UTexas Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
utlaw2007

Silver

Re: UTexas Law Class of 2015

Post by utlaw2007 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:57 pm

kirker wrote:I'm not going to UT Law, but I noticed this board and wanted to point out a few things:

1) The only thing worse than the housing situation around UT is the parking. The smartest thing to do is to plan on living somewhere on the very extensive (and free for students) UT Shuttle system, which covers a pretty wide swath both north of campus and also in certain areas of town 5-10 miles away that are basically "student ghettos" (apartment complexes filled almost entirely with UT students). This being Austin, housing isn't cheap, and the closer you are to UT, the pricier it gets. If you really, really want to live within walking (or at least biking) distance to campus, try searching just north of it (the law school is on the campus's northern border). Avoid the West Campus neighborhood unless you want lots of partying frat boys in your midst.

2) Student housing is minimal at best, and what's available sucks across the board. Better bet finding something along the shuttle route.

3) Commuting by car and trying to park near campus is dicey at best. You can't get an on-campus permit as a commuter student, meaning you'll have to park either in a metered spot or in an adjacent neighborhood (most of which have permit-only street parking). I don't know the current rates for renting a parking spot near the law school, but I think it's around $200/month.

4) As noted, a number of regular CapitalMetro buses serve the UT area, and are also free for students (though not for their exclusive use like the shuttles are). That might be your best option if you live in parts of East Austin, which is presently the hipster area of town (but nevertheless much cheaper than most housing west of I-35).

Good luck! Btw there are a bunch of smaller, older apartment complexes within walking distance of the law school, but like I said, they're not cheap. The only two people I know in that area pay $1600 for a 2BR/1BA apartment.
This post is mostly right. I'll just point out one thing to relay more accurate info. You can park near the law school campus at will. However, you need to purchase a permit. I can't remember how much permits cost, but they are reasonable. I had one and I'm very cheap. They allow you to park in the law school faculty parking lot. Just make sure that you don't park in the actual spots reserved ONLY for faculty or else you'll get towed or ticketed. You can always park in the LBJ library parking lot. That will be about a ten to fifteen minute (15 minutes if you walk slow like I do) walk to the law school campus. And if you are running late or you must park right next to the law school, you can park in the parking garage. It charges by the hour for a total of 9 dollars for a day unless it has gone up since I was there.

Oh, I forgot. The LBJ library is for guest parking. If you have a permit, you cannot park there. I forgot that I used to park there all the time. I just hid my permit. But you cannot draw attention to yourself. You have to mix it up somehow. Because once they run your license plate and subsequently see you have a permit, they will ticket you if you park there. All in all, I received four parking tickets, which is not bad at all considering all the times I illegally parked. There is permit parking on the other side of the stadium. But that's like a 20-25 minute walk to the law school. But it's your parking fail safe if you can't get closer on a given morning.

But if you show up around 10 am or later to park, you will be screwed because every last parking space on campus will be taken up and you'll be forced to park in the garage for 9 bucks that day.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 pm

kirker wrote:I'm not going to UT Law, but I noticed this board and wanted to point out a few things:

1) The only thing worse than the housing situation around UT is the parking. The smartest thing to do is to plan on living somewhere on the very extensive (and free for students) UT Shuttle system, which covers a pretty wide swath both north of campus and also in certain areas of town 5-10 miles away that are basically "student ghettos" (apartment complexes filled almost entirely with UT students). This being Austin, housing isn't cheap, and the closer you are to UT, the pricier it gets. If you really, really want to live within walking (or at least biking) distance to campus, try searching just north of it (the law school is on the campus's northern border). Avoid the West Campus neighborhood unless you want lots of partying frat boys in your midst.

2) Student housing is minimal at best, and what's available sucks across the board. Better bet finding something along the shuttle route.

3) Commuting by car and trying to park near campus is dicey at best. You can't get an on-campus permit as a commuter student, meaning you'll have to park either in a metered spot or in an adjacent neighborhood (most of which have permit-only street parking). I don't know the current rates for renting a parking spot near the law school, but I think it's around $200/month.

4) As noted, a number of regular CapitalMetro buses serve the UT area, and are also free for students (though not for their exclusive use like the shuttles are). That might be your best option if you live in parts of East Austin, which is presently the hipster area of town (but nevertheless much cheaper than most housing west of I-35).

Good luck! Btw there are a bunch of smaller, older apartment complexes within walking distance of the law school, but like I said, they're not cheap. The only two people I know in that area pay $1600 for a 2BR/1BA apartment.
Students who try the day they go on sale should be able to get a parking pass to San Jacinto Garage for something like $700/yr, which isn't that bad of a deal. Like the previous poster mentioned, there is also street level parking that is usually available--I know plenty of people who rely on that on a daily basis. I also know plenty of people who bike to school (and they usually leave their books in their locker at school). Austin is a very biker-friendly city (minus the few asshole drivers who hate bikers). I also know plenty of people who use the shuttle. All that to say--the parking situation really isn't that bad. You have options, and if you don't like most of these options then suck it up and make sure you are ready to buy a parking pass to the San Jacinto Garage when they go on sale later in the summer.

Housing is most certainly, on average, more expensive the closer you get to the law school. That said, the only place I know that charges over 1500 a month for a 2BR/2BA is Gables, which isn't super-close to the law school, but it's one of the nicest apartment complexes in Austin. (The Triangle is also pretty expensive, as well as not super-close, but it's also really nice.) Most places in hyde park (and even right across from the law school) range, at most, between 1,200-1350 for 2 bedroom. (So, basically, the two people you know paying 1600/month are probably getting ripped off--especially if they're at River Oaks.) You can get a decent amount cheaper if you are around 45th street and more north (think tanglewood and the other apartment complex just north of the flag store.)
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Austin also has a train system now that runs near UT (with a shuttle that drops you off right in front of the law school). I've been using it for the past two years without any issue, driving to campus only when needed (just a few times a year), which allows me to live at a relatively new complex (2 years old) at a reasonable rate ($1400/2BR/2BA).

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Finally officially signed a lease. Very excited.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:25 am

emkay625 wrote:Finally officially signed a lease. Very excited.
Grats! I'll probably be signing one soon. I'm looking off of Red River (very near the law school).

On another note- does anyone here know (or knows somebody that would know) how 1L summer internships are looking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 am

eaper wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Finally officially signed a lease. Very excited.
Grats! I'll probably be signing one soon. I'm looking off of Red River (very near the law school).

On another note- does anyone here know (or knows somebody that would know) how 1L summer internships are looking?
I had the same question.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:50 am

eaper wrote:does anyone here know (or knows somebody that would know) how 1L summer internships are looking?
UT 2L. You'll have to be more specific about what sort of 1L summer jobs. 1L Summer Associateships (SAs) are rare. There is Spring OCI, which 1Ls can participate in to get some exposure to firms, but most students are forced to go a different route. Judicial Externships are common -- plenty of students from my class got jobs with Federal Judges, both in Texas and OOS, and many of them get class credit. Other common landing spots for 1L summers are working government, public interest, small firms, or legal departments of private companies. You will have lots of opportunities in the fall to learn about your options. Basically, if you put the effort into your job search, and most everyone I know did, you'll end up with a good 1L summer gig and great legal experience.

For the moment though, besides updating your resume and perhaps drafting some generic cover letters, you shouldn't be focused on the job search yet. Instead, relax this summer. I recommend reading Getting to Maybe, and maybe book like Scott Turow's 1L. Otherwise, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row, i.e. housing figured out, financial aid accepted, undergrad transcript(s) submitted...whatever else. Good luck with it -- 1L isn't as bad as people make it seem.

itzdaranman

New

Post by itzdaranman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey yall, just got off the waitlist yesterday afternoon and will be returning to UT after 2 very long years! I'm very excited to meet all of you and look forward to starting school in the fall.

Soooo, how's the house hunting going everyone? As I am currently in Chicago, trying to find a place is going to suck big time...

Anyone looking for a roommate?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey I'm a 2L as well and I'm also willing to answer questions about... well, anything. classes, austin, etc....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey I'm a 2L as well and I'm also willing to answer questions about... well, anything. classes, austin, etc....
As someone from the south but not TX, would employers still view me as an "outsider"?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hey I'm a 2L as well and I'm also willing to answer questions about... well, anything. classes, austin, etc....
As someone from the south but not TX, would employers still view me as an "outsider"?
FYI to anyone that asks me a Q, I'll be responding to most of you via PM, because I'll be using personal anecdotes.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Yes to a certain extent. Your articulated reasons for wanting to be here though are slightly more believable than someone from say, the west coast or the northeast.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:58 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Yes to a certain extent. Your articulated reasons for wanting to be here though are slightly more believable than someone from say, the west coast or the northeast.
I'm from Arizona, should I just not attend then?

Know anyone that tried/is trying to get back to the Phoenix market?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

I graduated UT Law five years ago.

I think you should attend. I have no idea of what it's like trying to get back to the Phoenix market. I would think it's not hard coming from UT, but that is just my opinion. But I had several out of state classmates that were able to get biglaw Dallas and Houston jobs. I think it's understandable that you develop a connection to the region if the law school you attend is in the same region. That's just my opinion from my observations.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

edit: meant to PM that

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 pm

So I got the summer parking permit after seeing on the facebook group that it could help you get a fall permit.

What are the next steps? When do fall permits go on sale?

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 pm

emkay625 wrote:When do fall permits go on sale?

Anyone have this info?

Also, I'm still looking for housing. If anyone has any info please PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

p. rex

New

Post by p. rex » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey all, just been admitted to UT Law from the waitlist, and thought I'd make my presence known. It's a good thing -- I just finished undergrad at UT, but I wasn't quite ready to be done with Austin. :wink:

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 pm

p. rex wrote:Hey all, just been admitted to UT Law from the waitlist, and thought I'd make my presence known. It's a good thing -- I just finished undergrad at UT, but I wasn't quite ready to be done with Austin. :wink:
Congrats!

confusedguy

New

Post by confusedguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 am

I need help with a decision. Upenn Law vs UT law. I want to work in Texas after law school. Here are the factors I'm considering:

1. Cost - $90-100,000 more at UPenn
2. Big Law Job (160K) after graduation
3. Percentile comparison (my research has shown that UT top 25% is comparable to the UPenn top 35%)

Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:42 am

confusedguy wrote:I need help with a decision. Upenn Law vs UT law. I want to work in Texas after law school. Here are the factors I'm considering:

1. Cost - $90-100,000 more at UPenn
2. Big Law Job (160K) after graduation
3. Percentile comparison (my research has shown that UT top 25% is comparable to the UPenn top 35%)

Any advice is helpful. Thanks.
From what I can tell, you need to be in the top 40% to get a big law job out of UT (and about 30% of the overall class get them), whereas at Penn, big law hires median students. I think this comes down to a personal preference regarding comfort with debt. If you are extremely debt averse, UT is the way to go, since you still have a pretty good shot at big law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer questions.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Probably jumping the gun, but do any rising 2Ls or up have suggestions on where to get books for class? I heard a lot of 1Ls don't have much time to find them, so they have to pay out the ass. Thanks for the help.

granger

Bronze

Post by granger » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:59 pm

use your school email address to sign up for prime and get your books there. try to avoid using the one-click purchase feature when you're drunk 8)

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm

granger wrote:use your school email address to sign up for prime and get your books there. try to avoid using the one-click purchase feature when you're drunk 8)
Sounds like tried and tested advice. Thanks d(^.^)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”