Penn Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Copacetic1 wrote:checking in also! so excited for next year :)

Congrats! I just sent out all my withdrawal emails (had a bit of a family emergency Friday and Saturday so I never really got a chance until now), feels good to be 100% done with admissions. I got to go down to Penn with my parents last night, and show them the law school buildings. And of course buy a few pieces of Penn merchandise at the bookstore. :mrgreen:

jasonxu89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby jasonxu89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:49 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Copacetic1 wrote:checking in also! so excited for next year :)

Congrats! I just sent out all my withdrawal emails (had a bit of a family emergency Friday and Saturday so I never really got a chance until now), feels good to be 100% done with admissions. I got to go down to Penn with my parents last night, and show them the law school buildings. And of course buy a few pieces of Penn merchandise at the bookstore. :mrgreen:


I had not sent out my withdraw emails till last evening but Cornell had already withdrew my application in the afternoon when I check the status checker. I highly suspect that they share a ED admission list.

Anyway, I feel great to be able to post here and Merry Christmas to all my future classmates!

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Congrats to the Penn '15 club :lol:

User avatar
DonnaDraper
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby DonnaDraper » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:09 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Congrats to the Penn '15 club :lol:


Hahaha oh yes. When that elementary school kid wrote it on my hand so many years ago, little did I know it was a sign of my future to come (inappropriate)

Sidebar: I have been watching the videos on ASW and getting sooo pumped!

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:09 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Congrats to the Penn '15 club :lol:


Hahaha oh yes. When that elementary school kid wrote it on my hand so many years ago, little did I know it was a sign of my future to come (inappropriate)

Sidebar: I have been watching the videos on ASW and getting sooo pumped!

My god! I never even thought of it that way before. :o :lol:

Ooh they have videos on ASW? Welp I know what I'm doing tonight!

Copacetic1
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Copacetic1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:18 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Copacetic1 wrote:checking in also! so excited for next year :)

Congrats! I just sent out all my withdrawal emails (had a bit of a family emergency Friday and Saturday so I never really got a chance until now), feels good to be 100% done with admissions. I got to go down to Penn with my parents last night, and show them the law school buildings. And of course buy a few pieces of Penn merchandise at the bookstore. :mrgreen:


Haha thanks for the congrats. I'm glad we both made it finally. :)

For ASW, I was looking at the admitted students website, and it says for those students whom "will prove an uncommonly demanding financial burden, we will offer one-time travel reimbursements..." I had assumed that every visiting student would be partially reimbursed for the traveling costs. Does anyone know what qualifies as uncommonly demanding financial burden?

Thanks!

nmilanb
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby nmilanb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 am

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if any of you know how difficult it is to get into the 4 year jd/mba program? I definitely want to go into law over the short term, bur having an mba would make it easier to transition to something else further down the road and I'd like to keep my options open.

If I were to apply during 1L, I'd have little WE (1 year as a paralegal - internships in multiple embassies). I'm confident that I could get a top score on the gmat, but from what I've read it seems like business schools don't care as much about stats.

Do they factor in 1L grades? Is it easier for 1L students? Do I realistically have a shot without WE?

Any insight you could give would be a great help! Thanks!

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:48 pm

I may or may not have just spent half an hour totally redoing my Facebook profile in preparation for law school. :lol:

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Congrats guys! If you have any questions/concerns about Penn and/or Philly in general, feel free to PM me.

I highly recommend matriculating. :wink:

jasonxu89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby jasonxu89 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Does anybody accepted on 12/16 receive your decision letter? It is been a week and I have not got mine.

cesmoc
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby cesmoc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in already!!

I'm a current 1L at Penn so feel free to ask me any questions about the school/living in Philly/ or housing. I am from California originally so if anyone has any specific questions about housing or the area from a California-centric perspective, feel free to ask me. Also, I looked for housing in Philly while I was in Cali, if anyone wants some advice about that.

Also, if anyone wants some advice on comparing schools penn and other peer schools, let me know. (PM me)

But seriously, celebrate getting into a wonderful school guys!! It's a huge accomplishment and you all should be proud of yourselves.

cesmoc
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby cesmoc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:30 pm

also, good to have you back heavenwood, TLS was lonely without you! haha

User avatar
MiamiOxford
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby MiamiOxford » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:54 am

nmilanb wrote:Hi everyone!

I am wondering if any of you know how difficult it is to get into the 4 year jd/mba program? I definitely want to go into law over the short term, bur having an mba would make it easier to transition to something else further down the road and I'd like to keep my options open.

If I were to apply during 1L, I'd have little WE (1 year as a paralegal - internships in multiple embassies). I'm confident that I could get a top score on the gmat, but from what I've read it seems like business schools don't care as much about stats.

Do they factor in 1L grades? Is it easier for 1L students? Do I realistically have a shot without WE?

Any insight you could give would be a great help! Thanks!


Going to bump this thread, as I'm wondering the same thing. Would love to go to Wharton MBA program (come from Accounting undergrad), and was wondering if being a law student at Penn would in some way improve my chances?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:
Going to bump this thread, as I'm wondering the same thing. Would love to go to Wharton MBA program (come from Accounting undergrad), and was wondering if being a law student at Penn would in some way improve my chances?


You can contact the JD/MBA association and/or current students to get some general ideas. If you can't find the info, email Bayrex and have him point you in the right direction. They referred me to recent grads when I was choosing schools, and the conversations were really helpful in my decision making. I am sure they would love to help you out.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:36 am

Anyone else beginning to look for a place to live? Still early for most places from what I can gather, but I've been trying to get an idea of prices and whatnot. I'd love to have a studio close to campus but at the same time I'm not really trying to spend that much money, so I'm debating if its worth it to try to find roommates and get a bigger apartment/house, or what. Frankly I just feel kind of lost, since it seems like there are so many options (most of which are way too expensive :lol: )

User avatar
MiamiOxford
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby MiamiOxford » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Would it be insane to joing the Penn rowing team as a 1L?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:51 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:Would it be insane to joing the Penn rowing team as a 1L?


I don't think you will have the time anyway.

User avatar
DonnaDraper
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:01 pm

When are the Penn portfolios going to get mailed? Can anyone from last year comment on this? I am getting impatient :) The Penn portfolio will have the form where you RSVP to ASW, right? I keep having the paranoia that I am missing/need to be doing something....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:When are the Penn portfolios going to get mailed? Can anyone from last year comment on this? I am getting impatient :) The Penn portfolio will have the form where you RSVP to ASW, right? I keep having the paranoia that I am missing/need to be doing something....


The RSVP was done on the admitted student website. The portfolio is nice, but I believe pretty much everything in it you can get from the website.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:When are the Penn portfolios going to get mailed? Can anyone from last year comment on this? I am getting impatient :) The Penn portfolio will have the form where you RSVP to ASW, right? I keep having the paranoia that I am missing/need to be doing something....

Haha yeah, totally agree on the last point. Thank god I have an easy last undergrad semester now, I can barely pay attention since I'm so excited for Penn (and I know I'll hate myself and be miserable in a year when I get my first grades :lol: )

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Accept Portfolio Sent 01/19/2012


Just accepted on my status checker under the Mailings. Which is odd because it's still the 18th. But cool.

User avatar
DonnaDraper
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm

iamrobk wrote:Accept Portfolio Sent 01/19/2012


Just accepted on my status checker under the Mailings. Which is odd because it's still the 18th. But cool.


I saw that earlier too! People getting decisions made me want to log into my status checker and then I saw it yayaya! It's probably the same information as the website, but getting it in physical form will be nice.

Copacetic1
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Copacetic1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm

.
Last edited by Copacetic1 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonxu89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby jasonxu89 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Copacetic1 wrote:Question to the ED people or to anyone who knows they are going to Penn for sure: How many days are people going to spend at Admitted Students Weekend? I am from the west coast, so ideally, I would like to take care of my housing search/ visiting campus/ ASW stuff in one weekend. My concern with doing Friday- Sunday, which is my current plan, is that Friday and Saturday are going to be filled with ASW activities and that will only leave me Sunday to look for housing... Is that enough time/ Are most leasing offices open on Sunday? Will we have time on Friday and Saturday to look for housing?

Can current students who found housing at ASW chime in? Or post the schedule from last year? I've been checking the website for an updated ASW itinerary, but it hasn't shown up yet. :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I want to book my flight and hotel soon! Can't wait to meet everyone. :)



I have similar questions as Copacetic. I also plan to look for housing during ASW.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm

If the schedule is the same as last year, the Saturday events were not as well attended. You can certainly spend Saturday looking for housing. Most of the stuff that everyone attend were on Friday.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest