Columbia Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
crooked

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Post by crooked » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:58 pm

jetissent wrote:From the orientation site:

"Legal Methods, a three-week course for incoming 1Ls which serves as an introduction to the law and legal education, begins on Monday, Aug. 20 and will run through Sept. 6. The first semester Foundation Curriculum classes (Contracts, Torts and Civil Procedure) will begin on September 10."

Does this mean we all will be taking those three first sem? Kinda cool to know. Most schools I visited said the courses would depend on which section you ended up in.
Looks like it: https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... riculum/1l

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:01 pm

"Legal Methods, a three-week course for incoming 1Ls which serves as an introduction to the law and legal education, begins on Monday, Aug. 20 and will run through Sept. 6. The first semester Foundation Curriculum classes (Contracts, Torts and Civil Procedure) will begin on September 10."

Does this mean we all will be taking those three first sem? Kinda cool to know. Most schools I visited said the courses would depend on which section you ended up in.
Nevermind, she said:
It was an experiment last year, looks like they're not doing it this year

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah somewhere on that site or in the binder, it lists the classes we'll all be taking 1L (except of course the elective spring 1L)

ETA:
The Fall

Legal Methods, the centerpiece of the Foundation Curriculum, serves as an introduction to legal institutions and processes, as well as to the skills necessary in the professional use of case law and legislation

Legal Practice Workshop I, which provides training in the analysis of legal problems and in the hands-on use of a variety of legal materials

Civil Procedure, which establishes the fundamental aspects of the civil litigation process in the United States

Contracts, which provides a thorough introduction to the law of contracts, including the examination of fraud and the bargaining process, and among other things

Torts, which introduces our students to non-contractual wrongs for which private compensation is sought under the common law

The Spring

Foundation Year Moot Court, which represents, for some, their first practical exposure to the dynamics of a courtroom

Constitutional Law, which introduces students to constitutional law, providing a foundation for more specialized courses on the Constitution and for public law courses generally

Criminal Law, which explores major problems of the criminal law and its administration, with an emphasis on the issues that necessarily arise in the formation and application of a satisfactory penal code

Legal Practice Workshop II, which serves as a continuation of the research, writing, and analysis skills built in Legal Practice Workshop I

Property, which poses fundamental questions about efficiency and fairness in dealing with ownership that are mediated through the legal system

First-Year Elective, which provides our students with the opportunity to explore the vast breadth and depth of our curriculum as early as their first year. Some examples include: Foundations of the Regulatory State, Principles of Intellectual Property, and The United States and the International Legal System
From what I've read, it seems like spring has the more difficult classes (con and crim law)

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Ah guess I should have read that handbook more thoroughly! Oh well, I am kind of excited for Civ Pro. I've hear its a pain but it was my favorite of the mock classes/classes I visited during the cycle. That'll probably change when it's a whole semester long though.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Yikes, shipping boxes across country is more expensive than I thought... Definitely going to have to be strategic in how I stuff my carry-ons / stow-away luggage.

If I toss the PS3 into my carry-on suitcase, will I have to take that out at security (basically, do they treat it like a laptop)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Bronck wrote:Yikes, shipping boxes across country is more expensive than I thought... Definitely going to have to be strategic in how I stuff my carry-ons / stow-away luggage.

If I toss the PS3 into my carry-on suitcase, will I have to take that out at security (basically, do they treat it like a laptop)?
Yeah, it looks like you will have to take it out: http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-w ... s-and.html

Anyone know the fax number we send our immunization records to?

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

jetissent wrote:
Bronck wrote:Yikes, shipping boxes across country is more expensive than I thought... Definitely going to have to be strategic in how I stuff my carry-ons / stow-away luggage.

Yeah, it looks like you will have to take it out: http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-w ... s-and.html

Anyone know the fax number we send our immunization records to?
It's on the form.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Opps, thought I was just faxing my old college record over didn't read the form thoroughly--thanks.

Anyone else living in Lionsgate? I just visited my apartment last weekend--super excited. I think the units are all pretty similar so if you've got any questions about them let me know.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 pm

So, the waiver request form says:

"The policy year maximum benefit for my coverage is at least $300,000 per condition with no per incident maximums. "

And my dad gave me the sheet for mine which says: "Total Benefit Maximum, per coverage year, 150,000." I guess that means I don't qualify for that requirement eh? Still worth a shot to ask for a waiver, I suppose....

ETA: Nevermind, you get an error if you do that:
Sorry. Your insurance waiver request cannot be accepted until you fix the following error(s)

Please affirm that you currently carry health insurance coverage that meets all of the conditions, and you are accepting full financial responsibility.
Gah, looks like I have to waste 2k a year on health insurance through them...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Istayedhere

New

Post by Istayedhere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 am

Does anyone know when the 2012 Fall term tuition balance needs to be paid by? The CLS website says "by mid-September," but I'm not sure if that applies to 1L that starts mid-August.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:02 pm

So we can see which profs are teaching the first year classes, when they meet, exam type, and books required but without knowing which section we're in it's all useless. Boo.

Work was painfully slow today, haha.

quaker10

Bronze

Post by quaker10 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm

jetissent wrote:So we can see which profs are teaching the first year classes, when they meet, exam type, and books required but without knowing which section we're in it's all useless. Boo.

Work was painfully slow today, haha.
Ooh la la - where?

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I seem to remember that we don't get our sections until we show up for orientation — does anyone know if that's the case? Or is the information available in advance online? It would be nice to be able to obsess about my schedule before showing up on day one :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Sorry I am on my phone so I can only give half an answer but here is the civ pro schedule:http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/L61 ... -procedure

If you click each section you can see info about exam type and required texts.

There is also an excel doc with the full Fall 2012 course schedule that I was looking at this afternoon. Found it using the sites search feature.

Also if you log into coursenet (same log on info as lawnet)I'd assume once sections are decided you could see your schedule there before orientation. Mine is still blank as of this afternoon

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Totally unrelated, but if you check lawnet, we now have our @law.columbia.edu email addresses. Not sure how we access it, but it appears to be there

quaker10

Bronze

Post by quaker10 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 am

Bronck wrote:Totally unrelated, but if you check lawnet, we now have our @law.columbia.edu email addresses. Not sure how we access it, but it appears to be there
Any idea why we have @columbia.edu and @law.columbia.edu?

quaker10

Bronze

Post by quaker10 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 am

jetissent wrote:Sorry I am on my phone so I can only give half an answer but here is the civ pro schedule:http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/L61 ... -procedure

If you click each section you can see info about exam type and required texts.

There is also an excel doc with the full Fall 2012 course schedule that I was looking at this afternoon. Found it using the sites search feature.

Also if you log into coursenet (same log on info as lawnet)I'd assume once sections are decided you could see your schedule there before orientation. Mine is still blank as of this afternoon
Thanks! I followed your link then just generally searched for all "Foundational" courses. That gives you the entire 1L fall schedule, including Legal Methods, which is 2x per day, 5 days per week :o

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am

quaker10 wrote:
Bronck wrote:Totally unrelated, but if you check lawnet, we now have our @law.columbia.edu email addresses. Not sure how we access it, but it appears to be there
Any idea why we have @columbia.edu and @law.columbia.edu?
The @law one is a vanity email. Looks better. Easier to remember in passing than the jumble that is your uni

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 am

Glancing at the foundation schedule, compared to last year, you guys are missing some good ones, but also missing some landmines as well. I've heard Cleveland is good. She didn't teach last year because she was working at Dept. of State. Pray you get Liebman for torts. Great teacher, great guy. Rapa for torts on the other hand, had students ready to riot. All in all, a great bunch for the fall.

TheRedMamba

Bronze

Post by TheRedMamba » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:45 am

Random Question: What's the basketball game between NYU/CLS like? How competitive? Do people care about it or is it largely ignored?

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 am

Can someone tell me the difference between insurance company name and insurance group name (for filling out the insurance waiver request). Also where can I find the tuition charges and all that financial stuff thats been charged to my account?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Can someone tell me the difference between insurance company name and insurance group name (for filling out the insurance waiver request). Also where can I find the tuition charges and all that financial stuff thats been charged to my account?
The insurance company is the company that gives you insurance and the group is the coverage group that you're in. For example your insurance company would be Aetna and then your group would be indicated by a serial number (not the same as your insurance ID, confusing I know). All of that information should be on your insurance card.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:55 pm

as
Last edited by lakers3peat on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue_c

Bronze

Post by blue_c » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 am

Finally finished everything I've been putting off. CBT, immunization record, insurance waiver, etc. Guess there's nothing to do but wait. Feels weird.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

For some reason, the @law.columbia.edu made my day. It might be time to add CLS to the ol' resume.

Anyone actually filling out lawnet profiles? I need to get a photo up asap

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”