Columbia Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
icedflames

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Post by icedflames » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm just putting the pic in for the profile. I'd rather use the pic I took of me in business attire rather than a picture of me in regular clothing during orientation

ETA: I think that's what happens if we don't have one by tomorrow night

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:53 pm

You can also wear business attire to orientation of course :wink:

blue_c

Bronze

Post by blue_c » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I thought tuxedoes were part of the orientation packet.
Elliott_Smith wrote:Anyone actually filling out lawnet profiles? I need to get a photo up asap
I just filled out the stuff I thought was useful. Address, phone #, email. Not my interests or hobbies though. Lawnet =/= OKCupid.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

blue_c wrote:I thought tuxedoes were part of the orientation packet.
Elliott_Smith wrote:Anyone actually filling out lawnet profiles? I need to get a photo up asap
I just filled out the stuff I thought was useful. Address, phone #, email. Not my interests or hobbies though. Lawnet =/= OKCupid.
:( Thought we were going to find our soulmates through Lawnet

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:53 am

Bronck wrote:
blue_c wrote:I thought tuxedoes were part of the orientation packet.
:( Thought we were going to find our soulmates through Lawnet
I was told this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue_c

Bronze

Post by blue_c » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

Bronck wrote::( Thought we were going to find our soulmates through Lawnet
I just meant for that for myself.

But now that you've said it I feel you have to get at least 1 date off Lawnet. Good luck. I expect a full report of the date.

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Has anyone else been reeeeaaally bored the last few days? I have a feeling that these last couple weeks before I move to NY are going to be real slow.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Anyone else sign up for the volunteer day thing? Seems like a nice way to meet classmates before class starts.
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Has anyone else been reeeeaaally bored the last few days? I have a feeling that these last couple weeks before I move to NY are going to be real slow.
*Raises Hand*
I'm semi-bored but also semi-excited. I think having a full time job helps me keep my sanity while waiting.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Has anyone else been reeeeaaally bored the last few days? I have a feeling that these last couple weeks before I move to NY are going to be real slow.
Extremely bored... counting down the days.

And no, haven't signed up for the volunteer day thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Bronck wrote:

I signed up for it, should be fun.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Yeah, I should probably get on that soon. Can't imagine I'll be doing anything else that day since I'm going to try to get all the errands done the first few days I'm there.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Yep, plus can't go wrong with the free food afterwards.

ETA: Also, I figure volunteering will help me land a soul mate gig if I strike out at the lawnet soul mate EIP.
Last edited by KevinP on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Woah, free food. Totally going to be awesome

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blue_c

Bronze

Post by blue_c » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Do you remember where we can sign up for it?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 am

blue_c wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Do you remember where we can sign up for it?
I think we can sign up for it through the orientation website?

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

Bronck wrote:
blue_c wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Do you remember where we can sign up for it?
I think we can sign up for it through the orientation website?
Yep! Just signed up!

Did you guys see the Yankee Stadium softball game? It says spots are limited so do you guys know whether we can sign up now? It sounds great!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Woah, Yankee Stadium softball game!?

And, I was looking at the FAQ: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... ishedUnits
Responsibilities of tenant:

Linens
Dishes, cutlery, cooking utensils
Air conditioners
Dishwashers - Only available at The Arbor
Area rugs - Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease.
Surely not everyone has to purchase an air conditioner for their unit :? ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Bronck wrote:Woah, Yankee Stadium softball game!?

And, I was looking at the FAQ: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... ishedUnits
Responsibilities of tenant:

Linens
Dishes, cutlery, cooking utensils
Air conditioners
Dishwashers - Only available at The Arbor
Area rugs - Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease.
Surely not everyone has to purchase an air conditioner for their unit :? ?
Yeah, unfortunately, as far as I know none of the units are air conditioned. If you want AC you have to actually hire a professional to window mount it as well, apparently the supers don't do it either...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote: Yeah, unfortunately, as far as I know none of the units are air conditioned. If you want AC you have to actually hire a professional to window mount it as well, apparently the supers don't do it either...
Yikes. I'm guessing that it's worth it to get AC hooked up (i.e., there won't be any central heating mechanism to keep the place cool during the summer)? If so, do you have any idea how much it would cost?

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Bronck wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote: Yeah, unfortunately, as far as I know none of the units are air conditioned. If you want AC you have to actually hire a professional to window mount it as well, apparently the supers don't do it either...
Yikes. I'm guessing that it's worth it to get AC hooked up (i.e., there won't be any central heating mechanism to keep the place cool during the summer)? If so, do you have any idea how much it would cost?
No clue on the cost. Yeah there's no central air and heat is old-school, radiators and the like. No thermostats either (at least in my building) temps are the same everywhere in the building.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
No clue on the cost. Yeah there's no central air and heat is old-school, radiators and the like. No thermostats either (at least in my building) temps are the same everywhere in the building.

Hmm, OK, this is good to know. Just looked on Amazon, and it looks like solid air conditioners can be had for around $130 or so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheRedMamba

Bronze

Post by TheRedMamba » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am

Bronck wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Hmm, OK, this is good to know. Just looked on Amazon, and it looks like solid air conditioners can be had for around $130 or so.
I moved in this week and I had to buy an AC for my room. $130 sounds about right...of course you can pay more or less depending on what you want (efficiency, noise etc.). However, NY state law requires that you install the AC with a bracket on the window which runs about $40-50 and installation is about $40-50 as well. I bought my AC from a place called PC Richard's but I highly recommend having the local hardware store on broadway and 113th (I think, could be off by a block or so) install it. Really helpful guys in there and they don't give you a 4 hour window for installation like the bigger commercial appliance stores do.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:00 pm

not advocating starting your law school career by breaking the law :wink: but I had my super put in my unit last year, no bracket, no cost. Then I took it out, put it in another window, no bracket, no cost. If you've done it before, it's not any different in NYC. Just a thought.

blue_c

Bronze

Post by blue_c » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 pm

kwais wrote:not advocating starting your law school career by breaking the law :wink: but I had my super put in my unit last year, no bracket, no cost. Then I took it out, put it in another window, no bracket, no cost. If you've done it before, it's not any different in NYC. Just a thought.
This will be a new experience for me. In Houston (and everywhere else I've lived) no building is without central Heating and Cooling.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:39 pm

blue_c wrote:
kwais wrote:not advocating starting your law school career by breaking the law :wink: but I had my super put in my unit last year, no bracket, no cost. Then I took it out, put it in another window, no bracket, no cost. If you've done it before, it's not any different in NYC. Just a thought.
This will be a new experience for me. In Houston (and everywhere else I've lived) no building is without central Heating and Cooling.
I always wondered about why they don't install those systems, but I guess it would mess with the architecture? or something of that nature.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”