Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
EvelynS

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by EvelynS » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 am

Elliott_Smith wrote:New rankings made me smile :)
Yey!!!! This new ranking made my day :D

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

Tanicius wrote:

We popped $250 bottles of champagne on our new posh 8th floor terrace built as a congratulatory measure of tying UPenn for best public law school in the country.
Except Penn is private, so there is no tie. And despite what the number US News decides to randomly assign us each year, it doesn't change your ultimate conclusion.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 am

Rotor wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

We popped $250 bottles of champagne on our new posh 8th floor terrace built as a congratulatory measure of tying UPenn for best public law school in the country.
Except Penn is private, so there is no tie. And despite what the number US News decides to randomly assign us each year, it doesn't change your ultimate conclusion.
whoosh

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 am

dreakol wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

whoosh
except we tied uva. but w/e. still awesome.

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous! I want Berkeley being back to being the top public law school in the country and not having to share it with anyone. Berkeley is definitely way better than UVA. First of all when I went to tour that place it was SUPER depressing. Everyone kinda looked like they didn't want to be there at all, which is a huge contrast with Berkeley. Then on top of that it has horrible placement in the California market. I don't care how good you claim you are but if you can't place in the most populous state in the country you're not this super amazing national law school. I spoke to students who want to practice there and alums who currently practice in CA and they said it was EXTREMELY difficult trying to get there/getting there. Berkeley, however, has pretty good placement on the East Coast. It's pretty much common knowledge (and I know a couple alums/current students at Boalt) that if you really want to go back to the East Coast from there you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Aspen wrote:
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous! I want Berkeley being back to being the top public law school in the country and not having to share it with anyone. Berkeley is definitely way better than UVA. First of all when I went to tour that place it was SUPER depressing. Everyone kinda looked like they didn't want to be there at all, which is a huge contrast with Berkeley. Then on top of that it has horrible placement in the California market. I don't care how good you claim you are but if you can't place in the most populous state in the country you're not this super amazing national law school. I spoke to students who want to practice there and alums who currently practice in CA and they said it was EXTREMELY difficult trying to get there/getting there. Berkeley, however, has pretty good placement on the East Coast. It's pretty much common knowledge (and I know a couple alums/current students at Boalt) that if you really want to go back to the East Coast from there you can.
i feel like berkeley really does have a better national reputation than other peer schools, with the possible exception of Penn. also, correct me if i'm wrong, but berkeley doesn't have a new fellowship program where they pay their own graduates to boost employment statistics? next year i anticipate a drop in the rankings for uva, as 10%+ of their students are "employed" by their alma mater. us news has promised to impose more rigorous employment standards to improve transparency.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Virgil777 wrote:Oh great, while I was typing out the answers to the Scholarship Interest form questions, it timed me out and logged me off, the only problem is that it went ahead and "submitted" my application and conveniently changed all of my "yes" answers to "no" and I can't change anything because it has been submitted. :roll:

It'll be interesting to see how helpful their Financial Aid office is going to be in resolving this issue.
"NOPE! Sry, you submitted already. Whats done is done."

JK Im sure theyll be happy to help ya out =D

Also, did anyone get a call from the admissions office today? I had a missed call from them but no message, thought it was odd.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Neatrends wrote:
Virgil777 wrote:Oh great, while I was typing out the answers to the Scholarship Interest form questions, it timed me out and logged me off, the only problem is that it went ahead and "submitted" my application and conveniently changed all of my "yes" answers to "no" and I can't change anything because it has been submitted. :roll:

It'll be interesting to see how helpful their Financial Aid office is going to be in resolving this issue.

Also, did anyone get a call from the admissions office today? I had a missed call from them but no message, thought it was odd.
yeah it was a berkeley student. idk what they wanted to talk about bc i had to go to a meeting at that precise time, but i think they wanted to answer any questions we might have about berkeley.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 am

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViennaGraben

New

Post by ViennaGraben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Geneva wrote:
Neatrends wrote:

yeah it was a berkeley student. idk what they wanted to talk about bc i had to go to a meeting at that precise time, but i think they wanted to answer any questions we might have about berkeley.
I got mine last night. It was a 1L who just wanted to chat and answer any questions we might have about the program and/or ASW coming up. We chatted for about 20 mins or so and she gave me her email to stay in touch, etc.

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm

You have to deal with admissions not financial aid. I called Financial Aid with some questions on that form and they said to direct all scholarship questions to admissions.

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Hmm, I got a call from a 510 number, but didn't hear anyone on the other end. Probably a bad connection. I wonder if that was my 1L call...

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

poe wrote:Hmm, I got a call from a 510 number, but didn't hear anyone on the other end. Probably a bad connection. I wonder if that was my 1L call...
I had a call yesterday from a 2L student. She decided to call me right as I was going to sleep. I think she might have thought I was some psycho killer or something due to the fact that I was already dozing off.

thebigspoon

New

Post by thebigspoon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:21 am

anyone hear back with any scholarship info? Matching or anything from the scholarship interest form? I love Cal but its expensive =/

mcenteno

New

Post by mcenteno » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:25 am

thebigspoon wrote:anyone hear back with any scholarship info? Matching or anything from the scholarship interest form? I love Cal but its expensive =/
I submitted the scholarship interest form a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything! Maybe after ASW, around the same time they send out financial aid packages?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Geneva wrote:
Aspen wrote:
i feel like berkeley really does have a better national reputation than other peer schools, with the possible exception of Penn. also, correct me if i'm wrong, but berkeley doesn't have a new fellowship program where they pay their own graduates to boost employment statistics? next year i anticipate a drop in the rankings for uva, as 10%+ of their students are "employed" by their alma mater. us news has promised to impose more rigorous employment standards to improve transparency.
I can tell you from personal experience that Berkeley as a school overall has a better reputation than UVA, Mich, and even some higher ranked schools like NYU and Chicago. I'm talking here about the perception among non-lawyers, many of whom PI-interested grads will need to impress to get hired and promoted. BigLaw is clearly another matter but when it comes to PI, lay prestige, largely influenced by the quality of the University overall, is an important factor.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:51 pm

thebigspoon wrote:anyone hear back with any scholarship info? Matching or anything from the scholarship interest form? I love Cal but its expensive =/
Patiently waiting.

It sounds like late march/early April is the norm.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Congrats to all the new admits! Berkeley is a wonderful place to go to law school.

ViennaGraben

New

Post by ViennaGraben » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
Patiently waiting.

It sounds like late march/early April is the norm.
Nothing aside from that info about the Phoenix. There's a little chain about it going on the admissions thread too. Since a lot of admitted student who aren't minorities got it, we're assuming everyone did. Wish we would hear on the actual awards sooooooooooooon...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Yup, so that. It definitely looks like they didn't restrict the email to eligible admits.

Waiting less patiently.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm having trouble getting onto the admitted students page. Although I created a CalNet ID and pass phrase, I cannot log onto the account. Despite the fact that I made a point of typing in the right words, I keep getting an error message. I have not been able to log in since creating my CalNetID. Is anyone else having this problem? The error message says: Note: Your CalNet Passphrase is case sensitive.

The CalNet ID and/or Passphrase you provided are incorrect.

canon

New

Post by canon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Wanted to say congratufreakinglations to all the new admits. Please come to ASW! Best way to see why Boalt has its reputation as one of the more relaxed/chill law schools in the T14.

I met some admits in the past few weeks and really hope you attend!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 pm

canon wrote:Wanted to say congratufreakinglations to all the new admits. Please come to ASW! Best way to see why Boalt has its reputation as one of the more relaxed/chill law schools in the T14.

I met some admits in the past few weeks and really hope you attend!
Thank you! Stoked to be in. Just have to figure out how to access the admitted students site!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”