Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Samara wrote: :D You got in for the sweet, sweet banhammer action, right?

It's like being a cop. You think life is going to be all about taking down criminals and shooting baddies but when you actually get there you realize it's 90% paperwork.

gatorapplicant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:03 pm

hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:05 pm

terriers wrote:Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.


ASW's aren't work at all.

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cmob » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
terriers wrote:Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.


ASW's aren't work at all.


Guess by "work", I really mean "boredom."

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 pm

terriers wrote:
bk1 wrote:
terriers wrote:Darn, probably just got a business trip the week after ASW, hoping ASW will be more play than work.


ASW's aren't work at all.


Guess by "work", I really mean "boredom."
The only boring parts are the presentations on Financial Aid and Career Services. (Last year the Fin.Aid presentation was a powerpoint with recorded narration because the woman who would have been giving it had just had a baby like 3 days before or something.)

Everything else is interesting. You aren't stuck in one place too long, and you get to talk to plenty of people. The mock torts class last year was even, dare I say, fun.

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby dolfan0516 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month


nice
Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorapplicant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:hi, everyone! it feels wonderful to be in this thread! wish i could make asw, but unfortunately i can't justify another trip to chicago after interviewing earlier this month


Another gator?!?


YES! Yay, this basically confirms I need to go to Northwestern.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 pm

cmob wrote:I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.


you have to sign up separately for the housing tour? is it not part of the ASW?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
cmob wrote:I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.


you have to sign up separately for the housing tour? is it not part of the ASW?

The housing tour is optional. I think you are supposed to sign up, but I'm not totally sure.

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cmob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 am

Samara wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
cmob wrote:I'm signed up for the housing tour, but I've been living in the loop since graduation and am well aware of the prices and neighborhoods. The only real benefit to go is to get an inside tour of the buildings and troll the group for a roommate (I touched on this earlier, but it drastically drops your COL).

However, I heard that the housing tour gets late pick on ASW events because they get back so late, thus I may be wasting time by doing the tour.

Which option should I pick? You may use the blank space as scratch paper. Your proctor will notify you when 5 minutes remain in this section.


you have to sign up separately for the housing tour? is it not part of the ASW?

The housing tour is optional. I think you are supposed to sign up, but I'm not totally sure.


Yes, it's an early-morning optional event. IIRC, it is the first event and there are no alternatives. I just wanted to see if anyone had investigated, talked to StudentSpace, or found out anything special about this event besides tours. If it's just tours and basic info, it's pointless (for me) - I can name many websites off the top of my head that have much more expansive selection.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby Kikero » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.


0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:02 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.


0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.


while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.


0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.


while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend

I am a person who runs, slowly and reluctantly, but I hesitate to call myself "a runner." :P

I am totally looking forward to discovering interesting running routes in the city, though! I've been doing laps around my friend's suburban neighborhood for too long.

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:54 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.


0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.


while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend


I wouldn't call myself a "runner", but I try to get in my 16 miles per week, actually a little worried about Chicago in that respect, does it get too cold to run outside? My guess would be "probably."

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby basilseal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd love to play some tennis- my usual partner pulled his ACL dancing on Saint Patrick's Day.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 pm

terriers wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Kikero wrote:Sort of random, but anybody here play tennis? I noticed that there are some courts right across the street when I visited the campus.


0_o this is going in the pro column for northwestern. <3 tennis, and that would be an amazing stress reliever.


while we're talking about sports, anyone a runner? need to find running buddies if i attend


I wouldn't call myself a "runner", but I try to get in my 16 miles per week, actually a little worried about Chicago in that respect, does it get too cold to run outside? My guess would be "probably."
My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cactuarX3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:10 am

oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:24 am

cactuarX3 wrote:oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually


Probably puts most law students to shame.

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby cmob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

cactuarX3 wrote:oh i don't want to give the impression that i'm some sort of professional, far from it, i probably do like 10 miles a week usually


Let me know come Fall if you need a running partner. If this year is anything like the last, you could run straight through Winter as long as you have warm clothes. There was rarely enough ice on the ground to be a running hazard.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby JustE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm


terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby terriers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.


Yeah, I usually go into about the low 30s and that's it.

Guessing you're a hockey fan here too? Happy to see that hockey has made a big comeback in Chicago, even if they beat the Flyers a couple years ago.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:59 pm

terriers wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My guess would also be "probably," but that how many days it gets too cold depends on you. I can run below freezing and be ok. Probably mid-20s would be my comfort limit, and I assume Chicago's gonna have some days below that. If your comfort limit is 50 degrees, you're going to have issues.


Yeah, I usually go into about the low 30s and that's it.

Guessing you're a hockey fan here too? Happy to see that hockey has made a big comeback in Chicago, even if they beat the Flyers a couple years ago.
Hockey fan (NJ Devils) and rec league player! I've never lived in an NHL city before. I'll definitely be attending some Blackhawks games when I can afford it.

I currently run 2x/week, about 4-5 miles each time. In Chicago I'll be increasing my number of runs because I won't be playing hockey 2x/week anymore. :cry: Maybe that will turn me into an actual "runner." :P

(And by "run" I mean run about a mile, walk for a 1/4 mile, run, walk, run, walk. I haven't yet mastered the slow-and-steady constant run yet, although I am improving.)




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest