Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Samara

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Rink, it's probably cheaper to sell your TV and buy one when you get here. There's often good deals on Craigslist.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah, the move is going to blow. I have to start shipping clothes in the next month because I have no clue how long the 'slow boat' from China takes and I certainly can't afford any legitimate shipping option. On the upside, I have a cousin in Chicago so I don't have to ship it to Texas just to turn around and ship it to Chicago.

On a brighter note, congrats on all the scholarship money!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:but...TV! :(
There really doesn't seem to be any way to move a TV besides A)yourself or B)movers.
I'm kind of wondering if it'd be cheaper to freight ship everything besides the TV, and just buy a new TV in Chicago. They've come down in price so much in recent years I could probably even replace my 42" with the same size.

I would have freightshipped my 30" monitor with all my other stuff had it not died right before I moved (I had the original packaging box with styrofoam). A 42" TV would fit on a pallet and it could sandwiched in the middle (standing upright) so it would have all the protection it needs. I would be okay with that but maybe you are warier. Could just ship it UPS and insure it (probably cost around $100ish) and if it broke you'd get $ to just buy a new TV. All of my recent TV's/monitors were bought online and shipped to me. As long as its insured I have no problems shipping it. I'd estimate it would probably cost around $100 to ship UPS (maybe more), but that's just a guess. If you don't have the original box/packaging (or something comparable) it might be tougher. I would seriously check FedEx/UPS to see how much it would cost with insurance.

As Samara said, selling and rebuying might be the way to go.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am

Impromptu road trip to my parents house this weekend with my roommate- holy crap I need to pack as much of my shit as possible to take to their house 0_o

On another note: how do we feel about a NU dinner club? (we pick a night of the week for dinner club night and take turns cooking dinner for everyone in the group) the one I'm in here is pretty awesome and pretty casual; sometimes it's a dinner party, sometimes it's "I made enchiladas, bring your Tupperware and come get some."

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Impromptu road trip to my parents house this weekend with my roommate- holy crap I need to pack as much of my shit as possible to take to their house 0_o

On another note: how do we feel about a NU dinner club? (we pick a night of the week for dinner club night and take turns cooking dinner for everyone in the group) the one I'm in here is pretty awesome and pretty casual; sometimes it's a dinner party, sometimes it's "I made enchiladas, bring your Tupperware and come get some."

That sounds like a great idea. I always wanted to do something like that, but unfortunately I always had friends who were hopeless at cooking.

nini11

Postby nini11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Impromptu road trip to my parents house this weekend with my roommate- holy crap I need to pack as much of my shit as possible to take to their house 0_o

I don't know how to cook :( but I intend to learn this summer so I should be able to prepare good AND healthy food :)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am

Kikero wrote:

That sounds like a great idea. I always wanted to do something like that, but unfortunately I always had friends who were hopeless at cooking.

I'm an excellent cook. And I own an espresso machine. I plan to buy friends with Alfredo sauce and coffee.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 am

nini11 wrote:

I don't know how to cook :( but I intend to learn this summer so I should be able to prepare good AND healthy food :)

First step: buy a crock pot. It's a lifesaver for busy people: throw stuff into it in the morning, long day of classes, come home and dinner has COOKED ITSELF. Magic!!

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 am

nini11 wrote:

The internet makes learning to cook super easy. I couldn't make anything but mac & cheese when I started college. Within a year I actually had a guy pay me to cook for his and his gf's anniversary dinner :P

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 am

A dinner club sounds awesome!

We could do potlucks sometimes, too. Either themed (everyone bring something bacon/everyone bring an appetizer) or split up a menu (you bring entree, you bring dessert)

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

I think i'm really going to love it at NU. I throw dinner parties all the time here in DC and have been told my cooking isn't so bad, either (it may have to do with the bottles of wine also served, but hey, I'll take all the compliments I can get).

Now I understand the 100% more Scarlet!

nini11

Postby nini11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:A dinner club sounds awesome!

We could do potlucks sometimes, too. Either themed (everyone bring something bacon/everyone bring an appetizer) or split up a menu (you bring entree, you bring dessert)

Dessert, I can bring as much as needed, it's the first thing I intend to learn lol already started, yummy to fudge chocolate cake!!!!!

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:

I'm an excellent cook. And I own an espresso machine. I plan to buy friends with Alfredo sauce and coffee.

Stop. Just stop. I love you already.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I can make pulled pork or this really awesome cheese dip. That's about it.

Maybe I can be the dinner party sommelier?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Samara wrote:I can make pulled pork or this really awesome cheese dip. That's about it.

That could work, because I am a wine idiot. I have 2 kinds of muscato that I like because it tastes like grape soda, and aside from that I choose wine by how pretty the label is (and don't drink it).

chill

Postby chill » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Samara wrote:I can make pulled pork or this really awesome cheese dip. That's about it.

You can make pulled pork AND you can be a party's sommelier?

Both sound like a plan to me.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 pm

XCanadian91 wrote:

You can make pulled pork AND you can be a party's sommelier?

Both sound like a plan to me.

Sweet. I'm in.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:19 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:On another note: how do we feel about a NU dinner club? (we pick a night of the week for dinner club night and take turns cooking dinner for everyone in the group) the one I'm in here is pretty awesome and pretty casual; sometimes it's a dinner party, sometimes it's "I made enchiladas, bring your Tupperware and come get some."

Y E S. We've been talking about this for ages and now all of us are finally in and decided and we can make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!
chill wrote:If I end up at NU (which is feeling unlikely), I'll bring the fresh, homemade fettuccine if you bring the alfredo.

Wait, why chill whyyyyyyyy :cry:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm

chill wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:

If I end up at NU (which is feeling unlikely), I'll bring the fresh, homemade fettuccine if you bring the alfredo.

Fresh fettuccine? I'm sorry, you have no choice anymore. You will be at NU. As a student or as my live-in pasta maker.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm

franklyscarlet wrote: On another note: how do we feel about a NU dinner club? (we pick a night of the week for dinner club night and take turns cooking dinner for everyone in the group) the one I'm in here is pretty awesome and pretty casual; sometimes it's a dinner party, sometimes it's "I made enchiladas, bring your Tupperware and come get some."

This sounds amazing. Count me in!

chill

Postby chill » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:51 pm

chill wrote:NU offered me no money, which is fine, but they also offered my partner no money (and other places have offered $$), which makes our choice a lot harder. I just don't think we can justify 480k in debt. Bah.

Pasta is so easy to make! Just take some flour, make a well in it, crack an egg in it, and slowly incorporate the flour into it until it forms a slightly sticky dough. Then just knead it until it gets kind of glossy? Let it sit 10-20 minutes, roll it out, and slice it as you see fit. I have a hand-crank pasta machine now with a fettuccine slicer attachment, but you could just roll it out with a rolling pin and cut it roughly to make a tagliatelle, which is what I do when I'm too lazy to get out the machine. IT IS SO EASY.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That makes me so sad. Are you at least coming to ASW?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 pm

chill wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:On another note: how do we feel about a NU dinner club? (we pick a night of the week for dinner club night and take turns cooking dinner for everyone in the group) the one I'm in here is pretty awesome and pretty casual; sometimes it's a dinner party, sometimes it's "I made enchiladas, bring your Tupperware and come get some."

Y E S. We've been talking about this for ages and now all of us are finally in and decided and we can make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!
chill wrote:If I end up at NU (which is feeling unlikely), I'll bring the fresh, homemade fettuccine if you bring the alfredo.

Wait, why chill whyyyyyyyy :cry:

NU offered me no money, which is fine, but they also offered my partner no money (and other places have offered $$), which makes our choice a lot harder. I just don't think we can justify 480k in debt. Bah.

franklyscarlet wrote:Fresh fettuccine? I'm sorry, you have no choice anymore. You will be at NU. As a student or as my live-in pasta maker.

Pasta is so easy to make! Just take some flour, make a well in it, crack an egg in it, and slowly incorporate the flour into it until it forms a slightly sticky dough. Then just knead it until it gets kind of glossy? Let it sit 10-20 minutes, roll it out, and slice it as you see fit. I have a hand-crank pasta machine now with a fettuccine slicer attachment, but you could just roll it out with a rolling pin and cut it roughly to make a tagliatelle, which is what I do when I'm too lazy to get out the machine. IT IS SO EASY.

You... You just changed my life.

terriers

Postby terriers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm not too bad at quesadillas/general Tex-Mex, a dinner club sounds awesome.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”