Columbia Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby icedflames » Tue May 29, 2012 4:46 pm

blue_c wrote:
crooked wrote:Thanks for all the congrats. I feel very very behind and am only now starting my housing application...

When they get back to you within a week and you end up with a better place than Bronk I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

They will only attach a PDF if its for your exact apartment style, but sometimes they have one that's fairly close. I'd say its worth calling for, though I wouldn't wait for it to accept the offer.


Was the PDF attached on the UAH website (RTMS)? I'm probably going to call tomorrow to see if they can give me some kind of floorplan or at least dimensions.

I have no idea what furniture to get without any idea of the size of the place

User avatar
blue_c
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby blue_c » Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm

icedflames wrote:Was the PDF attached on the UAH website (RTMS)? I'm probably going to call tomorrow to see if they can give me some kind of floorplan or at least dimensions.

I have no idea what furniture to get without any idea of the size of the place

My housing assignment came with a link to the floorplan. Yeah, it was on the website. The page when it details all the information. One of the lines was:

Floor Plan (PDF): View

where view linked to it. I'm in lenfest, so the pdfs are readily available though.

Corrupty
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Corrupty » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

hibiki wrote:How are people from out of state planning on furnishing their apartment? I've never moved this far without having a car. I was looking at IKEA and the delivery charge doesn't seem too awful, but I'm sure there are other options.



I've been trying to work this one out myself for the last few days. I'm flying in on a red-eye, signing my lease and then I'm going to have to run around town that day to get furniture set up. My biggest concern is that I'm on the 10th floor, and I don't know if I can fit furniture into the elevator in these prewar buildings.

http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/ is cheapish wood furniture, with delivery, and they have a location a couple blocks south of the 103rd street subway station. I've heard that their furniture won't last a lot longer than IKEA would, but it seems nicer and is more convenient to Morningside Heights.

http://www.sleepys.com/ is a mattress store that has a location just south of campus, on 108th and Broadway. My original plan was to order my current mattress to be delivered on the day I moved from somewhere online, but it seems that they have discontinued it. If Sleepy's does same day delivery, they'll save me from sleeping on the floor that first night.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 pm

blue_c wrote:
crooked wrote:Thanks for all the congrats. I feel very very behind and am only now starting my housing application...

When they get back to you within a week and you end up with a better place than Bronk I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

They will only attach a PDF if its for your exact apartment style, but sometimes they have one that's fairly close. I'd say its worth calling for, though I wouldn't wait for it to accept the offer.


D:

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 pm

icedflames wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:Can someone link the immunization form? I didn't see it on the ASW


--LinkRemoved--

This is it right?


Also, does anyone know the procedure for insurance waiver? I found a short description, but no form or anything


I'm not sure, but I plan on emailing them about that soon. They respond EXTREMELY quickly. Like one day.

johnlawrence430
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby johnlawrence430 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Recently submitted my deposit and housing app. Now instead of constantly refreshing my email, i can focus on constantly refreshing my housing app status page.

User avatar
blue_c
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby blue_c » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Welcome to the fold JL. You and all 4 of your posts.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby smokeylarue » Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 am

Does anyone know if the UAH unfurnished units come with microwaves? I'm not looking forward to basically having to buy/move in everything (bed, furniture, etc)

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby icedflames » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

smokeylarue wrote:Does anyone know if the UAH unfurnished units come with microwaves? I'm not looking forward to basically having to buy/move in everything (bed, furniture, etc)


I would call UAH about what your apt comes with, but I was under the impression that only major appliances come with the place (refrigerator and stove)

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby kwais » Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am

icedflames wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Does anyone know if the UAH unfurnished units come with microwaves? I'm not looking forward to basically having to buy/move in everything (bed, furniture, etc)


I would call UAH about what your apt comes with, but I was under the impression that only major appliances come with the place (refrigerator and stove)


Microwaves will almost certainly not come with the apartment, however, each apartment can be a little different. Sometimes people leave things behind. I have a friend whose "unfurnished" apartment came with really nice couches. Before you make any common area purchases, you might want to drop an email to the outgoing tenants if you can get a hold of them.

User avatar
crooked
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby crooked » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

Doing CBT now. Do people really still use floppy disks?

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Elliott_Smith » Wed May 30, 2012 10:50 am

Ha!

I don't think too many people still use CDs much less floppys. That test is a little dated

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby icedflames » Wed May 30, 2012 3:34 pm

If our first month's rent is for August, shouldn't we technically be allowed to see the apartment on Aug 1?

I'm trying to figure out whether I can get a peek of it the first few days of August, but it seems like that isnt possible

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby jetissent » Wed May 30, 2012 4:19 pm

icedflames wrote:If our first month's rent is for August, shouldn't we technically be allowed to see the apartment on Aug 1?

I'm trying to figure out whether I can get a peek of it the first few days of August, but it seems like that isnt possible


I'm assigned to an apartment with a 2L and he just offered to let me come by and check it out. If you're going to be living with someone who's already there it can't hurt to ask! :)

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Wed May 30, 2012 4:21 pm

My page says roommate info not available. I guess I either (a) don't have one yet or (b) they decided not to release that info.

And, I think all biglaw offices should have this http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... t-desk-bed

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby shumpshump » Wed May 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Bronck wrote:My page says roommate info not available. I guess I either (a) don't have one yet or (b) they decided not to release that info.

And, I think all biglaw offices should have this http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... t-desk-bed


Haha, if I ever saw that in an office I was visiting, I'd run the other away FAST

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 am

Emailed admissions about address change. Nothing. Called and asked them if I could change address over the phone. They said to email. I email again. Still nothing.

Whatever, mail forwarding + only 2 months to go before I change addresses again anyway. No big deal.

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby icedflames » Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Alright, called health services and got some info I thought I'd share:

Waiver from the Columbia plan:
the actual form won't be available until June 25, so nothing we can do until then. More info at http://health.columbia.edu/insurance/enroll-upgrade-waive/request-waiver

Immunization requirements:
two things we need to do, have the MMR form filled out by our physician (i think someone said before that immunization record will also suffice) and the meningococcal meningitis vaccine certification online

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Thu May 31, 2012 3:08 pm

icedflames wrote:Alright, called health services and got some info I thought I'd share:

Waiver from the Columbia plan:
the actual form won't be available until June 25, so nothing we can do until then. More info at http://health.columbia.edu/insurance/enroll-upgrade-waive/request-waiver

Immunization requirements:
two things we need to do, have the MMR form filled out by our physician (i think someone said before that immunization record will also suffice) and the meningococcal meningitis vaccine certification online

--LinkRemoved--


Great, thanks for the waiver info!

Yup, you can do that... or do as I did and: 1) fill out the top portion of the Columbia immunization form, 2) scan your immunization record, 3) combine into PDF, and 4) email. They get back and confirm it within a day.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby shumpshump » Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Bronck wrote:
Great, thanks for the waiver info!

Yup, you can do that... or do as I did and: 1) fill out the top portion of the Columbia immunization form, 2) scan your immunization record, 3) combine into PDF, and 4) email. They get back and confirm it within a day.


Very useful! Thanks.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 am

It's officially June. Only two flips of the calendar and we'll all be in NY and gearing up for orientation :o

Can't wait!

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Elliott_Smith » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am

Incredibly excited for NYC/CLS.

Also, a little nervous. But hey, law school can't be that bad, right? :D

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby icedflames » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 am

Elliott_Smith wrote:Incredibly excited for NYC/CLS.

Also, a little nervous. But hey, law school can't be that bad, right? :D


Of course not! haha I can't wait to explore the city. I commute to work in Manhattan, but I never really got to explore like people who live there get to do.

I'm also happy that the housing process is pretty much done for everyone here

johnlawrence430
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby johnlawrence430 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:14 pm

My housing app still is still in the first step, meaning not even under review yet. I know housing is guaranteed but does that mean they could also place me in a dorm if the apartments and apartment shares are all taken?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:36 pm

johnlawrence430 wrote:My housing app still is still in the first step, meaning not even under review yet. I know housing is guaranteed but does that mean they could also place me in a dorm if the apartments and apartment shares are all taken?


I haven't heard of people being placed in dorms. If that's the case, you can relatively easily find cheap housing in Manhattan. A good rule of thumb is north of 160 and WEST of Broadway (yes, Harlem is beginning to gentrify, but it still has some seedy areas -- particularly the Audubon Avenue Corridor, Northern and Eastern Harlem. If you stick to the zone I gave you here, it's about as safe as you can get anywhere in the city). It would be a bit of a commute (20-30 minutes), but you can get fairly cheap 1BR apartments in the Inwood/Fort George/Washington Heights area (I've heard of people getting decent ones for a little over 1000). There's pretty easy access to public transportation from there (the A and 1 trains) and the Broadway corridor is generally going to be safe any time of day.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest