Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Real Madrid

Silver

Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Admitted Students Weekend: April 12 - 15, 2012

Berkeley Law/Boalt Hall Facbeook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Berkeley- ... 9436858124

Berkeley Law Twitter: http://twitter.com/BerkeleyLawNews

Admitted Students Weekend Schedule (taken from the admitted student website):

April 12: Welcome reception and dinner for diverse admits. (5pm - 8pm)

April 13: ADMIT DAY

Breakfast, Welcome, Mock Classes, Lunch, Break Out Sessions, Financial Aid Info, Student Activities Fair (8:30 am - 4 pm).

All-Journal Reception (4 pm - 5:30 pm).

Choice of one of three dinners:

1. La Raza and Native American Law Students Association Dinner

2. Queer Caucus Dinner for LGBTQ and Allies

3. Law Students of African Decent Legacy Dinner

April 14:

Berkeley Hills Hike

Coalition's Soul Food BBQ

All of these events are tentatively planned and more events will be added in the coming months.
Last edited by Real Madrid on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

agalang

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2015

Post by agalang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks for putting this together! Unless Stanford bites (which I highly, HIGHLY doubt) I will be at Berkeley this fall! I live about twenty minutes from the campus so if anyone has any questions about the area I'll be glad to answer! Congrats on all the acceptances! :D

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I haven't decided, but I'm extremely excited. I would for sure consider Berkeley over a t6 school.

Still, I worry about things like this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/us/ca ... r=1&src=tp

As someone who will be relying on LRAP, this scares me a lot.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Looking like Berkeley V. Michigan for me. There's so many factors to think about. I love Berkeley and their grading system though.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Almost certainly Berk. Looking for a roommate...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeftCoast

New

Post by LeftCoast » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Very likely attending, just waiting on a few rejections :D

Champion

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by Champion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:26 pm

That picture up top is love! Berkeley is looking the move, c'mon Dean Tom...show me the money :D

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:48 am

Anyone know if tuition is gonna keep increasing? Berk would be my undisputed top choice if I got even just a little bit of money

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 am

lblelalr wrote:Anyone know if tuition is gonna keep increasing? Berk would be my undisputed top choice if I got even just a little bit of money
The graph of tuition increase was incredibly alarming (though obviously not predictive)... it was something like $30k a few years ago, and less than $5k up until a decade ago. I got the impression that this was for IS people, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Argh, why will they not email us about admitted students weekend? Airfare goes up quickly!

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 pm

addy11 wrote:Argh, why will they not email us about admitted students weekend? Airfare goes up quickly!
Just got my ASW info a couple hours ago! I assume you got it as well? If not, they cover airfare for one, round-trip coach ticket for up to $150 for travel from within California, or for up to $300 for travel from outside California. Can't wait to meet everyone! :D

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 pm

ahhhh so excited!

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 pm

agalang wrote:
addy11 wrote:Argh, why will they not email us about admitted students weekend? Airfare goes up quickly!
Just got my ASW info a couple hours ago! I assume you got it as well? If not, they cover airfare for one, round-trip coach ticket for up to $150 for travel from within California, or for up to $300 for travel from outside California. Can't wait to meet everyone! :D
Yes! Got the info too. They are so generous (do any other schools do this for non-scholarship people?)!

Given my numbers my cycle has been pretty predictable. I was expecting to get into NYU (did), and I somewhat expect to get into Columbia and Chicago and dinged at HYS, but Berkeley was the one school that I really didn't expect to get into that I have gotten into. I'm still so pumped about it and need to make a conscious effort not to romanticize it too much :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Weird...I still haven't gotten the email with all this info.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Last edited by poe on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:14 pm

agalang wrote:
Also in (deferred from last year) and got the same info from the website. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall! I couldn't make ASW last year for professional reasons but managed to visit the school on my own around that time. Admissions staff, students and faculty were great (not to mention the location and premises) and sold me on the school.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I LOVE BERKELEY!!! Don't know if I can afford it but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Berkeley! I already got my tix and hotel for ASW! Can't wait to meet everyone! WOOOHOOO!!!! YIPPEEE!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Kimberly wrote:I LOVE BERKELEY!!! Don't know if I can afford it but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Berkeley! I already got my tix and hotel for ASW! Can't wait to meet everyone! WOOOHOOO!!!! YIPPEEE!!!
I would love to go to Berkeley also but I just realized that it costs a whole 30k more than Michigan off top. We'll see how it plays out. Looking forward to seeing everyone at ASW!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:40 pm

I would love to go to Berkeley also but I just realized that it costs a whole 30k more than Michigan off top. We'll see how it plays out. Looking forward to seeing everyone at ASW!
How do you figure?

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:42 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
How do you figure?
Michigan's tuition this year is 47, Berkeley's is 54. Over three years that's 21k already...and then you have to figure that with the CA crisis that gap could only widen as Berkeley's will continue to rise faster than Michigan's. The total estimated figure on Michigan's website is is 67k, and for Berkeley OOS (which I would be) is 78, and then in-state 73. Just adding those differences up over three years makes Berkeley about 30k more, and of course Berkeley cost of living is > than AA cost of living. Berkeley is just about one of the most expensive t14's, and Michigan is just about the cheapest out of the t14.

With all that said, I loveeeee Berkeley and hopefully can make it happen. But it would take a good package though. We'll see.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:02 am

Champion wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
How do you figure?
Michigan's tuition this year is 47, Berkeley's is 54. Over three years that's 21k already...and then you have to figure that with the CA crisis that gap could only widen as Berkeley's will continue to rise faster than Michigan's. The total estimated figure on Michigan's website is is 67k, and for Berkeley OOS (which I would be) is 78, and then in-state 73. Just adding those differences up over three years makes Berkeley about 30k more, and of course Berkeley cost of living is > than AA cost of living. Berkeley is just about one of the most expensive t14's, and Michigan is just about the cheapest out of the t14.

With all that said, I loveeeee Berkeley and hopefully can make it happen. But it would take a good package though. We'll see.
Berkeley is definitely the most expensive at this point. I'm pretty sure even NYU isn't as expensive. IMO, this is the most important factor to weigh when trying to make a consideration between your peer school options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:29 am

Tanicius wrote:
Champion wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
How do you figure?

Berkeley is definitely the most expensive at this point. I'm pretty sure even NYU isn't as expensive. IMO, this is the most important factor to weigh when trying to make a consideration between your peer school options.
Yea all things equal I like Berkeley over Michigan. But I mean a 30k difference on top of cost of living and me being from the east coast (flying home) is a big difference.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Three points:

First, you are looking at OOS tuition for all three years. At Boalt, nearly everyone gets in-state status for the 2L and 3L years. For example, I never lived in California until about 3 weeks before 1L and I had no problem getting California residency.

Secondly, you can live much more cheaply than the COL calculator estimates. You just have to be smart.

Third, there is really no point in a general comparison. You need to get your financial aid package and go case-by-case.

Anyway, I am not trying to blatantly troll here. I know Berkeley's tuition is high - I pay it. I just don't think it is as simple as saying that Berkeley costs 30K more than Michigan.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Champion wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
How do you figure?

do not follow their col. one can easily live in berkeley for around 10k a year and live comfortably.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 pm

dreakol wrote:
Champion wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
How do you figure?

do not follow their col. one can easily live in berkeley for around 10k a year and live comfortably.
Thanks, that's great to know. I filled out my FAFSA, my scholarship interest form, and my supplemental need based grant form--so I'm just waiting for the (hopefully good) news money wise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”