Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Redamon1

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Some people have reported noteworthy and sometimes significant merit scholarships, so hang tight.

I have little to support this but I would say that if someone is interested in money, need-based or merit-based, they would probably do well to fill out FAFSA and other forms. For one, not doing so may be read by admissions staff as not being particularly interested/dependent on financial aid in any way (why waste money on someone for whom money is not a concern?). I also know that some schools have distinct budgets for merit and need-based aid, so the merit-aid staff may be more inclined to chip in $$ if a portion of the bill can be picked up by the need-based budget separately.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

I called the FinAid and they told me that they are still reviewing the need-based grants. They will release some decisions by the end of this week (at least I was told so).

Nick89

New

Post by Nick89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 pm

New to TLS. But here are my two cents.

I received a grant and have not yet responded whether or not I am tentatively committing. I filled out FAFSA and my EFC was 0.

My question is more about the Matching Scholarship. I submitted a $60,000 offer from UVA which has a deadline of April 6th. At first I was unsure if the grant award I received was their offer to match as the numbers were similar. After reading some of your posts I am starting to think that they will contact us differently to notify us of a decision with regards to the matching scholarship. I am wondering if the matching scholarship will still be considered even having received this grant.

Any input would be great and good luck to everyone still waiting to get offers!

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Nick89 wrote:New to TLS. But here are my two cents.

I received a grant and have not yet responded whether or not I am tentatively committing. I filled out FAFSA and my EFC was 0.

My question is more about the Matching Scholarship. I submitted a $60,000 offer from UVA which has a deadline of April 6th. At first I was unsure if the grant award I received was their offer to match as the numbers were similar. After reading some of your posts I am starting to think that they will contact us differently to notify us of a decision with regards to the matching scholarship. I am wondering if the matching scholarship will still be considered even having received this grant.

Any input would be great and good luck to everyone still waiting to get offers!
I think someone in another forum mentioned that matching/merit scholarships are handled by the Admission Office, not the FinAid. If you get merit/matching scholly, the FinAid will re-calculate your package. For more information, call or email the Admission Office.

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Has anyone successfully filled out their SLR? It keeps taking me to the Online SLR FAQs but the form is nowhere to be found...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 pm

agalang wrote:Has anyone successfully filled out their SLR? It keeps taking me to the Online SLR FAQs but the form is nowhere to be found...
+1
I thought that something was wrong with my SLR form. I guess I will find out next week during ASW.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am

My SLR didn't work for a long time but I finally did it a few weeks ago. Last I checked it still said it was processing.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Anyone else just get an email confirming that you're not getting need-based grant?

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Has anyone heard anything at all about matching scholarships? My deadline on the one I attempted to get matched actually already expired, but I managed to get an extension on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nick89

New

Post by Nick89 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm

KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:Has anyone heard anything at all about matching scholarships? My deadline on the one I attempted to get matched actually already expired, but I managed to get an extension on it.
From what I have gathered from the admissions office staff, they have already begun to make matching scholarship offers and will continue through this week. They said they probably wont make as many offers in the week leading up to the ASW and then they have to see where they are at after the April 16th tentative acceptance date is up. They also said that these matching scholarships have a 2 week expiration date on them so the first round of people will have 2 weeks to decide then they can make offers to others. From my conversation I got the feeling that they may be still making offers as late as May. Also one important thing I found out is that they don't rule you out for matching if the other offer expires. They take into consideration that you may have other similar offers and that you may have gotten an extension.

Hope all of this helps. Good Luck.

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Nick89 wrote:
KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:Has anyone heard anything at all about matching scholarships? My deadline on the one I attempted to get matched actually already expired, but I managed to get an extension on it.
From what I have gathered from the admissions office staff, they have already begun to make matching scholarship offers and will continue through this week. They said they probably wont make as many offers in the week leading up to the ASW and then they have to see where they are at after the April 16th tentative acceptance date is up. They also said that these matching scholarships have a 2 week expiration date on them so the first round of people will have 2 weeks to decide then they can make offers to others. From my conversation I got the feeling that they may be still making offers as late as May. Also one important thing I found out is that they don't rule you out for matching if the other offer expires. They take into consideration that you may have other similar offers and that you may have gotten an extension.

Very helpful! Thanks for the info.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:48 am

Throwing my name in here. Wasn't exactly sold on Berkeley, then they turned around today and blew my doors off with a Dean's Fellowship.

Looks like I will be joining you all in just a few months :D

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 am

MyFinAid is only showing a grant for the 2012-13 school year.

Is there a way to tell if Ill be receiving it for all three years?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boaltbear

New

Post by boaltbear » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 am

Nick89 wrote:

Just to confirm this for you all, I wasn't offered a scholarship until May last year. It came after I had already committed to Berkeley. It was actually a really substantial amount which was a nice surprise but I had already decided I was going to Boalt no matter what.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am

Neatrends wrote:MyFinAid is only showing a grant for the 2012-13 school year.

Is there a way to tell if Ill be receiving it for all three years?
If it is a need-based grant, it will be re-calculated each year depending on the income and tax returns.

kolokena

New

Post by kolokena » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm

[/quote]
Just to confirm this for you all, I wasn't offered a scholarship until May last year. It came after I had already committed to Berkeley. It was actually a really substantial amount which was a nice surprise but I had already decided I was going to Boalt no matter what.[/quote]

Thanks for this info! Was the scholarship you were offered in may a need based grant, or merit? And just to clarify further, was it a matching scholarship?

boaltbear

New

Post by boaltbear » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 am

kolokena wrote:
boaltbear wrote: Just to confirm this for you all, I wasn't offered a scholarship until May last year. It came after I had already committed to Berkeley. It was actually a really substantial amount which was a nice surprise but I had already decided I was going to Boalt no matter what.
Thanks for this info! Was the scholarship you were offered in may a need based grant, or merit? And just to clarify further, was it a matching scholarship?
I believe it was merit. I had submitted matching scholarship info but the amount did not exactly match any of those so I am not sure if it was matching or not. The emails and forms I signed accepting it did not indicate it was matching but it could have been.

Also, this has not been talked about much on TLS but it is definitely worth mentioning that Boalt has been drastically reducing its class size.

292 for c/o 2013
254 for c/o 2014 (my amazing classmates)
235 is the projected class size for 2015 (this is you guys :D )

The actual reason for the reduction has to do with faculty retirement and class coverage but it will significantly enhance your job prospects. Less Boalt grads during OCI is a great thing for those of you that want big law. Many firms are use to hiring at least a couple Boalt grads every year and this reduction in the supply of Boalt grads can only benefit your class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 am

Anyone know what the likelihood of matching scholarships depends on? School? Amount? Submission date?

I submitted mine like February 20 and would really, really like to go to Boalt, but I'm beginning to think it just isn't feasible at sticker price.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:07 pm

boaltbear wrote:
kolokena wrote:
boaltbear wrote: Just to confirm this for you all, I wasn't offered a scholarship until May last year. It came after I had already committed to Berkeley. It was actually a really substantial amount which was a nice surprise but I had already decided I was going to Boalt no matter what.
I believe it was merit. I had submitted matching scholarship info but the amount did not exactly match any of those so I am not sure if it was matching or not. The emails and forms I signed accepting it did not indicate it was matching but it could have been.

Also, this has not been talked about much on TLS but it is definitely worth mentioning that Boalt has been drastically reducing its class size.

292 for c/o 2013
254 for c/o 2014 (my amazing classmates)
235 is the projected class size for 2015 (this is you guys :D )

The actual reason for the reduction has to do with faculty retirement and class coverage but it will significantly enhance your job prospects. Less Boalt grads during OCI is a great thing for those of you that want big law. Many firms are use to hiring at least a couple Boalt grads every year and this reduction in the supply of Boalt grads can only benefit your class.
This made my day. Have they commented on this push at all in the school? It seems like BerkeleyLaw has been busting their ass to make wide sweeping changes in their program. I had read somewhere that they were increasing faculty numbers like crazy.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Haven't submitted need-based aid forms. Is it too late? I'm quite confused as to how Berkeley decides who demonstrates financial need. if i don't have a scholarship for berkeley to match and my numbers are around median, does that mean i'm probs out for merit aid? so far, $0 from berkeley

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Geneva wrote:Haven't submitted need-based aid forms. Is it too late? I'm quite confused as to how Berkeley decides who demonstrates financial need. if i don't have a scholarship for berkeley to match and my numbers are around median, does that mean i'm probs out for merit aid? so far, $0 from berkeley
I got merit aid with not-so-stellar numbers. WE and public-interest credentials were probably an important factor in my case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Do we need to submit needs-based forms to be considered for merit-based aid?

DBishops

New

Post by DBishops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Has anyone sent in their official transcript? I haven't. I really hope that isn't required to assess merit based aid!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Tickets booked...soooo excited!

DBishops

New

Post by DBishops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:27 pm

DBishops wrote:Has anyone sent in their official transcript? I haven't. I really hope that isn't required to assess merit based aid!
Also. It seems that people posting about past years were able to submit multiple schools for matching scholarships? Did the rule that you can only submit one just come out this year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”