Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
Dato
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Dato » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Do you guys think that they are done sending out scholarship offers? I hope hope hope not!

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Dato wrote:Do you guys think that they are done sending out scholarship offers? I hope hope hope not!

All financial aid packages are going out together, so nope.

User avatar
XCanadian91
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby XCanadian91 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Dato wrote:Do you guys think that they are done sending out scholarship offers? I hope hope hope not!

I just called them and they said that more will go out today and all will go out by tomorrow.

Wow-- my first, real contribution : )

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby potl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:living in the middle of nowhere= less than $300 in rent every month. I keep reminding myself that Chicago is worth it...


Also... Chicago is probably one of the most affordable major cities in the US. Chicago rent compared to rent in the Bay area, NYC, or even Boston is ridiculously cheap.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Got the financial aid package excel...no scholly. lol @ 53k tuition.

Ditto. :/ I guess that 1 LSAT point is worth 90k/120k. Pretty bummed. I wrote (what I thought to be) pretty decent scholly essays too.

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah, nothing for me either, ah well, don't think it really affects my decision too much, but congratulations to everybody again that did get $$$.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Nothing for me either...not so sure what to do now, considering I have a full ride at Hofstra.....

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

nini11 wrote:Nothing for me either...not so sure what to do now, considering I have a full ride at Hofstra.....

Northwestern is definitely worth it over a full ride at Hofstra.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:44 pm

250000 dollars in loans gives me nightmares, considering I already have loans from undergrad.....

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Samara wrote:
nini11 wrote:Nothing for me either...not so sure what to do now, considering I have a full ride at Hofstra.....

Northwestern is definitely worth it over a full ride at Hofstra.

+1, and I'm seriously not just saying this because I'm a huge NU troll. Do you have any other options with money?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 pm

nini11 wrote:250000 dollars in loans gives me nightmares, considering I already have loans from undergrad.....

I'll be coming in with loans from undergrad. We can commiserate together. NU opens up an entirely different class of career opportunities.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Bah. I thought I'd finally gotten my loan package, but it was the "final" reminder about the Diverse Student lunch.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Kikero wrote:Bah. I thought I'd finally gotten my loan package, but it was the "final" reminder about the Diverse Student lunch.

LOL they sent like 10 emails about that x_x;;

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:Bah. I thought I'd finally gotten my loan package, but it was the "final" reminder about the Diverse Student lunch.

LOL they sent like 10 emails about that x_x;;


I know. I thought about replying and politely declining, but every time I got an e-mail I told myself "this has got to be the last one, so there's no point" but I was wrong.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
nini11 wrote:Nothing for me either...not so sure what to do now, considering I have a full ride at Hofstra.....

Northwestern is definitely worth it over a full ride at Hofstra.

+1, and I'm seriously not just saying this because I'm a huge NU troll. Do you have any other options with money?


I am looking for private scholarships but I missed most of the deadlines...I'm as poor as I can be right now lol so no I have no other options, I am trying to think out of the box but nothing comes to mind....

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Just had an extended "how on earth do I get my shit to chicago" conversation with my mother. It came down to three things:

1)Throw away all the things. Everything but clothes and books, basically.
2) Ship all non-essential clothes and books to the parents.
3) find an apartment, drive all my stuff to Chicago, move in June. Pillage Ikea.
4) parents drive my other stuff to Chicago at their leisure during the summer.

Does this seem... logical? I think it does. I've never moved into a big city before 0_o

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Just had an extended "how on earth do I get my shit to chicago" conversation with my mother. It came down to three things:

1)Throw away all the things. Everything but clothes and books, basically.
2) Ship all non-essential clothes and books to the parents.
3) find an apartment, drive all my stuff to Chicago, move in June. Pillage Ikea.
4) parents drive my other stuff to Chicago at their leisure during the summer.

Does this seem... logical? I think it does. I've never moved into a big city before 0_o
Seems logical to me if you are taking a car. I am not taking a car unless I can find a unicorn (Streeterville apartment with free reserved parking).

I'm trying to figure out how to move a TV without hiring movers or driving myself. I don't think it can be done. I won't be shipping a lot (just kitchen stuff, computer/stereo/TV), but I think I'm gonna have to use movers. I also really do not want to have to park in the street and move shit up a service elevator or whatever one does in the city. Better to let the pros do that.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Samara wrote:
nini11 wrote:250000 dollars in loans gives me nightmares, considering I already have loans from undergrad.....

I'll be coming in with loans from undergrad. We can commiserate together. NU opens up an entirely different class of career opportunities.



Loop hihi we can indeed, and u'r right about NU

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Withdrew. $60k@Chi>>>$0@NU. gl all.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Just had an extended "how on earth do I get my shit to chicago" conversation with my mother. It came down to three things:

1)Throw away all the things. Everything but clothes and books, basically.
2) Ship all non-essential clothes and books to the parents.
3) find an apartment, drive all my stuff to Chicago, move in June. Pillage Ikea.
4) parents drive my other stuff to Chicago at their leisure during the summer.

Does this seem... logical? I think it does. I've never moved into a big city before 0_o


Pretty much what I'm doing, although I'm selling my car, so basically I'll be taking whatever I can bring on a plane, and my dad's agreed to come sometime within a week of me moving in (he goes to Chicago regularly for business anyway) so that should make up for being able to bring less stuff.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Just had an extended "how on earth do I get my shit to chicago" conversation with my mother. It came down to three things:

1)Throw away all the things. Everything but clothes and books, basically.
2) Ship all non-essential clothes and books to the parents.
3) find an apartment, drive all my stuff to Chicago, move in June. Pillage Ikea.
4) parents drive my other stuff to Chicago at their leisure during the summer.

Does this seem... logical? I think it does. I've never moved into a big city before 0_o
Seems logical to me if you are taking a car. I am not taking a car unless I can find a unicorn (Streeterville apartment with free reserved parking).

I'm trying to figure out how to move a TV without hiring movers or driving myself. I don't think it can be done. I won't be shipping a lot (just kitchen stuff, computer/stereo/TV), but I think I'm gonna have to use movers. I also really do not want to have to park in the street and move shit up a service elevator or whatever one does in the city. Better to let the pros do that.


I will recommend freight shipping if you have a decent amount of stuff that you can stack neatly. I shipped around 600 lbs worth of stuff for $600. There was some fragile stuff in there (kitchen appliances, speakers, computer, ceramic dishes, pots/pans, etc, but no TV/monitor) as well as other stuff like clothing. Having it all stacked together and wrapped with movers wrap made it pretty protected than if each had been shipped individually (since nobody is picking up boxes with the possibility of dropping them, rather everything's being lifted at once on a pallet jack).

All I had to do was cop a pallet from a local business that gave me one for free and then prepare the pallet myself, they then picked it up from my parents' house and dropped it off at my apartment in Chicago (I used http://www.freightcenter.com/). It was definitely cheaper than shipping the things individually and safer imo. I guess the only risks you have is a forklift accidentally skewering your pallet in a warehouse or it falling off the liftgate when they put it on the truck (which I was irrationally worried about when they put my 600 lb pallet on the liftgate).

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:16 pm

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Just had an extended "how on earth do I get my shit to chicago" conversation with my mother. It came down to three things:

1)Throw away all the things. Everything but clothes and books, basically.
2) Ship all non-essential clothes and books to the parents.
3) find an apartment, drive all my stuff to Chicago, move in June. Pillage Ikea.
4) parents drive my other stuff to Chicago at their leisure during the summer.

Does this seem... logical? I think it does. I've never moved into a big city before 0_o
Seems logical to me if you are taking a car. I am not taking a car unless I can find a unicorn (Streeterville apartment with free reserved parking).

I'm trying to figure out how to move a TV without hiring movers or driving myself. I don't think it can be done. I won't be shipping a lot (just kitchen stuff, computer/stereo/TV), but I think I'm gonna have to use movers. I also really do not want to have to park in the street and move shit up a service elevator or whatever one does in the city. Better to let the pros do that.


I will recommend freight shipping if you have a decent amount of stuff that you can stack neatly. I shipped around 600 lbs worth of stuff for $600. There was some fragile stuff in there (kitchen appliances, speakers, computer, ceramic dishes, pots/pans, etc, but no TV/monitor) as well as other stuff like clothing. Having it all stacked together and wrapped with movers wrap made it pretty protected than if each had been shipped individually (since nobody is picking up boxes with the possibility of dropping them, rather everything's being lifted at once on a pallet jack).

All I had to do was cop a pallet from a local business that gave me one for free and then prepare the pallet myself, they then picked it up from my parents' house and dropped it off at my apartment in Chicago (I used http://www.freightcenter.com/). It was definitely cheaper than shipping the things individually and safer imo. I guess the only risks you have is a forklift accidentally skewering your pallet in a warehouse or it falling off the liftgate when they put it on the truck (which I was irrationally worried about when they put my 600 lb pallet on the liftgate).
but...TV! :(
There really doesn't seem to be any way to move a TV besides A)yourself or B)movers.
I'm kind of wondering if it'd be cheaper to freight ship everything besides the TV, and just buy a new TV in Chicago. They've come down in price so much in recent years I could probably even replace my 42" with the same size.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Withdrew. $60k@Chi>>>$0@NU. gl all.


nice, congrats and good luck :)

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby nini11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Wow, congratulations everyone! Anyone know if negotiating with NU is possible? Got some money, but definitely not a lot...


no idea, I hope so...

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

What's worked for me in the past is renting a car, taking all my stuff, and then dropping off the car at the destination. I think only National does this and it's kind of pricy. But if you don't have a ton of stuff to move, it works pretty well. So I'll just mainly take clothes, computer, books, etc. and then buy any furniture I need once I'm there.

Plus, might be kind of fun to drive to Chicago.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest