Columbia Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Bronck

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 4:33 pm

icedflames wrote:
Bronck wrote:According to someone in the FB group who emailed in, we should be hearing about our housing assignments by next Tuesday.

Just sent in my loan request form. I didn't request any grad plus loans, but my budget could be thrown off a bit by the housing. Can we request additional plus loans if we didn't request any in the first place? The MPN is all filled out already.

Also, what address did you guys send the final transcript to?

From what I understand, we can always request more loans up to the estimated COA. Someone else here might know a bit more concretely though.

I think we're supposed to send it to the Office of Admissions. I haven't sent mine yet. I graduated in March but haven't gotten my diploma yet, is it okay to go ahead and send my transcript? It's not like anything will change on it

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue May 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:
Bronck wrote:According to someone in the FB group who emailed in, we should be hearing about our housing assignments by next Tuesday.

Just sent in my loan request form. I didn't request any grad plus loans, but my budget could be thrown off a bit by the housing. Can we request additional plus loans if we didn't request any in the first place? The MPN is all filled out already.

Also, what address did you guys send the final transcript to?

From what I understand, we can always request more loans up to the estimated COA. Someone else here might know a bit more concretely though.

I think we're supposed to send it to the Office of Admissions. I haven't sent mine yet. I graduated in March but haven't gotten my diploma yet, is it okay to go ahead and send my transcript? It's not like anything will change on it

I think it should be fine as long as on the transcript it says that you actually graduated and a degree was conferred

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 pm

icedflames wrote:I think it should be fine as long as on the transcript it says that you actually graduated and a degree was conferred

Alright cool. Just checked my unofficial transcript and it has a big "Degree Earned" section on it.

Edit: All I could find in the notebook/online was to send it to Office of Admissions, so this address ought to be fine:

https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... it/contact

Office of Admissions

Mailing Address:
435 West 116th St., Mail Code 4004
New York, NY 10027-7297

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:I think it should be fine as long as on the transcript it says that you actually graduated and a degree was conferred

Alright cool. Just checked my unofficial transcript and it has a big "Degree Earned" section on it.

Edit: All I could find in the notebook/online was to send it to Office of Admissions, so this address ought to be fine:

https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... it/contact

Office of Admissions

Mailing Address:
435 West 116th St., Mail Code 4004
New York, NY 10027-7297

Sweet, I just sent the transcript request to my school. Next is the dean's cert. I took a few random classes in high school for credit, and now I've gotta get one from them as well

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I know at my UG, when requesting a transcript, you can specify that you want to wait til its final (or when a particular semester's grades are done).

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 4:59 pm

icedflames wrote:
Sweet, I just sent the transcript request to my school. Next is the dean's cert. I took a few random classes in high school for credit, and now I've gotta get one from them as well

About to send mine as well. I'll probably call in a week or two for confirmation, and if they haven't updated my address by then I'll also ask about that. Two birds with one stone :P

ETA: Each line on the transcript request form only allows a certain number of characters. Under "recipient name" I can only write "Columbia Law School" not "Columbia Law School Office of Admissions". Should I add "Office of Admissions" to the first line of the "recipient address" section? Or just omit it and trust that it'll get sent to the right department?

^ probably a really silly question, but I want it to go right without any hiccups :lol:

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Bronck wrote:
icedflames wrote:

About to send mine as well. I'll probably call in a week or two for confirmation, and if they haven't updated my address by then I'll also ask about that. Two birds with one stone :P

ETA: Each line on the transcript request form only allows a certain number of characters. Under "recipient name" I can only write "Columbia Law School" not "Columbia Law School Office of Admissions". Should I add "Office of Admissions" to the first line of the "recipient address" section? Or just omit it and trust that it'll get sent to the right department?

^ probably a really silly question, but I want it to go right without any hiccups :lol:

Columbia Law Admissions?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 5:08 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
Columbia Law Admissions?

Brilliant :mrgreen:

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Ah this housing stuff is killing me, is anyone else still waiting on approval?

I thought I read somewhere approvals were supposed to be done by the 13th, I feel like I am missing everything.... :(

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Take Two wrote:Ah this housing stuff is killing me, is anyone else still waiting on approval?

I thought I read somewhere approvals were supposed to be done by the 13th, I feel like I am missing everything.... :(

I'm still waiting for approval too! :)

They're saving all the super awesome apartments for last! When do we find out roommate info?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 pm

jetissent wrote:
Take Two wrote:Ah this housing stuff is killing me, is anyone else still waiting on approval?

I'm still waiting for approval too! :)

They're saving all the super awesome apartments for last! When do we find out roommate info?

Still waiting here too

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 am

Waiting less patiently now.

jungminnee

Postby jungminnee » Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 am

still waiting as well =/

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 am

Anyone know specifics about loan disbursement, i.e., when/how it's done?

I'm going to open up a bank account with TD Bank (only have a credit union now), but they only let you open one up if you have an address in NY (or any of the other east coast states in which they have branches), which means I won't be able to open one up until I move in early-mid August.

Do we supply the school with a bank account/routing number X numbers of weeks before loan disbursement (I'm guessing it happens sometime at the end of August?). It would be a pain to have to coordinate this between two accounts since it costs money to wire funds between banks.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am

Bronck wrote:Anyone know specifics about loan disbursement, i.e., when/how it's done?

I'm going to open up a bank account with TD Bank (only have a credit union now), but they only let you open one up if you have an address in NY (or any of the other east coast states in which they have branches), which means I won't be able to open one up until I move in early-mid August.

Do we supply the school with a bank account/routing number X numbers of weeks before loan disbursement (I'm guessing it happens sometime at the end of August?). It would be a pain to have to coordinate this between two accounts since it costs money to wire funds between banks.

I thought I read somewhere that the funds get disbursed to your Columbia account to pay for tuition and fees, and the rest is given to you as a check. I'm not sure though. It would eliminate going from gov to bank to school

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Good news for us incoming 1Ls!: --LinkRemoved--

My SO had to wait until February for 2 grades after her 1L fall at CLS because of slow professors and it was really unfortunate because 1L summer employers kept asking her to update her application with grades.

Getting our grades by MLK day would be perfect. Get all the applications for 1L summer done before the 1L spring semester starts.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Anyone else a little disappointed with their housing? I got a 13' x 11' furnished room in a 3-person apartment, and they're charging me $1197 a month. I expected the rent to be lower in a 3-person share.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 pm

ahnhub wrote:Anyone else a little disappointed with their housing? I got a 13' x 11' furnished room in a 3-person apartment, and they're charging me $1197 a month. I expected the rent to be lower in a 3-person share.

Wow. Location? Do you at least have a huge common area?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Anyone else a little disappointed with their housing? I got a 13' x 11' furnished room in a 3-person apartment, and they're charging me $1197 a month. I expected the rent to be lower in a 3-person share.

415 West 115th.

Yeah, there's a 12 X 13 common area. I probably shoulda asked for unfurnished (I didn't specify a preference; I figured I'd IKEA it or just enjoy being lazy if I got furniture included). I actually mulled over turning it down and going on the waitlist, but I didn't want to have to find something on my own if I didn't get UAH housing. God, I just hope my roommates are clean. And cool. But mostly clean.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 pm

ahnhub wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

415 West 115th.

Yeah, there's a 12 X 13 common area. I probably shoulda asked for unfurnished (I didn't specify a preference; I figured I'd IKEA it or just enjoy being lazy if I got furniture included). I actually mulled over turning it down and going on the waitlist, but I didn't want to have to find something on my own if I didn't get UAH housing. God, I just hope my roommates are clean. And cool. But mostly clean.

At least your location is amazing. Can't beat one block from the law school.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Wed May 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Just got the approval email! :) Shouldn't be too much longer...right?

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 pm

jetissent wrote:Just got the approval email! :) Shouldn't be too much longer...right?

Hopefully not! But I believe there are people who received the approval email but haven't received their assignment yet.

Either way, as Bronck said according to FB, someone said that we should all get it by Tuesday

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Wed May 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Bronck wrote:Anyone know specifics about loan disbursement, i.e., when/how it's done?

Check this out: http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_student/financial_aid/Receiving_FA

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Thank you! It looks like the funds are credited to our student account. What exactly does that mean? Do we then have the ability to transfer any remaining funds from that student account to a bank account?

And, my application was just approved for housing, so hopefully I get something soon.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed May 16, 2012 2:56 pm

you can set up direct deposit. I did this and got my money on the third day of orientation I believe.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”