Penn Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
taikofox

New

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by taikofox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Anybody get a mix of merit and need-based aid yet?

So far, I've only received my financial aid notice, including a "law grant," which I assume is based solely on need (no mention of any merit scholarship). I've heard that merit and need work separately at Penn, so one isn't indicative of the other (unlike at Michigan where once you get merit aid, you're automatically disqualified from need aid).

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 pm

taikofox wrote:Anybody get a mix of merit and need-based aid yet?

So far, I've only received my financial aid notice, including a "law grant," which I assume is based solely on need (no mention of any merit scholarship). I've heard that merit and need work separately at Penn, so one isn't indicative of the other (unlike at Michigan where once you get merit aid, you're automatically disqualified from need aid).
That's your merit aid.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Nelson wrote:
taikofox wrote:Anybody get a mix of merit and need-based aid yet?

That's your merit aid.
Really? My email started out saying "The university of pennsylvania law school has received and reviewed your application for financial aid assistance," and the attached letter says I "don't qualify for any need-based financial aid (grant)." Is that for merit aid too? I've been sending Penn other schools' offers and if they don't give me any $$ I'm going to be really sad.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm

How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:49 pm

westphillybandr wrote:How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?
With a roommate you should be able to find something easily at less than the 1k/month they budget. It will take some more legwork if you're looking for a place by yourself, but it's doable if you don't live in a fancy building and/or you live in West Philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:27 am

Nelson wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?
With a roommate you should be able to find something easily at less than the 1k/month they budget. It will take some more legwork if you're looking for a place by yourself, but it's doable if you don't live in a fancy building and/or you live in West Philly.
Do they really budget 1k/month for rent. Correct me if I'm wrong but that leaves $488/month for everything else. Including groceries, entertainment, transportation etc. Is that realistic?

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:04 am

Will they tell you if they decided not to give you any financial aid?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 am

westphillybandr wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Do they really budget 1k/month for rent. Correct me if I'm wrong but that leaves $488/month for everything else. Including groceries, entertainment, transportation etc. Is that realistic?
PMed.

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 am

Last edited by Dato on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 am

jpal13 wrote:Will they tell you if they decided not to give you any financial aid?
Did you not get the email with the link to the goofy loan planner yet? Maybe that means you're still under consideration.

Their response to my negotiation email said, "Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made by the second week in April."

QueMellow

Bronze

Post by QueMellow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Dato wrote:Anybody else a Toll finalist or will be in Philly next weekend?

I'm crazy excited.
+1

I'll be there!

QueMellow

Bronze

Post by QueMellow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Is anyone interested in living in a big, beautiful house in West Philly (42nd and Spruce, like a 15-20 minute walk from school)? It's a hip area with a lot of young people and families, good restaurants, thriving art scene, etc. There are 8 bedrooms, so for those of you worried about rent, it figures to about $600/month. Let me know and I can send you pictures and info. Also, I'll be in Philly next week from Wednesday to Sunday for Preview Day and to check the place out. Let me know if you want to come along!

Can't wait to meet you all!

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:21 pm

QueMellow wrote:Is anyone interested in living in a big, beautiful house in West Philly (42nd and Spruce, like a 15-20 minute walk from school)? It's a hip area with a lot of young people and families, good restaurants, thriving art scene, etc. There are 8 bedrooms, so for those of you worried about rent, it figures to about $600/month. Let me know and I can send you pictures and info. Also, I'll be in Philly next week from Wednesday to Sunday for Preview Day and to check the place out. Let me know if you want to come along!

Yea I would be interested!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 pm

QueMellow wrote:Is anyone interested in living in a big, beautiful house in West Philly (42nd and Spruce, like a 15-20 minute walk from school)? It's a hip area with a lot of young people and families, good restaurants, thriving art scene, etc. There are 8 bedrooms, so for those of you worried about rent, it figures to about $600/month. Let me know and I can send you pictures and info. Also, I'll be in Philly next week from Wednesday to Sunday for Preview Day and to check the place out. Let me know if you want to come along!

I will be on board if I get this Toll Scholarship! Id definitely like to check the place out. I fly intoin PHL onat Thursday morning and I'll be around through Saturday.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi guys, can someone give an example or two of the named scholarships that everyone is talking about? What does it usually take to get one? Thanks (sorry if the answer is lurking further within this thread).

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Shooter wrote:Hi guys, can someone give an example or two of the named scholarships that everyone is talking about? What does it usually take to get one? Thanks (sorry if the answer is lurking further within this thread).
If you haven't already heard, don't worry about them since they're all gone. There's a breakdown on the website if you want to dream of what might have been.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Nelson wrote:
Shooter wrote:Hi guys, can someone give an example or two of the named scholarships that everyone is talking about? What does it usually take to get one? Thanks (sorry if the answer is lurking further within this thread).
If you haven't already heard, don't worry about them since they're all gone. There's a breakdown on the website if you want to dream of what might have been.
Are you sure they have all been accepted? They are not always accepted and I am not sure if all people who got them were from the first round of review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Are you sure they have all been accepted? They are not always accepted and I am not sure if all people who got them were from the first round of review.
Huh? He would know if he was an alternate since they had to apply as well.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh, I see. I got one of those. Cool!

Does anyone know the breakdown of how many of each type of scholly are given out per entering class?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Anyone else get the Paul Hastings/Law Preview thing? Is it worth sending in an application? Do we know how many people typically get it?

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Anyone else get the Paul Hastings/Law Preview thing? Is it worth sending in an application? Do we know how many people typically get it?
Do you have to be URM for that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:Anyone else get the Paul Hastings/Law Preview thing? Is it worth sending in an application? Do we know how many people typically get it?
I got it too.

Edit: Yeah, only for URMs it seems.

taikofox

New

Post by taikofox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 pm

justicefishy wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:
I got it too.

I got it; I'm not URM.

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 pm

taikofox wrote:
justicefishy wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:
I got it too.

I got it; I'm not URM.
Yup, same. But I think to qualify for a scholarship you have to be a URM or LGBT or something - it says it on the website if you click through.

QueMellow

Bronze

Post by QueMellow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey, to all those interested in living in the Big House:

It's been taken. A moment of silence for a beautiful, huge home gone much too soon.

But, I'm still looking to live in a large house with a large number of 1Ls, so here's the deal. If you want the same, please either respond here, or message me with the answers to these questions:

1) Are you going to Preview Day?
2) If so, do you want to look at some big houses with me and others?
3) When's the earliest you are willing to move to Philly? For me, it's July. I realize that might be too early for some, so I could stay in town with my girlfriend until people are ready...

My apologies if this seems annoying or spammy. I feel adamantly about sharing a house with people going through such an intense experience, and I think it'll pay huge mental health and social dividends. Westphilly and Dato, PM me so we can exchange contact info. I'll be in town Thursday through Sunday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”