the top floor and away from the frat houses, they're all clustered together. I'll actually be living right by Manville. It's month to month so if it's straight up awful I could go someplace else. It would be nice to find out about scholarships soon but I've heard about some people getting them in late April and even May in years before.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Virgil777 wrote:
Month to month? NICE! The vast majority of places I keep seeing are for one year lease, which is something I'd like to avoid if possible. If I end up finding summer employment in another city (assuming I manage to find something for my 1L summer), I don't want to deal with the whole subleasing issue of finding someone to replace me for a summer.
Haha I'm basically part of a scheme to keep this rent controlled apartment sliding from one person to another without the rents getting jacked up. Either way though subletting won't be that hard. There's plenty of people who come to Berkeley over the summer.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:17 pm

That's not bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:37 am

bigtexmex wrote:
That's not bad.
Heh clearly you haven't become acclimated to Berkeley apartment hunting yet. That's pretty incredible. (Especially the month to month bit, Berkeley is notorious for year long leases).

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:05 pm

deleted

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 am

Virgil777 wrote:Spent almost all of today looking for an apartment at Berkeley and haven't found anything yet. Most leases I've seen so far start by June 1st, and I'd rather not move there till late July/Early August.
Some places start Aug. 1st but you are still going to have to pay for a full year/sublet so keep that in mind if you had aspirations to work elsewhere during the summer.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:22 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Virgil777 wrote:Spent almost all of today looking for an apartment at Berkeley and haven't found anything yet. Most leases I've seen so far start by June 1st, and I'd rather not move there till late July/Early August.
Some places start Aug. 1st but you are still going to have to pay for a full year/sublet so keep that in mind if you had aspirations to work elsewhere during the summer.

In general, do owners allow you to sublet for summer? How hard is to find someone to sublet ur apt for summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Also, what financial guarantees and other documents do landlords near Berkeley typically require to seal the deal?

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Redamon1 wrote:Also, what financial guarantees and other documents do landlords near Berkeley typically require to seal the deal?
In my experience, they needed first month/last month/security deposit and a willingness to sign the contract.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:Also, what financial guarantees and other documents do landlords near Berkeley typically require to seal the deal?
In my experience, they needed first month/last month/security deposit and a willingness to sign the contract.
Thanks. I haven't been a student in a while so wasn't sure if they would require some sort of guarantee of financial viability like a co-signer or bank statements...

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 am

Redamon1 wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:
Thanks. I haven't been a student in a while so wasn't sure if they would require some sort of guarantee of financial viability like a co-signer or bank statements...
That entirely depends on the owner/manager. I had a cosigner for both apartments that I stayed in. For one of those apartments, they required a pay stub for my co-signer (at the time, my mother). The few places I am interested in for this upcoming school year all seem to want some sort of proof of income (pay stub, W4, 1040, etc.). I imagine proof scholarship/federal loan would probably suffice.

Again, it all depends on the people you are dealing with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:39 am

EvelynS wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

In general, do owners allow you to sublet for summer? How hard is to find someone to sublet ur apt for summer?
Almost every owner will let you sublet for the summer. Finding subletters is a different story. A lot of people have already found their subletters. Also, subleases are dirt cheap in Berkeley. I imagine that they are probably far below the monthly rent (in order to stay competitive). So you will probably be able to recoup 70-80% of the monthly rent during the summer should you find someone.

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Is it realistic to find a room for rent for less than $900, walking distance from Boalt campus??? I'm losing hope and considering applying to iHouse since its nearby and includes food!

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Has anyone's Statement of Legal Residency been processed?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Aspen wrote:Has anyone's Statement of Legal Residency been processed?
SLRs take forever (done by main campus, not the LS) and it's not much to worry about anyway. Even if they don't get it done until fees are due, it'll be ~$2k and you'll get it refunded when the nonresident charge is reversed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:58 pm

mcenteno wrote:Is it realistic to find a room for rent for less than $900, walking distance from Boalt campus??? I'm losing hope and considering applying to iHouse since its nearby and includes food!
Yes, but you most likely won't be happy with the place itself. Berkeley is notorious for huge spike increases as you get closer to the campus. In some places closer to campus it gets so bad it looks like maintenance has never been performed on the building. If you are looking for a place thats a little nicer, give Northside a try. You will be "walking distance" (if you consider a 15-20 minute walk walking distance) and won't have to deal with horrendous buildings.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:55 pm

I want to move now. Three months is way too long for me. :(

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Found a 1 bedroom place up in the hills for under a grand, inclusive. However, the walks a killer when the bus stops running. O well.

I am excited to move in, hoping it works out for all three years, I am so tired of moving.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Anyone who's still looking for housing, PM me. I live in a 3-bedroom unit a 10-minute bus ride from campus, and the other two rooms will be available in August.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

deleted

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am

Woah, how so cheap? Private owner? If it is a complex please PM me the name!

You guys are making me nervous already having things lined up...

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 pm

So no one's heard anything about matching scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”