Columbia Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kwais

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby kwais » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 pm

icedflames wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I thought I needed a Dean's Cert from a JC where I took just one class but I checked with Columbia and found out I don't. You only need the Dean's Cert. from a school which gave you a degree. Wanted to clear that up in case I misinformed anyone earlier.

Really?
The email I just received says that every school you matriculated for a degree. That's a bit ambiguous.

Do you think the same applies to transcripts? I was under the impression that it was only from the degree granting, but the email also says from which you transferred

unfortunately, I believe that this is the correct interpretation. I had to send all Dean Certs, not just degree-granting ones

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

kwais wrote:
icedflames wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I thought I needed a Dean's Cert from a JC where I took just one class but I checked with Columbia and found out I don't. You only need the Dean's Cert. from a school which gave you a degree. Wanted to clear that up in case I misinformed anyone earlier.

Really?
The email I just received says that every school you matriculated for a degree. That's a bit ambiguous.

Do you think the same applies to transcripts? I was under the impression that it was only from the degree granting, but the email also says from which you transferred

unfortunately, I believe that this is the correct interpretation. I had to send all Dean Certs, not just degree-granting ones

I guess go with the safe route and send them everything

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:51 pm

icedflames wrote:

Really?

I was confused too which is why I asked. Jill Nussbaum said that "We only need Dean's Certifications from schools at which you matriculated for a degree. If the class was transferred credit to your degree institution, then that is fine--it seems you did not matriculate towards a degree at the community college."

You can certainly ask them yourself if you think your situation is different. Ultimately I'm sure nothing would have been different had I found a way to get the Dean's Cert. from the CC. Just don't want anyone to waste unnecessary time.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
icedflames wrote:

Really?

I was confused too which is why I asked. Jill Nussbaum said that "We only need Dean's Certifications from schools at which you matriculated for a degree. If the class was transferred credit to your degree institution, then that is fine--it seems you did not matriculate towards a degree at the community college."

You can certainly ask them yourself if you think your situation is different. Ultimately I'm sure nothing would have been different had I found a way to get the Dean's Cert. from the CC. Just don't want anyone to waste unnecessary time.

Oh, I thought you were just interpreting the language. If that's what they said, then you are all set. Lucky too, maybe I did a bunch of running around for nothing

crooked

Postby crooked » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Back to the housing obsessing:

Julianna's voicemail still says she's getting back from vacation June 5. Has anyone spoken to her in the past two days? I also tried calling the main housing number but they just put me through to someone else's voicemail and I'd like to talk to a human. Basically I'm trying to figure out how screwed for options I am, how likely they are to place me in the Bronx and whether I need to start looking off campus.

jungminnee

Postby jungminnee » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 pm

crooked wrote:Back to the housing obsessing:

Julianna's voicemail still says she's getting back from vacation June 5. Has anyone spoken to her in the past two days? I also tried calling the main housing number but they just put me through to someone else's voicemail and I'd like to talk to a human. Basically I'm trying to figure out how screwed for options I am, how likely they are to place me in the Bronx and whether I need to start looking off campus.

I emailed her on the 4th and she got back to me on the 5th. If calling doesn't work, maybe emailing would?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 pm

kwais wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
icedflames wrote:

Really?

Oh, I thought you were just interpreting the language. If that's what they said, then you are all set. Lucky too, maybe I did a bunch of running around for nothing

This seems like a very narrow exception (in that it was a community college where you only took credits, but did not intend to earn a degree there). I transferred during undergrad and I had to provide a deans cert for both schools, because I had matriculated for my BA at the first school (though I didn't graduate). Note, also, that exception only applies to the deans cert. You have to provide a transcript from every school you attended, even if it wasn't for a degree and you did not graduate. I got screwed by that - the Registrar put a freeze on my Lawnet account right at the time I needed to register for spring electives.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 am

Okay, I contacted housing today, and they told me that my apartment has ethernet set up already with the zero charge indicating that the charge is already included in my rent.
I'm not entirely sure if this applies to everyone since I only asked about my apartment.

Also, I was told my studio is a bit over 200 square feet, is that small? I have no idea. Does that number include the bathroom?

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 am

crooked wrote:Back to the housing obsessing:

I called yesterday and they told me that once they've received my application (which they did on Tuesday) there is no way of knowing when I get my assignment. The law school liasion (is that Julianna?) reviews batches every week but no guarantees on which batch you will be in. *sigh*

theaether

Postby theaether » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm

icedflames wrote:Also, I was told my studio is a bit over 200 square feet, is that small? I have no idea. Does that number include the bathroom?

lol, depends if you grew up somewhere like texas. most people though, will be surprised when they walk into that 200 sq ft NYC apartment. that much i can say, hahaha

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 pm

icedflames wrote:Okay, I contacted housing today, and they told me that my apartment has ethernet set up already with the zero charge indicating that the charge is already included in my rent.
I'm not entirely sure if this applies to everyone since I only asked about my apartment.

Also, I was told my studio is a bit over 200 square feet, is that small? I have no idea. Does that number include the bathroom?

If you have a tape measure, use that to visualize it. 200 sq ft is not bad at all.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:Okay, I contacted housing today, and they told me that my apartment has ethernet set up already with the zero charge indicating that the charge is already included in my rent.

If you have a tape measure, use that to visualize it. 200 sq ft is not bad at all.

It's like a dorm room, not an apartment.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:08 pm

I've lived in smaller for periods of time, so that's why I don't think it's too bad :lol:

johnlawrence430

Postby johnlawrence430 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Last edited by johnlawrence430 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Just follow the instructions.

It tells you step by step what you're supposed to do. And filling out that part isn't a step. So no.

bluthbanana

Postby bluthbanana » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Single student here and I just got a studio in lions. I was hoping for a one-bedroom, but I'm pretty shocked by the price. I am worried, however, about getting left with no housing at all should I decline. Any thoughts on whether the extra cost is actually worth it?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 pm

bluthbanana wrote:Single student here and I just got a studio in lions. I was hoping for a one-bedroom, but I'm pretty shocked by the price. I am worried, however, about getting left with no housing at all should I decline. Any thoughts on whether the extra cost is actually worth it?

How much are they charging, how big is the space, what amenities are available? PM me if you want.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 am

bluthbanana wrote:Single student here and I just got a studio in lions. I was hoping for a one-bedroom, but I'm pretty shocked by the price. I am worried, however, about getting left with no housing at all should I decline. Any thoughts on whether the extra cost is actually worth it?

NYC is expensive. Unless you want to live much further away, just accept it because you're likely paying lower than market price for your apartment. IMO being close to school will be really helpful for 1L year so just bite the cost.

crooked

Postby crooked » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 am

Got my housing assignment and I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately, it's furnished, and my preference would be to never sleep in an extra-long twin bed again. Does anyone know if there's anything we can do about the furnishings?

Also, what's the CW on picking a move-in date? As early as possible, as late as possible, etc.?

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 am

crooked wrote:Got my housing assignment and I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately, it's furnished, and my preference would be to never sleep in an extra-long twin bed again. Does anyone know if there's anything we can do about the furnishings?

Also, what's the CW on picking a move-in date? As early as possible, as late as possible, etc.?

You could see if they could get rid of it or something, but I'm not sure if they are actually able and willing to do this.

Move-in date depends on how long it'll take you to move in and get used to the place.

Also, I believe the rent is prorated based on the date that you sign the lease/move in, so I opted to move in on the friday instead of the monday to save a few bucks. lol

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:29 am

crooked wrote:Got my housing assignment and I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately, it's furnished, and my preference would be to never sleep in an extra-long twin bed again. Does anyone know if there's anything we can do about the furnishings?

If you're not currently living in NYC, then earliest is best because that means you get to live in NYC earlier. :D

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question.

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 am

Hi!

I'm a current 3L at Cardozo and a Part-Time Real Estate Agent in the city! If any of you have any housing questions I'd be happy to answer them. I know what a struggle it can be to live in NYC on a law student budget! Feel free to shoot me a PM or an email at dani@tmrp.com! Good luck to everyone in the fall, also if you have any general law school questions, I might be able to give you some insight into the process, feel free to ask!

Dani

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 am

Depending on the building you're in, they might be willing to store it in the basement. I know it's common for people in my building to get new beds, and my super has a special place downstairs where he stores the horrible twin XLs.

Also, I'd say move in a couple days before orientation. There's usually some kind of activity the weekend before (when orientation is on Monday/Tuesday), but as you guys have orientation at the end of the week, arriving on Monday or Tuesday would probably be good. Then again, you're paying rent for the whole month of August anyway, so maybe you want to arrive earlier and have some fun in the city with other early classmates.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Last edited by smokeylarue on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”