Columbia Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
theboywiththebread87

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2015

Postby theboywiththebread87 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 pm

kwais wrote:you do get a fancy @law.columbia.edu and it goes away at graduation

I knew that we did-- I have a couple of friends who are students now-- but I don't know how to access it/ make it my default email address. Any ideas?

Also just got my housing assignment. It was what I asked for, but I'm not sure about paying my deposit so soon. I haven't even applied for loans. Does anyone know how that process works? Is it refundable or am I going to be out over $2500 if I deposit and somehow decide not to take the housing?

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 pm

theboywiththebread87 wrote:

I knew that we did-- I have a couple of friends who are students now-- but I don't know how to access it/ make it my default email address. Any ideas?

Also just got my housing assignment. It was what I asked for, but I'm not sure about paying my deposit so soon. I haven't even applied for loans. Does anyone know how that process works? Is it refundable or am I going to be out over $2500 if I deposit and somehow decide not to take the housing?

The email routes to your cubmail so nothing for you to do to receive from it. And to send from it, just add it to gmail. I think you have to pay the housing deposit now, however, if you came upon some major hardship, I doubt they'd just pocket it. There is so much demand that your spot would go quickly.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 pm

fuhhh i want my housing assignment!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 pm

smokeylarue wrote:fuhhh i want my housing assignment!

SAME! I at least want to be out of the "in process" stage

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Sweet! That's way better than abc1234

Are most people routing CLS email to gmail?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:

Yeah, I already routed mine.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:

I am. Cubmail looks to be pretty jacked up

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Bronck wrote:
Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Just got my housing info around 9, which was kind of strange, but I'm happy with it. Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the room furnished except for the bed? I really don't want to sleep on a twin. Also, better to move in on a weekday or weekend?

That would be cool if we can work with them to use only some of the furniture. It seems like they'd have a storage place somewhere...

Honestly, probably doesn't matter. I'll probably move in the earliest day possible / cheapest flight possible. I'll have to fly in redeye since you need to get to the office by what 3-330pm ?

Yeah, I'm just going to call about the bed situation.

The reason I ask about the week vs. weekend is I'll be driving in, and if I bring my bed I'll need to take a Uhaul, so I'd wonder when street parking is most available, etc. If you're flying in, I'd aim for midweek, shorter airport lines and cheaper flights. Wednesday/Thursday are usually the cheapest, avoid Mondays because of business travellers.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:Yeah, I'm just going to call about the bed situation.

The reason I ask about the week vs. weekend is I'll be driving in, and if I bring my bed I'll need to take a Uhaul, so I'd wonder when street parking is most available, etc. If you're flying in, I'd aim for midweek, shorter airport lines and cheaper flights. Wednesday/Thursday are usually the cheapest, avoid Mondays because of business travellers.

Cool, let us know what they say.

Ooh okay. Don't know about that, unfortunately. I imagine it'll be difficult to find street parking in either scenario. Thanks for the protip, I'll keep it in mind when booking my flight.

blue_c

Postby blue_c » Fri May 11, 2012 12:16 am

I thought I read somewhere that you can only move in on weekdays. Or rather that you can only check-in and get your key on weekdays in the designated hours.

And let us know about the bed thing please!

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:18 am

blue_c wrote:I thought I read somewhere that you can only move in on weekdays. Or rather that you can only check-in and get your key on weekdays in the designated hours.

And let us know about the bed thing please!

Will do. You're actually right on the move in thing, I misread the calendar.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 am

From the website:

Appointments for signing rental agreements may be scheduled for Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:15 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. The UAH office is not open on Saturdays, Sundays, and University Holidays.

Once a rental agreement has been signed, a Key Release form will be provided. Move-in may take place Monday through Friday before 4 PM when building staff are on duty. In general, most building staff are unavailable between 12 and 1 PM.

Boston_NYG2245 wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:

I am. Cubmail looks to be pretty jacked up

Yeah, instant flashback to highschool email setup.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 am

I spoke to one of the girls who opened her apartment during ASD, she said it came furnished but she bought a queen sized bed and they said they could remove the twin if she wanted. She kept it in the living room instead for company, but she said they will remove the bed if you don't want a twin.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 pm

jetissent wrote:I spoke to one of the girls who opened her apartment during ASD, she said it came furnished but she bought a queen sized bed and they said they could remove the twin if she wanted. She kept it in the living room instead for company, but she said they will remove the bed if you don't want a twin.

I think I spoke to that same girl on ASD.

When I called today, they said that they could not remove the twin bed as they had no place to store them. Anyone want to try on a different day and see if they get a different answer? I just really don't want to be stuck with a twin bed.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh well that sucks. lol

Yeah, hopefully I'll get unfurnished then. Or have enough room to throw it in the living room like she did.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 pm

jetissent wrote:Oh well that sucks. lol

Yeah, hopefully I'll get unfurnished then. Or have enough room to throw it in the living room like she did.

Put it under the queen bed you get. In UG, I rented a futon from a local company and just put the mattress under the futon. I unassembled the frame and put it off to the side somewhere or maybe in the closet. If you get an actual bed, I'm sure there's even more room to put stuff under it.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm

^ That's actually not a bad idea. Right now... I'm sleeping on a futon on the floor, with a travel pillow and minimal sheets, so I think a twin bed would actually be an upgrade lol. At the very least, I'll get a comfortable office type chair.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Fri May 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Bronck wrote:^ That's actually not a bad idea. Right now... I'm sleeping on a futon on the floor, with a travel pillow and minimal sheets, so I think a twin bed would actually be an upgrade lol. At the very least, I'll get a comfortable office type chair.

Definitely. I'll probably study at my place most of the time, so this is definitely a necessity. A big bed would be nice, but it really dependson how much room I'll have.

Still waiting for housing assignment!

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for the bed suggestion!

Still waiting on housing as well but finally submitted all my loan stuff.

The MPN should read "each note takes about 30 mins (unless you've done this before and then we've auto-filled everything and you just need to click okay a bunch of times.)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm

icedflames wrote:
Bronck wrote:^ That's actually not a bad idea. Right now... I'm sleeping on a futon on the floor, with a travel pillow and minimal sheets, so I think a twin bed would actually be an upgrade lol. At the very least, I'll get a comfortable office type chair.

Definitely. I'll probably study at my place most of the time, so this is definitely a necessity. A big bed would be nice, but it really dependson how much room I'll have.

Still waiting for housing assignment!

Yeah, I just can't get myself to study in the library. I like the comfort of my own place.

Saaammmmee. Although one person on FB posted (yesterday): "FWIW, I had the same experience as ____, never got to approved, but got my housing assignment tonight", so who knows.

Banosby

Postby Banosby » Sat May 12, 2012 3:29 am

gossipgirl wrote:Is the amount that we're putting down as the amount we want to borrow on these forms something that can be amended at a later date?
Thanks!

So...super dumb question, but where are we supposed to be putting down the amount that we're requesting? I've sent in all the forms (I think), and I don't recall requesting any specific amounts.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Sat May 12, 2012 3:37 am

Banosby wrote: So...super dumb question, but where are we supposed to be putting down the amount that we're requesting? I've sent in all the forms (I think), and I don't recall requesting any specific amounts.

It's called the 'Federal Direct Loan Request Form.' You should have gotten one along with your financial aid award (or, for those like myself, complete lack of award) letter.

Banosby

Postby Banosby » Sat May 12, 2012 3:45 am

Hmmm....I recall getting that letter, but don't recall the form. But then, getting the letter, assuming it was the same one they sent me via email and tossing it sounds like the sort of thing I would do. I wonder how set they are about the May 15th deadline...

In any event, thanks for the info, its been helpful.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 12, 2012 3:54 am

Banosby wrote:Hmmm....I recall getting that letter, but don't recall the form. But then, getting the letter, assuming it was the same one they sent me via email and tossing it sounds like the sort of thing I would do. I wonder how set they are about the May 15th deadline...

In any event, thanks for the info, its been helpful.

It should be the same as page 3 of the Financial Aid Questionnaire: https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... nnaire.pdf

Banosby

Postby Banosby » Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 am

First beer is on me. Much appreciated.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”