Penn Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
AlexGrace

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Postby AlexGrace » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 am

justicefishy wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:Has anyone who requested to stay with a current student at ASW heard anything about that yet?

Not me, not yet anyway. I was thinking of calling today.

Hm... I feel like I read somewhere that if we asked to stay with a student, they'd find a student for us to stay with no problem. I could be making that up, but if that's the case, then I won't worry about it. As long as I'm not the only one waiting to hear from them. :D

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Smumps wrote:
taikofox wrote:So, I filled out my Need Access and FAFSA forms as soon as I was able, but I just recently saw this: http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/finaid-checkli ... 2-2013.htm

Do I submit a copy of my and my parents' tax returns after I receive aid or do I need to do it in order to be considered for need-based aid?

My understanding is NA and FASFA are all that is required to be considered. Eventually, you need to submit taxes (I believe deadline for that is much later, April 15th or something).

I called and confirmed the above. They need your tax info eventually to confirm that the need award amount is appropriate, but if you've turned in your NA and FAFSA already you're fine.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Hey guys-if anyone's looking for housing, I'm a Penn 1L and I need to find someone to rent my 1BR apartment in University City. The catch is that it has to be a 1 year lease from late May/beginning of June, so this would only work for someone who will be in Philly for the summer. But it's the entire 3rd floor of a rowhome (very spacious) about a 15 minute walk from the law school for only $850/month. Parking is available and pets are allowed. Message me if you're interested.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 pm

This party needs to start already.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:This party needs to start already.

Agreed. One week!

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 pm

ASW email! Who here is staying with a student? Which mock class did everyone sign up for?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I will be at the Public Service reception representing one of the pro bono orgs. Plus going to the student social at City Tap House. Hope to see you guys there.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 am

Has anyone heard back about $$$ yet who was not invited to apply for a named scholarship?
When should we write Penn a letter presenting our other offers?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 am

jpal13 wrote:Has anyone heard back about $$$ yet who was not invited to apply for a named scholarship?

I'd do this as soon as you have a good offer you are considering taking. You can also schedule a meeting with FinAid when you are visiting for ASW. Be honest and tell them what you want.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Has anyone heard back about $$$ yet who was not invited to apply for a named scholarship?

I'd do this as soon as you have a good offer you are considering taking. You can also schedule a meeting with FinAid when you are visiting for ASW. Be honest and tell them what you want.

Thanks, would they consider an offer from Duke a peer school? Also, if I got into a higher ranked school but with no money does that hold any weight?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

jpal13 wrote:Thanks, would they consider an offer from Duke a peer school? Also, if I got into a higher ranked school but with no money does that hold any weight?

Most likely very little to both, but you can try to leverage. This part seems more holistic, so I don't think the same works for everyone.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

r6_philly wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Thanks, would they consider an offer from Duke a peer school? Also, if I got into a higher ranked school but with no money does that hold any weight?

Most likely very little to both, but you can try to leverage. This part seems more holistic, so I don't think the same works for everyone.

I will give it a shot, thanks! Should the letter be mailed or emailed?
Big favor, can I pm you a letter for your review? I will be writing it this afternoon or evening depending on how much is in my inbox when I get to work. Geez I can't wait to not have to walk into the "office" everyday.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 am

DonnaDraper wrote:ASW email! Who here is staying with a student? Which mock class did everyone sign up for?

I am! And I believe I signed up for contracts, but there were a lot of options on that page and I was so excited/overwhelmed by it all that I completely forget what I ended up choosing.

Also, I'm not a runner, but I'm totally down for some Saturday morning jogging (pronounced yogging) if anyone wants a slower-paced buddy!

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:ASW email! Who here is staying with a student? Which mock class did everyone sign up for?

I am! And I believe I signed up for contracts, but there were a lot of options on that page and I was so excited/overwhelmed by it all that I completely forget what I ended up choosing.

Also, I'm not a runner, but I'm totally down for some Saturday morning jogging (pronounced yogging) if anyone wants a slower-paced buddy!

I'm with a student too. I think I signed up for Civil Procedure though

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 am

jpal13 wrote:
I will give it a shot, thanks! Should the letter be mailed or emailed?
Big favor, can I pm you a letter for your review? I will be writing it this afternoon or evening depending on how much is in my inbox when I get to work. Geez I can't wait to not have to walk into the "office" everyday.

Sure, pm me when you are done. I do know the feeling of not having to go to the office, but, you will be going to a "homeroom" everyday :D

ViennaGraben

Postby ViennaGraben » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 am

AlexGrace wrote:
justicefishy wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:Has anyone who requested to stay with a current student at ASW heard anything about that yet?

Hm... I feel like I read somewhere that if we asked to stay with a student, they'd find a student for us to stay with no problem. I could be making that up, but if that's the case, then I won't worry about it. As long as I'm not the only one waiting to hear from them. :D

Not sure if you already called them or not, but after registering, I got an email back that said:

"If you requested to stay with a current student, your host will contact you by Monday, March 19. Please let us know if you have not heard from your host by that date."

Hope that helps!

taikofox

Postby taikofox » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

I got an e-mail from the "merit scholarship committee" a few days ago, wanting to know about competing offers I've received from other schools. After telling them, they also requested copies of the original offer letters... Anyone else get this scholarship committee e-mail? Mine came the day after I went to one of the regional Penn Law dinners.

From the second e-mail: "Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made by the second week in April."

AlexGrace

Postby AlexGrace » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:
justicefishy wrote:

Not sure if you already called them or not, but after registering, I got an email back that said:

"If you requested to stay with a current student, your host will contact you by Monday, March 19. Please let us know if you have not heard from your host by that date."

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I just got that email yesterday, and I love how he answered all of my little questions... It even said something along the lines of casual attire is "absolutely appropriate," which is fantastic lol

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

taikofox wrote:

I got an e-mail from the "merit scholarship committee" a few days ago, wanting to know about competing offers I've received from other schools. After telling them, they also requested copies of the original offer letters... Anyone else get this scholarship committee e-mail? Mine came the day after I went to one of the regional Penn Law dinners.

From the second e-mail: "Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made by the second week in April."

When did you submit your fasfa/NA? I'm wondering if I should email them my offers, but it seems smarter to wait for their initial offer? Thoughts?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Smumps wrote:
taikofox wrote:

When did you submit your fasfa/NA? I'm wondering if I should email them my offers, but it seems smarter to wait for their initial offer? Thoughts?

I was planning on waiting until I get Penn's initial offer as well. That way I can calibrate my level of begging and pleading.

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 pm

justicefishy wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:

I'm with a student too. I think I signed up for Civil Procedure though

I also signed up for Civil Procedure! And I will be attending the morning jog! (Although it is a bit early......so hopefully it won't be too painful)

taikofox

Postby taikofox » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Smumps wrote:
taikofox wrote:

I submitted all my financial aid stuff as soon as it was available, but I didn't send Penn my tax returns until about a week ago. Maybe you're right about waiting for an initial offer; I didn't really consider that. The committee sent me the e-mail, so I gave them my competing offers. This whole situation is making me paranoid... I just wanna hear back and make a decision about where I'll end up next year.

ViennaGraben

Postby ViennaGraben » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

Back to the apartment-hunting topic for a moment, has anyone considered Domus? The prices are pretty high but the location's amazing, and it's pet friendly (important for me, because I have a small dog). Do a lot of law students live there? I'd be down for checking a few places out with people during ASW...

Not on the FB group yet since I haven't made my final decisions--come on scholarships!!

Fair amount of my classmates live there. But there are not a lot of available units. Too expensive for many.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:Hi all,

From what I've read/heard, Domus is super expensive. There seem to be ample 1 BR's around for half the price. I'm going to spend most of ASW checking out apartments, so I'd be happy to come with.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”