Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
SaintFond

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2015

Post by SaintFond » Mon May 07, 2012 2:52 pm

poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:
poe wrote:Anyone else put in an application for International House? It really seems like the most convenient option - right next to the law school, has its own library, meal plan included, etc. And it could be nice to be part of a community that isn't 100% law students, lol.

My only concern is that I'll be out-of-place as a non-international student. :|
I used to work there in dining services when I was at Berkeley for UG.

I hear the rooms aren't anything special, but you're right, it's convenient. Plus you get to meet and fraternize with a lot of nice people and they have activities and themed dinners all the time.

I'd say it's worth it if you can afford it.
Did you get any sense for how many of the residents there are non-international?
Couldn't tell you for sure, although obviously International students are predominant. Perhaps the I-House website has data on this kind of thing?

Honestly, if you're considering the I-House, I wouldn't let the % of non International house members be a factor. The only real issues with the I-house are that it's expensive and the rooms aren't necessarily the best. Some people have complained about the food there too before, but I personally thought it was good.

I-House has a good location. It's right across from the law school and situated among a bunch of frat/sorority houses and co-ops and all that. It also has its own cafe attached to it which serves snacks, sandwiches and alcohol. Also right nearby the field/arena if you're interested in sports games and all that jazz.

Very pretty (and typically rich) international women. Bourgeois beauties. My coworker and I would ogle them through the tray return window. Everyone seemed really friendly too.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

SaintFond wrote:
Very pretty (and typically rich) international women. Bourgeois beauties.
Sold.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm

So should I be giving up hope of merit money from Berkeley at this point? Boooooo

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Mon May 07, 2012 3:36 pm

mushybrain wrote:So should I be giving up hope of merit money from Berkeley at this point? Boooooo
It's looking that way. I wish they would just tell us definitively, one way or the other.

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

poe wrote:
mushybrain wrote:So should I be giving up hope of merit money from Berkeley at this point? Boooooo
It's looking that way. I wish they would just tell us definitively, one way or the other.
Word.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Mon May 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Same. I read somewhere that they tell you if you get nothing, but I think that was probably just re matching scholarships. Watch them officially declare we get nothing in August.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

After submitting the June 1st intent to enroll from...does Berkeley send a seat "deposit" confirmation?

I need to send a copy in for an internship I applied for and dont know whether to way or contact them for it. Submitted June 1st form today.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Neatrends wrote:After submitting the June 1st intent to enroll from...does Berkeley send a seat "deposit" confirmation?

I need to send a copy in for an internship I applied for and dont know whether to way or contact them for it. Submitted June 1st form today.
I was told that it takes them a week to process your request in the system. Anyway, call them and ask them if you can get a some type of confirmation for your internship.

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 pm

I (unexpectedly) received an offer today. Don't give up!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 12:52 pm

JF215 wrote:
Do you mind if I ask how long ago you submitted the application?

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm

JF215 wrote:
did you commit to Boalt before they made the offer?

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:12 pm

SaintFond wrote:
JF215 wrote:
Do you mind if I ask how long ago you submitted the application?
Submitted my app between 4-6 weeks ago. Didn't do the matching scholarship process.
lblelalr wrote:
JF215 wrote:
did you commit to Boalt before they made the offer?
I didn't. Still "tentative".

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Wait, are you saying your scholarship isn't a matching one?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Tue May 08, 2012 3:35 pm

SaintFond wrote:Wait, are you saying your scholarship isn't a matching one?
i think he got a named one. sorry for being a creeper but looking through his other posts, i think he's a URM so that might have something to do with it too? most of the named scholarships seem geared towards diverse applicants

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm

lblelalr wrote:
i think he got a named one. sorry for being a creeper but looking through his other posts, i think he's a URM so that might have something to do with it too? most of the named scholarships seem geared towards diverse applicants
Berkeley = crazy about URMs

Trust me

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm

By the way, does anyone if know if Berkeley's "tentative acceptance" gets revealed on May 15th by LSAC? I guess I could call tomorrow and find out, but if anyone has already spoken to them and knows the answer...

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything about matching scholarships?

I have to send in a second deposit for another school on the 14th, and I am worried they will be pissed if they see that I have a tentative acceptance at Berkeley.

This is getting annoying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Wed May 09, 2012 7:14 pm

SaintFond wrote:Has anyone heard anything about matching scholarships?

I have to send in a second deposit for another school on the 14th, and I am worried they will be pissed if they see that I have a tentative acceptance at Berkeley.

So did you confirm that the "tentative acceptance" gets revealed by LSAC?

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 pm

poe wrote:
SaintFond wrote:Has anyone heard anything about matching scholarships?

So did you confirm that the "tentative acceptance" gets revealed by LSAC?
I actually called about this an hour ago. The girl on the other end seemed clueless. She put me on hold briefly to ask someone, hopefully her supervisor, but she wasn't able to provide any additional information. She told me to ask LSAC, which I suppose makes sense, since they are the ones "revealing" the deposits/acceptances after all. I'm probably going to ask them tomorrow.

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm

lblelalr wrote:
not a named scholarship, but yeah. didn't know you guys were only referring to matching $.

also, not a guy.

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 pm

JF215 wrote:
lblelalr wrote:
not a named scholarship, but yeah. didn't know you guys were only referring to matching $.

also, not a guy.
what? it wasn't a named scholarship and it wasn't a matching? I thought those were the only merit scholarships Boalt offered

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Thu May 10, 2012 5:58 pm

So I spoke with the lady in charge of matching scholarships. She told me that at this point, all available funds have been offered, yet since not everyone who has been offered a matching scholarship will take it, some additional funds may become available between now and May 15 (May 15 is the deposit deadline at other schools, I take it) as scholarship offers expire. If I recall correctly, she said that they hope to have all matching scholarship offers sent out by May 15 or thereabouts, so early next week.

EDIT: Also I guess I should point out that she could have been lying to me to spare my feelings or something. I doubt it, but the thought did occur to me, and it's possible. Either way, I (or we) will probably find out over the next week.
Last edited by SaintFond on Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voldemort

New

Post by Voldemort » Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Why is it that UCLA has so much money to give, yet UCB does not?

SaintFond

Bronze

Post by SaintFond » Thu May 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Voldemort wrote:Why is it that UCLA has so much money to give, yet UCB does not?
I could be wrong, but I think UCLA or UCLA law had some kind of major donation/fundraiser type thing which met or exceeded expectations. I already forget why I seem to think that though.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

So we may not know about matching scholarships until May 15? Looks like we'll be forced to make a decision before knowing for sure, since that's the day LSAC will report double deposits (assuming that the "tentative acceptance" does, in fact, count for those purposes).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”