Penn Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ReversedAndRemanded

New

Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:10 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamsjp2010/3051031169/

Congratulations and welcome to Penn Law!

Penn Law Students Answer Questions

Class of 2015 Facebook group

ADMITTED STUDENTS WEEKEND: Thursday, March 22-Saturday, March 24, 2012

PENN LAW PREVIEW DAY: Saturday, April 14, 2012
Last edited by ReversedAndRemanded on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:10 pm

hey, anyone who has decided definitively on Penn: please post your choice here if you would like to be included

VictoryGin

New

Post by VictoryGin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

In ED today-- Very, very happy about it.

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 pm

In today via ED! Can't wait for more to join :-)

hoya11

New

Post by hoya11 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 pm

In today via ED also! Very excited!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:20 am

Welcome future 1Ls!

(I've been waiting to say this)

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 am

Good to be here finally. See you all in Philly... And R6, what is the housing like outside of campus, and what is the school's status on having a job during law school?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:Good to be here finally. See you all in Philly... And R6, what is the housing like outside of campus, and what is the school's status on having a job during law school?
Housing - plenty depends on your budget. Plan to go visit some neighborhoods when you come visit during ASW and check them out. The best place is right across the street if you can put up the rent. If you can walk/bike/train like 10 minutes you can find good bargains.

Job: you are allowed, but strongly discouraged. I was planning on working, but I am glad it didn't work out. 1L is hard work, and you should really be devoting all your time to it. The hardest part about 1L is all the reading that will literally take you 3-4 hours a day to get through if you actually want to read everything instead of cutting corners.

I know people have worked as a resident assistant at the UG dorm and got to stay there fore free. You may consider that.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:05 pm

2015er here!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

4julye

New

Post by 4julye » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MiamiOxford wrote:Good to be here finally. See you all in Philly... And R6, what is the housing like outside of campus, and what is the school's status on having a job during law school?
Housing - plenty depends on your budget. Plan to go visit some neighborhoods when you come visit during ASW and check them out. The best place is right across the street if you can put up the rent. If you can walk/bike/train like 10 minutes you can find good bargains.

Job: you are allowed, but strongly discouraged. I was planning on working, but I am glad it didn't work out. 1L is hard work, and you should really be devoting all your time to it. The hardest part about 1L is all the reading that will literally take you 3-4 hours a day to get through if you actually want to read everything instead of cutting corners.

I know people have worked as a resident assistant at the UG dorm and got to stay there fore free. You may consider that.
Thanks for the tips! In your opinion, do you think it's worth looking into graduate housing or are apts around the school (radius of a block or two away) much cheaper?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 pm

4julye wrote:
Thanks for the tips! In your opinion, do you think it's worth looking into graduate housing or are apts around the school (radius of a block or two away) much cheaper?
Anything really close is super expensive. In that sense, if you want to be close graduate student housing may be best. But graduate student housing isn't the best from what I hear. I commute, so maybe other students are better at answering these questions.

There was a panel at ASW, so you guys can definitely get some answer then.

Do be careful with cheap off-campus housing. Sometimes they are ok places to live but not very suitable places for a law student (due to noise, neighbors, etc.)

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Different neighborhoods provide different things, and each has their own pros and cons:

Immediately in the vicinity of school can get really expensive (Domus is right across the street and it is $$$$). The further you get away from school, though, the less expensive it is. Keep in mind, the general rule about West Philly (incl. University City) is that the safer neighborhoods go in a southwesterly direction as you move away from campus.

Powelton Village (north of Market in the low-to-mid 30s) can be nice and relatively inexpensive, but it's also where a lot of Drexel undergrads live (and where their fraternity houses are).

A lot of students who live downtown live right across the Schuylkill River in western Center City, in an area roughly bounded by Market St. to the north, 16th St. to the east, South St. to the south, and the river on the west. There's a range of options and prices (walkups, doorman buildings).

Another contingent lives further east in Old City/Northern Liberties and take the subway to get to and from campus, which has several stops at Market & 11th/8th/5th/2nd Streets. The closest stop to the law school is at 34th/Chestnut, one block north of school.

I don't know much about people living in Fairmount or Graduate Hospital, though they are options--I'm sure someone else could provide more info about those.

annieq

New

Post by annieq » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:31 am

Congrats to the new admits!
I deferred two years ago and can't wait to get back to Philly this fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm

For those of you already in Penn law or know people who are, how are you funding the living expenses/food, etc.? I ask because I have been told numerous time not to work during law school (especially not while at Penn), and I'm wondering how I am going to live lol Do you just take out a bunch of loans? (I'm very debt averse, but being ED I don't see any scholarships coming down the pipe, fwiw).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:For those of you already in Penn law or know people who are, how are you funding the living expenses/food, etc.? I ask because I have been told numerous time not to work during law school (especially not while at Penn), and I'm wondering how I am going to live lol Do you just take out a bunch of loans? (I'm very debt averse, but being ED I don't see any scholarships coming down the pipe, fwiw).

Your budget allows for room and board. You can borrow up to the limit of your budget, which generally is enough if you don't live lavishly. (expected family contribution can also be borrowed on GradPLUS loans).

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MiamiOxford wrote:For those of you already in Penn law or know people who are, how are you funding the living expenses/food, etc.? I ask because I have been told numerous time not to work during law school (especially not while at Penn), and I'm wondering how I am going to live lol Do you just take out a bunch of loans? (I'm very debt averse, but being ED I don't see any scholarships coming down the pipe, fwiw).

Your budget allows for room and board. You can borrow up to the limit of your budget, which generally is enough if you don't live lavishly. (expected family contribution can also be borrowed on GradPLUS loans).
So is that what most people generally do then (take out loans for living, etc. and not work)?

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 pm

MiamiOxford wrote: So is that what most people generally do then (take out loans for living, etc. and not work)?
That's what I'm doing. Sure you can't go crazy with your spending, but it's certainly doable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:
MiamiOxford wrote: So is that what most people generally do then (take out loans for living, etc. and not work)?
That's what I'm doing. Sure you can't go crazy with your spending, but it's certainly doable.
Ok, thanks for the info.. the employment prospects Penn claims makes this seem not so bad. In a PM could anyone tell me how accurate these median 160,000 salaries really are? I get that it depends on a lot (such as biglaw, private v. public, area, etc.), but I'm wondering how the graduate you all might know are fairing in this economy, and how difficult biglaw prospects are from Penn?

4julye

New

Post by 4julye » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Did any of you get an admit email? I think I remember being told on Friday that I would be getting an email that afternoon, but haven't received anything yet.

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm hearing plenty of horror stories about Philly in general (being a rough/dangerous place, etc.). Is this just outsider scare, or what?
I'm close to Cincinnati, which some consider bad, but like every big city, depends on where exactly you are.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:I'm hearing plenty of horror stories about Philly in general (being a rough/dangerous place, etc.). Is this just outsider scare, or what?
I'm close to Cincinnati, which some consider bad, but like every big city, depends on where exactly you are.
Stay around Penn and Center City. Don't go party around Temple. The rest of city has it's rough spots, but generally around Penn/Center City it's as safe as anywhere in the country.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Stay around Penn and Center City. Don't go party around Temple. The rest of city has it's rough spots, but generally around Penn/Center City it's as safe as anywhere in the country.
+1 to this. And most Penn people pretty much stick around that area as it is. You really won't ever have a reason (or a desire) to go near Temple or go too far west.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Checking in here since I think there's a very good chance I'll be joining you guys next year. :D

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Great to finally be able to post in this thread. :D So excited for next year.

Copacetic1

New

Post by Copacetic1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

checking in also! so excited for next year :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”