Columbia Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
smokeylarue

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 am

I think its ridiculously douchey for a student in any type of school to have a business card lol.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 am

smokeylarue wrote:I think its ridiculously douchey for a student in any type of school to have a business card lol.

Totally agree. If you want to network, just get the other person's card and e-mail them. A student having a business card for being a student is just...

roserdozer

Postby roserdozer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Just withdrew from NYU and am joining Columbia c/o 2015- anyone want to give me advice on the most desirable housing options that might still be available?

crooked

Postby crooked » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:34 pm

roserdozer wrote:Just withdrew from NYU and am joining Columbia c/o 2015- anyone want to give me advice on the most desirable housing options that might still be available?

I've got nothing for you on the housing front, but congratulations and welcome!!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:58 pm

roserdozer wrote:Just withdrew from NYU and am joining Columbia c/o 2015- anyone want to give me advice on the most desirable housing options that might still be available?

Honestly, no idea. There might still be some housing open through the university? Worth a shot to apply to that, I guess.

If not, then you can either (a) search for roommates in more expensive areas of Manhattan (preferably something near the 1 train for easiest access, though the AC trains also work -- you just have to go through/around Morningside Park) or (b) get something north of 168th and west of Broadway (Western Washington Heights and Inwood) for the cheapest and safest neighborhoods.

North of 125th and west of Amsterdam up to 155th + north of 155th and west of Broadway up to 165th would be a little sketchier, but still acceptable. Whatever you do, avoid Northern Harlem (East of Frederick Douglass and North of 132nd) and East Harlem (East of Lexington and north of 105th or so) like the plague (by far the most dangerous areas of Harlem). Central Harlem and Eastern Washington Heights/Inwood are going to be on the sketchier side, but is doable if you have street smarts.

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Congratulations - I know some other recently admitted students are looking for roommates. I would try posting in the CLS 2015 facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/189365827821055/

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 pm

bhan87 wrote:
Bronck wrote:One guy on the FB group is asking about law school business cards lololol. Facepalm.

Surprisingly useful in certain situations, but not until your 1L summer. I think it'd be awkward to show up to the Spring firm receptions with business cards. However, for those that will be in a very good position to network with lots of firms over their summer employment, they come in real handy.

I finally had to get business cards last year and they have been incredibly useful.

It does seem a little pretentious for 1L. I could see myself getting some after clinics/jobs - anywhere you need to actually interacting with people outside the classroom

Side note - any tips on the best way to forward Columbia mail to my personal inbox?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:21 pm

On my phone, but just google it bro. That's what I did and there are some easy and quick guides.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Side note - any tips on the best way to forward Columbia mail to my personal inbox?

Gmail? Just go to settings and add it in "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)".

roserdozer

Postby roserdozer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Bronck wrote:

Honestly, no idea. There might still be some housing open through the university? Worth a shot to apply to that, I guess.

If not, then you can either (a) search for roommates in more expensive areas of Manhattan (preferably something near the 1 train for easiest access, though the AC trains also work -- you just have to go through/around Morningside Park) or (b) get something north of 168th and west of Broadway (Western Washington Heights and Inwood) for the cheapest and safest neighborhoods.

North of 125th and west of Amsterdam up to 155th + north of 155th and west of Broadway up to 165th would be a little sketchier, but still acceptable. Whatever you do, avoid Northern Harlem (East of Frederick Douglass and North of 132nd) and East Harlem (East of Lexington and north of 105th or so) like the plague (by far the most dangerous areas of Harlem). Central Harlem and Eastern Washington Heights/Inwood are going to be on the sketchier side, but is doable if you have street smarts.

Huge thanks for the tips. I'll stick around on the housing waitlist but im not getting my hopes up.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm

shumpshump wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:Side note - any tips on the best way to forward Columbia mail to my personal inbox?

Gmail? Just go to settings and add it in "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)".

This is one option, but I recommend using Columbia's forwarding system because Gmail's POP3 system only pings the Columbia mail servers once an hour. Columbia's forwarding system, on the other hand, instantly just redirects all your incoming email to Gmail.

On a related note, if you go to the Accounts tab under Gmail settings, you can set up Gmail to send out using your Columbia and Columbia Law emails as well.

theaether

Postby theaether » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:02 pm

bhan87 wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

This is one option, but I recommend using Columbia's forwarding system because Gmail's POP3 system only pings the Columbia mail servers once an hour. Columbia's forwarding system, on the other hand, instantly just redirects all your incoming email to Gmail.

On a related note, if you go to the Accounts tab under Gmail settings, you can set up Gmail to send out using your Columbia and Columbia Law emails as well.

where'd you get the columbia law login info from? i only have the xyz123@columbia.edu login info

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 pm

I think the law account just auto forwards to your regular Columbia inbox (and then to gmail if you have that set up).

Test it out, should be firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu

theaether

Postby theaether » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:10 pm

jetissent wrote:I think the law account just auto forwards to your regular Columbia inbox (and then to gmail if you have that set up).

hmm you sure? I had the same idea and sent a test email to the law.columbia address 5 days ago but it never came through to columbia.edu mail or gmail

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 pm

theaether wrote:
jetissent wrote:I think the law account just auto forwards to your regular Columbia inbox (and then to gmail if you have that set up).

hmm you sure? I had the same idea and sent a test email to the law.columbia address 5 days ago but it never came through to columbia.edu mail or gmail

This should be true (at least this is always how it's worked for me). It might be that your law.columbia.edu address is not yet activated.

By the way, setting things up to go to Gmail is easily the best thing to do. Dealing with the Columbia mail system just creates headaches.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Hmm weird. I have a successful test email in my gmail from a few weeks ago(using the law acct), but when I just retried now it didn't go through. I didn't get an undeliverable message or the email. Something is wonky. Maybe there is a significant delay for some reason...?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 am

I just tested mine again. Works fine for me.

And yes, if you send something to the law.columbia.edu address, it sends it to your regular columbia.edu account inbox.

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 am

bhan87 wrote:
theaether wrote:

This should be true (at least this is always how it's worked for me). It might be that your law.columbia.edu address is not yet activated.

By the way, setting things up to go to Gmail is easily the best thing to do. Dealing with the Columbia mail system just creates headaches.

I have my gmail synced to Apple mail for convenience, so I did the same thing with my CLS account and it worked seamlessly.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Cool, I'll set up forwarding. I figured there's no reason to worry about storage space with cubmail....I'm surprised Columbia hasn't switched to gmail yet

iu_transfer

Postby iu_transfer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm transferring to CLS this fall and am looking for housing. If anyone is looking to fill a spot let me know

Postby 0000001 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 am

Question - is there still decently priced graduate housing available? From everyone's posts it looks like their isn't.

But when I spoke to the Dean and was offered a spot off the waitlist last week I was told that there would be some grad housing still available - which was actually a big factor for me cause I still have to get out of my current lease and move cross country in two weeks, and won't really have time to look for a place. I'm giving them my decision tomorrow and want to make sure that I will actually be able to get a place if I decide to go to Columbia...

Thanks! And I hope it works out and I can actually join the Class of 2015!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 am

I have no idea, but I reckon you could call UAH and ask?

University Apartment Housing (UAH)
Phone: (212) 854-9300

You can also try calling Juliana (housing liaison for CLS) at 212-854-2343.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Predictions on when schedules will be online? I'm going to try to stop compulsively checking...until Monday.

crooked

Postby crooked » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

jetissent wrote:Predictions on when schedules will be online? I'm going to try to stop compulsively checking...until Monday.

SO glad it's not just me!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I've been checking it occasionally as well. But I figure someone even more compulsive than me will post when they appear (on here and/or on the FB group) :lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”