Penn Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
Aspen
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Aspen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Does anyone have a sense of what Penn's need based grants are like? Do they exist? UVA seems to not have ANY (it's all merit based and maybe more if there's a need) and Berkeley puts a lot more emphasis on need.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby justicefishy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Smumps wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!


From what I've read/heard, Domus is super expensive. There seem to be ample 1 BR's around for half the price. I'm going to spend most of ASW checking out apartments, so I'd be happy to come with.


Same here. Uh, I'll try and set up a PM thing for the TLS dinner I'm trying to get together on Saturday night and maybe the apartment hunting on Sunday.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Nelson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

There are tons of pet friendly apartments near Penn, though they may not be in high-rises. Domus is extortionately expensive for Philly.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Aspen wrote:Does anyone have a sense of what Penn's need based grants are like? Do they exist? UVA seems to not have ANY (it's all merit based and maybe more if there's a need) and Berkeley puts a lot more emphasis on need.


Yes, you can get maybe 10-15k a year it seems.

ViennaGraben
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby ViennaGraben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Nelson wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

There are tons of pet friendly apartments near Penn, though they may not be in high-rises. Domus is extortionately expensive for Philly.


Going to have to keep looking I guess... most places I'm seeing that are pet-friendly seem to either be cats only, terrible condition, or far from campus. If it were far from campus, I feel like the cost of having a car or something would be more than just living at Domus (and less convenient). But obviously, the idea of paying so much is not appealing...

wildcat25
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby wildcat25 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Has anyone received any non-named merit based aid (so I guess Dean's Scholarships) yet? If not, do we have any guesstimates on when they are usually released? Thanks!

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby curiousgeorgia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:49 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:
Nelson wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

There are tons of pet friendly apartments near Penn, though they may not be in high-rises. Domus is extortionately expensive for Philly.


Going to have to keep looking I guess... most places I'm seeing that are pet-friendly seem to either be cats only, terrible condition, or far from campus. If it were far from campus, I feel like the cost of having a car or something would be more than just living at Domus (and less convenient). But obviously, the idea of paying so much is not appealing...



Just because it is a little farther from campus doesn't mean that you need a car, you can get around pretty easily with public transportation. Try typing in some apartment addresses here http://philadelphia.hopstop.com and see if its feasible to get around without a car. Also, a lot of people bike, if you're into that kinda thing.

ViennaGraben
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby ViennaGraben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:
Nelson wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

There are tons of pet friendly apartments near Penn, though they may not be in high-rises. Domus is extortionately expensive for Philly.


Going to have to keep looking I guess... most places I'm seeing that are pet-friendly seem to either be cats only, terrible condition, or far from campus. If it were far from campus, I feel like the cost of having a car or something would be more than just living at Domus (and less convenient). But obviously, the idea of paying so much is not appealing...



Just because it is a little farther from campus doesn't mean that you need a car, you can get around pretty easily with public transportation. Try typing in some apartment addresses here http://philadelphia.hopstop.com and see if its feasible to get around without a car. Also, a lot of people bike, if you're into that kinda thing.


Thanks! I'll keep looking! ASW will be helpful in getting to know the area better--I'm not familiar with Philly at all yet. :)

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:12 pm

When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?

User avatar
taikofox
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby taikofox » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?

+1

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Smumps » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:43 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?


A guy "in the know" told me that Penn often won't release merit/need non-named awards until April. Usually, mid-April.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby jpal13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Smumps wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?


A guy "in the know" told me that Penn often won't release merit/need non-named awards until April. Usually, mid-April.


Has anyone sent their pleading for money letter yet? I did and I got a very canned response that let me know I was in yet another pile. So in other words I guess it's "under review number 3".

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby justicefishy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 am

jpal13 wrote:
Smumps wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?


A guy "in the know" told me that Penn often won't release merit/need non-named awards until April. Usually, mid-April.


Has anyone sent their pleading for money letter yet? I did and I got a very canned response that let me know I was in yet another pile. So in other words I guess it's "under review number 3".


I'm not even going to try pleading for money. I'm median LSAT and so far below their 25% GPA that I'm shocked they're not hiking tuition for me.

Also! For the ASW Saturday night dinner thing I'm trying to organize, if you're interested, PM me!

Edit: We've got a facebook event! Page here: http://www.facebook.com/events/264305613657298/

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby No13baby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:01 pm

jpal13 wrote:
Smumps wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:When the hell are we getting our scholarship info?


A guy "in the know" told me that Penn often won't release merit/need non-named awards until April. Usually, mid-April.


Has anyone sent their pleading for money letter yet? I did and I got a very canned response that let me know I was in yet another pile. So in other words I guess it's "under review number 3".

Ugh, me too. I sent them an email notifying them of my award from a peer school and a deadline I'd like to hear by, and they responded with a form letter asking me to notify them of any scholarship offers and deadlines. I JUST DID THAT, PENN. COME ON.

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby curiousgeorgia » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:39 pm

If you're interested in the post-ASW dinner, join us here! http://www.facebook.com/events/264305613657298/

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby iamrobk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:39 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:If you're interested in the post-ASW dinner, join us here! http://www.facebook.com/events/264305613657298/

Oooh, very tempting. And by tempting, I mean i'm 99% in.

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Smumps » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:If you're interested in the post-ASW dinner, join us here! http://www.facebook.com/events/264305613657298/


Made a facebook account just to join. Exciting!

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby psach44 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:50 am

is it safe for me to assume that if i am still last updated at 2/17 and i have a 165/3.77 that i am rejected?

ViennaGraben
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby ViennaGraben » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking about driving down for ASW from Boston on Thursday afternoon. Anyone else coming from the area who might be interested in carpooling at least on the way down (or both ways)? PM me! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

User avatar
Lemon Lyman
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby Lemon Lyman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Anyone still waiting to hear back about a Wilson scholarship?

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:14 am

Smumps wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:If you're interested in the post-ASW dinner, join us here! http://www.facebook.com/events/264305613657298/


Made a facebook account just to join. Exciting!


So exciting! We even have a poll now for what sort of food we want since we're TLSers and love our polls.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby citygirl000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm

citygirl000 wrote:For those looking at apartments this weekend, are you guys scheduling anything with any of the buildings or just hoping that someone will be there to talk to you/show you apts?


I was planning on narrowing down my choices today/tomorrow and then making some phone calls to schedule appointments for Sunday. Right now I'm leaning towards 2400 Chestnut and The Hub on Chestnut, so I'll make some calls there. Join the facebook group and list the buildings you are interested in, and I'll make some calls :)

Edit: We're probably being silly - what are the chances that a leasing office will be open on a Sunday? Would anyone be interested in looking at rooms as soon as the program ends on Saturday? Or Thursday before the social?

User avatar
taikofox
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby taikofox » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
citygirl000 wrote:For those looking at apartments this weekend, are you guys scheduling anything with any of the buildings or just hoping that someone will be there to talk to you/show you apts?


I was planning on narrowing down my choices today/tomorrow and then making some phone calls to schedule appointments for Sunday. Right now I'm leaning towards 2400 Chestnut and The Hub on Chestnut, so I'll make some calls there. Join the facebook group and list the buildings you are interested in, and I'll make some calls :)

Edit: We're probably being silly - what are the chances that a leasing office will be open on a Sunday? Would anyone be interested in looking at rooms as soon as the program ends on Saturday? Or Thursday before the social?

I'm touring a few studio apartments on Thursday. So far I've only scheduled with University City Housing, but I'm down to see The Hub and other places.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby citygirl000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest