Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:Random culturally-related question related to NU's campus... watching the Chicago Code episode 1 to get me geared up for next fall and thought there might be a location shot at/or around NU...

for those of you who have access to netflix, I am talking about Season 1 Episode 1 at 20:18. It says Municipal Building but the pan shot is in streeterville, within a stone's throw of Hancock...

Does anyone recognize this shot/scene?

Thanks.


My tour guide told me that they definitely filmed in NU's buildings.

User avatar
XCanadian91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby XCanadian91 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote:Random culturally-related question related to NU's campus... watching the Chicago Code episode 1 to get me geared up for next fall and thought there might be a location shot at/or around NU...

for those of you who have access to netflix, I am talking about Season 1 Episode 1 at 20:18. It says Municipal Building but the pan shot is in streeterville, within a stone's throw of Hancock...

Does anyone recognize this shot/scene?

Thanks.


My tour guide told me that they definitely filmed in NU's buildings.



You rock.

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote:Random culturally-related question related to NU's campus... watching the Chicago Code episode 1 to get me geared up for next fall and thought there might be a location shot at/or around NU...

for those of you who have access to netflix, I am talking about Season 1 Episode 1 at 20:18. It says Municipal Building but the pan shot is in streeterville, within a stone's throw of Hancock...

Does anyone recognize this shot/scene?

Thanks.


My tour guide told me that they definitely filmed in NU's buildings.



You rock.


The Chicago Code was substantially filmed on the Northwestern Law campus in Chicago.[10] This television drama premiered on Fox on February 7, 2011.[11] Filming at Northwestern Law began in August 2010.[10] Classrooms in the Law School are depicted as interior offices for the fictional offices for City administration. Levy Mayer 212 served as the main taping location at the Law School.[10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Law_School

User avatar
XCanadian91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby XCanadian91 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:58 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote:Random culturally-related question related to NU's campus... watching the Chicago Code episode 1 to get me geared up for next fall and thought there might be a location shot at/or around NU...

for those of you who have access to netflix, I am talking about Season 1 Episode 1 at 20:18. It says Municipal Building but the pan shot is in streeterville, within a stone's throw of Hancock...

Does anyone recognize this shot/scene?

Thanks.


My tour guide told me that they definitely filmed in NU's buildings.



You rock.


The Chicago Code was substantially filmed on the Northwestern Law campus in Chicago.[10] This television drama premiered on Fox on February 7, 2011.[11] Filming at Northwestern Law began in August 2010.[10] Classrooms in the Law School are depicted as interior offices for the fictional offices for City administration. Levy Mayer 212 served as the main taping location at the Law School.[10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Law_School


Touche.

Guess I should have researched this prior to posting... was just so excited to see NU on camera that I simply didn't do due diligence.


Danke.

Nevertheless, GO NU!

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby tjddk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 pm

tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.


THIS.

I thought Chicago would not impress me but it really has a lot of SF about it. I still prefer SF, warts and all, but Chicago is definitely a really nice city and I REALLY wouldn't mind going there if they would just accept me already.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.


I also come from CA and I have to say, I love Chicago too! It's like a much cleaner, less out of control version of San Francisco and, not going to lie, I love how it's flat and right next to a body of water (runner's paradise anyone?).

Of course, this could all change when the winter season hits...

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.


I also come from CA and I have to say, I love Chicago too! It's like a much cleaner, less out of control version of San Francisco and, not going to lie, I love how it's flat and right next to a body of water (runner's biker's paradise anyone?).

Of course, this could all change when the winter season hits...

FTFM :lol:

But yeah, I agree with that 100%. There are definitely things I like more about SF (ie: Chinatown, Castro, no crazy snow, etc) but for the most part it's pretty fucking awesome.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 am

Hey, we have a Chinatown, too. And Boystown. And Malört. Soooo...it's pretty much the best.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 am

Samara wrote:Hey, we have a Chinatown, too. And Boystown. And Malört. Soooo...it's pretty much the best.


+1

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.


I also come from CA and I have to say, I love Chicago too! It's like a much cleaner, less out of control version of San Francisco and, not going to lie, I love how it's flat and right next to a body of water (runner's biker's paradise anyone?).

Of course, this could all change when the winter season hits...

FTFM :lol:

But yeah, I agree with that 100%. There are definitely things I like more about SF (ie: Chinatown, Castro, no crazy snow, etc) but for the most part it's pretty fucking awesome.


Are you referring to the "tourist's Chinatown" or the REAL Chinatown (down Irving street in the sunset)? If you're referring to Irving St., then yes, it is pretty damn awesome!

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby tjddk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:06 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
tjddk wrote:About to board my flight to Chicago :) There for less than 24 hours but hoping walking around campus/Chicago solidifies my decision to move (almost) across the country.

Trust me IT WILL. Chicago is an awesome city. I didn't originally expect to like it, but it reminds me of a cleaner and flatter SF.


I also come from CA and I have to say, I love Chicago too! It's like a much cleaner, less out of control version of San Francisco and, not going to lie, I love how it's flat and right next to a body of water (runner's paradise anyone?).

Of course, this could all change when the winter season hits...


You guys are awesome :)

Back to the housing discussion, I checked out a few places during my visit... Didn't go to McClurg bc of time/friend thought they were a bit overpriced compared to those nearby. My friend liked Lakeshore Plaza, but their leasing agent couldn't see me today. I did notice that at 860 DeWitt and a few other places, they were going to waive my move-in fee for proof of NU affiliation, so don't forget to mention NU! Overall a short but productive trip, and excited to get home and send in my deposit. I'll probably put myself on the wait list for one of the places I saw today... 1300-1400 is more than I was willing to spend on rent but I'd rather be comfortable and close by my first year...
Last edited by tjddk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:45 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:[Are you referring to the "tourist's Chinatown" or the REAL Chinatown (down Irving street in the sunset)? If you're referring to Irving St., then yes, it is pretty damn awesome!


wow, I can't believe I had never heard of/been to that place. I just walked down it in google streetview, but it's not quite the same :lol:

User avatar
XCanadian91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby XCanadian91 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Samara wrote:Hey, we have a Chinatown, too. And Boystown. And Malört. Soooo...it's pretty much the best.

Where is Chicago Chinatown? I know where the latino markets are (thanks to Bayless) but don't know much else...
Mal(umlaut over the)o rt?? Over the top but well done... : ) What is Malört?

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cmob » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am

XCanadian91 wrote: What is Malört?


Imagine if someone discovered how to ferment earwax. Not a road you want to go down.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 am

cmob wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote: What is Malört?


Imagine if someone discovered how to ferment earwax. Not a road you want to go down.

Your whore mouth. Malört is not just a liquor, but an experience. Unlike any other.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 am

Has anyone used Chicago Apartment Finders and can comment on how good it is?

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:25 am

..

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

Samara wrote:
cmob wrote:
XCanadian91 wrote: What is Malört?


Imagine if someone discovered how to ferment earwax. Not a road you want to go down.

Your whore mouth. Malört is not just a liquor, but an experience. Unlike any other.


Experience is definitely right. Good experience? hmm....

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I hope you guys are up for broomball next year. I think we should play the UChi students.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:I hope you guys are up for broomball next year. I think we should play the UChi students.


What's broomball? Is that.... Quidditch?

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:I hope you guys are up for broomball next year. I think we should play the UChi students.


What's broomball? Is that.... Quidditch?


hahaha. I've always wondered what an actual game of quidditch would look like. Do people just pretend to fly on brooms? Do they make whooshing sounds as they cavort around? I think Michigan actually does have a quidditch team.

Broomball is super fun because it's kind of impossible to be good at it. Basically, you get in an ice rink with a broom and sweep a ball around and attempt to get it into a goal. No ice skates allowed, only sneakers with good traction.

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby tjddk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:I hope you guys are up for broomball next year. I think we should play the UChi students.


I AM SO DOWN.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

tjddk wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:I hope you guys are up for broomball next year. I think we should play the UChi students.


I AM SO DOWN.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest