Duke Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
whitman

Silver

Duke Class of 2015

Post by whitman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:04 am

Boom.

jpal13

Bronze

Re: Duke Class of 2015

Post by jpal13 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Just got my acceptance email today, joint degree program in economics, just curious how many other people applied for a joint degree?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:07 pm

hey, anyone who has decided definitively on Duke: please post your choice here if you would like to be included

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 pm

jpal13 wrote:Just got my acceptance email today, joint degree program in economics, just curious how many other people applied for a joint degree?
Me! I got into the JD/LLM in Comparative Law. Does your program start in the summer?

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:43 pm

It does start in summer, I am doing my masters in Economics. I really thought Duke had rejected me because I heard so much later than other people who applied at the same time as me according to law school numbers. Imagine my surprise when I woke up on a Saturday and saw an acceptance email.

I am weighing my options and waiting for the rest of my decisions but I love the idea of a joint degree and starting in the summer. I also got UMich summer start acceptance.

I have been looking at apartments/condos in the Durham area and you can get a very comfortable pad very reasonably.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm 95% sure I'm going to Duke and might be doing a joint degree as well. I didn't initially apply for it, but admissions told me I could contact them at a later date.

Three that I'm curious about:

1) JD/MBA: I have 3 years of business experience and would love to get an MBA as well, but will that prevent me from working on journals, doing clinics, and the Duke in DC program?
2) JD/MA in English or Philosophy: Is this just an absurd amount of reading with no tangible gain (just personal satisfaction)?
3) JD/MA in Environmental Studies: I'd like to go into Environmental law. How much does this help?
4) JD/LLM in International Law: What does this actually mean for students' careers? Anything? Where do they typically end up?

Obviously, I'm all over the map and need to figure this out ASAP, but the only thing I know for sure is I want a JD, and the rest is all appealing to me for different reasons. I am business-oriented and would love to transition down the line or work to start up a company in environmental something or other. At the same time, I love being a student and would enjoy taking advantage of my last schooling years to study English or Philosophy. But then there's the environmental aspect and international law opportunities appeal.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:31 pm

NU

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 pm

basilseal wrote:NU
10-4.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Wow completely wrong thread. Excuse me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emagdnim2100

New

Post by emagdnim2100 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am

Headed to Duke in the fall!

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 am

emagdnim2100 wrote:Headed to Duke in the fall!
COngrats, I am still deciding but the allure of Durham is a pull.

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:25 pm

whitman wrote:I'm 95% sure I'm going to Duke and might be doing a joint degree as well. I didn't initially apply for it, but admissions told me I could contact them at a later date.

Three that I'm curious about:

1) JD/MBA: I have 3 years of business experience and would love to get an MBA as well, but will that prevent me from working on journals, doing clinics, and the Duke in DC program?
2) JD/MA in English or Philosophy: Is this just an absurd amount of reading with no tangible gain (just personal satisfaction)?
3) JD/MA in Environmental Studies: I'd like to go into Environmental law. How much does this help?
4) JD/LLM in International Law: What does this actually mean for students' careers? Anything? Where do they typically end up?

Obviously, I'm all over the map and need to figure this out ASAP, but the only thing I know for sure is I want a JD, and the rest is all appealing to me for different reasons. I am business-oriented and would love to transition down the line or work to start up a company in environmental something or other. At the same time, I love being a student and would enjoy taking advantage of my last schooling years to study English or Philosophy. But then there's the environmental aspect and international law opportunities appeal.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.
Hey guys, I'm a joint degree 1L at Duke, if you guys have any questions let me know. I would be glad to help.

kaveman

New

Post by kaveman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:18 am

Any scholarship offers yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Checking in! Anyone know if Mordecai nominations are only done in the first admit email or are you notified later?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Checking in! Anyone know if Mordecai nominations are only done in the first admit email or are you notified later?
Later but they've already gone out. I don't think they do multiple rounds.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Anyone interested in environmental law? I think the program looks awesome, but I'm wondering if it leads to interesting and fulfilling careers in the field.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi guys! I was admitted today. So how will I receive my scholarship application, snail mail or e-mail? How long after I submit that info will I receive an offer (if any)?

Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Hi guys! I was admitted today. So how will I receive my scholarship application, snail mail or e-mail? How long after I submit that info will I receive an offer (if any)?

Thanks!!
They didn't send the scholarship form until late January but I imagine you'll get it soon.

No info on regular scholarships has been released yet, only the Mordecai invites.

Modus Ponens

New

Post by Modus Ponens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Nelson wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Hi guys! I was admitted today. So how will I receive my scholarship application, snail mail or e-mail? How long after I submit that info will I receive an offer (if any)?

Thanks!!
They didn't send the scholarship form until late January but I imagine you'll get it soon.

No info on regular scholarships has been released yet, only the Mordecai invites.
Not sure how reliable it is, but there are some scholarship offers ($67k-72k) on LSN. http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Modus Ponens wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Thanks!!

Not sure how reliable it is, but there are some scholarship offers ($67k-72k) on LSN. http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants
Thanks! Does anybody know if Duke provides travel stipends for admitted students to come visit?

Modus Ponens

New

Post by Modus Ponens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:06 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
Modus Ponens wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Thanks!!

Thanks! Does anybody know if Duke provides travel stipends for admitted students to come visit?
Yeah, depending on which state you're from. (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5#p5138014)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:46 am

Hi everyone, checking in here for the first time. In filling out that Need Access form it asks for an LSAT code. Where can I find this information? It's been like 4 months since I took the test and that's not exactly ringing a bell lol. Thanks for the help.

Modus Ponens

New

Post by Modus Ponens » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Hi everyone, checking in here for the first time. In filling out that Need Access form it asks for an LSAT code. Where can I find this information? It's been like 4 months since I took the test and that's not exactly ringing a bell lol. Thanks for the help.
It's your LSAC account number.

Modus Ponens

New

Post by Modus Ponens » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Found this website hosted by the Duke Bar Association, has some useful information on it: http://www.dukelawdenovo.com/

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Blah apparently this Need Access form is quite long (my Mom's been filling it out because she has all the necessary information). Would it be a terrible mistake to just apply for merit based aid? I've heard many times on TLS that need based aid is rather rare outside of the HYS. We'd probably best be described as a middle class family. If I'm not likely to get anything from it, I'd rather just submit my merit form and get the ball rolling on that. Thanks for any advice guys.

Edit: Going to fill it out, still wondering if Duke is generous with need based aid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”